Windows 10: System and compressed memory & System interrupts unfixable CPU usage

Discus and support System and compressed memory & System interrupts unfixable CPU usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi! So my friend has a PC with Windows 10 (installed from USB-Stick with the WindowsMediaCreationTool). It ran fine for about two weeks, which is when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by yongyung, May 29, 2016.

1. yongyung Win User

System and compressed memory & System interrupts unfixable CPU usage

Hi! So my friend has a PC with Windows 10 (installed from USB-Stick with the WindowsMediaCreationTool). It ran fine for about two weeks, which is when the problem started: The "System and compressed memory" and "System interrupts" processes taking up *a lot* of CPU time even at idle. https://i.imgur.com/cDDZhRC.png
    The system is usable for web browsing and such, but everything that needs performance like games is severely hindered by these processes. It also doesn't allow the processor to ever go into a lower C-State ("power saving mode" / reduced multiplier), it runs at full speed all the time. Needless to say this is *extremely* annoying and defeats the purpose which the PC was built for in the first place (playing games). Now, this is what we have tried so far: After I couldn't find a solution, I just told him to re-format since that usually solves these kinds of problems. And it did! But only for around 3 days, then the problem was there again. Disconnecting all cables except for the monitor and power cables didn't help. Disabling devices in the device manager didn't help. Disabling automatic updates and Windows defender didn't help. So I just told him to re-format *again* just to see at what point the problem would appear. But this time, right after the system was booted up, and the usual update and search indexer processes were done, the same problem appeared again. So he tested his memory with memtest86, but found no errors. His SSD seems 100% healthy too, according to Crystal Disk Info. Then I tried profiling what actually takes up those CPU cycles to get a better understanding of the problem, and here are the results: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet But while doing that, somehow, the problem disappeared. So he refomatted the PC a third time just to see what happens, but the problem was still gone. The PC ran fine for around two days. But now the terror called "System and compressed memory" and "System interrupts" is back. And it's here to stay, apparently.

Since ACPI (see profiling results) seems somehow connected to the BIOS power management, I had him download the latest BIOS patch from the Asus website and flash his BIOS - with no avail. It didn't change anything. At this point I'm not sure what to do. He could try reformatting again 5 times until it's gone, but the problem would just appear again after a few days. I don't understand what the cause of this is (I suspect some sort of driver issue), and I'm completely out of ideas on what to try. I hope you people can help me.

In case you're wondering, he has a desktop PC, Asus Z97-P motherboard, Intel Pentium G2358 CPU, GTX 660, 8 GiB RAM, Samsung 850 Evo SSD. No additional storage is connected (except for an USB stick but disconnecting it doesn't do anything).

Edit: Booting in safe mode reduces CPU usage a bit, but doesn't solve the issue.

Edit: After re-installing multiple times, the issue doesn't go away and is immediately there after having installed the system. Since my friend never uses more than 3 GiB RAM anyway, isn't there a way to completely disable "System and compressed memory"?

:)

yongyung, May 29, 2016
  2. DenetteBoyd-King, May 29, 2016
  3. Linney Win User
    Linney, May 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, please feel free to search the forum for threads on "system and compressed memory" where you will find useful information and some fixes.

Here are some I collected on this topic:
    System and compressed memory- solutions.doc
    System and compressed memory.doc

Please read thru these, keep a list of what you try, then if you still have this problem, post again, listing what you have tried. Good luck!

dalchina, May 29, 2016
  5. yongyung Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions, but most of those we already tried. Disabling "show me tips about Windows" doesn't help. Booting into safe mode (just tried it) doesn't help either (although CPU usage goes down to 50%, which is still one core running at 100% so not that great), which I think also excludes the video driver from being the issue? The system isn't connected to an HDD, floppy or optical drive.

yongyung, May 29, 2016
  6. yongyung Win User
    Well apparently the problem is unsolvable. As I edited in above, my friend re-formatted multiple times and the problem is always there again immediately after installing Windows. Interestingly it was randomly gone for a few hours yesterday, but after restarting the PC it's there again. I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't give us a way to completely disable the compressed memory feature considering how buggy it is. Anyway, the only way seems to be to ditch Windows 10 and go back to Windows 7.

yongyung, May 30, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Is your friend's PC known to be Win 10 compatible, or a custom build? If the latter, it rather becomes his responsibility to diagnose incompatibilities or issues, unfortunately.

Does the problem arise if you do a clean boot?
    How about Safe Mode?
    What if you disable certain drivers?

dalchina, May 30, 2016
  8. yongyung Win User

It's a custom build. (Components are quite non-exotic though, can be found in the entry post.)
    Clean boot and safe mode both see a small reduction in CPU usage, but don't solve the issue. Disabling audio/network/graphics devices in the device manager and then restarting doesn't help either. :/

yongyung, May 30, 2016
  9. MrBill Win User
    I am having the same issue. I'm starting to wonder if it is an ASUS thing. In my case I'm on an x99-deluxe mobo with an 8 core 5960x. I have 32Gb of RAM. It can't really slow this machine down too much. It keeps the CPU at 8% usage when idle However, it does warm up a bit over time. It seems to enjoy jumping to one core and then another after a few seconds. Unfortunately it pegs the core on the top end, which is overclocked to almost 4Ghz. No software on this machine comes close to pegging any of the cores other than my games. So I'm wondering what the heck.

It may sound like a nit, but heat is what kills components. I don't need cores heating up, or my SSD getting tapped at random for reasons nobody, as far as I can tell, can figure out. Like you I've tried all the ideas, and nothing works. Hate to go back to Windows 7. I actually prefer 10, or at least I did until this thing showed up.

MrBill, Jun 21, 2016
  10. yongyung Win User
    Could definitely be an Asus thing. I mean it pretty much has to be something pretty deep in the system like a driver or firmware. Sadly my friend doesn't live near me so I can't just swap out every component to see what happens. The current "solution" is to restart the PC until the problem disappears (usually takes like 5-10 tries), and then keep it on as long as possible, lol. He's probably going to install Win 7 again at the end of the month when he doesn't have to worry about it auto-upgrading to Win 10 anymore.

yongyung, Jun 22, 2016
  11. MrBill Win User
    I replied to this on another thread in the forum as well. After thinking through it, testing some more, including a fresh install, and comparing to all my non-ASUS machines I came to one conclusion. It honestly shouldn't matter. The purpose of the process is to compress unused apps into memory and leave them there unless memory is needed. Then they go to the swapfile. Given its purpose, it should have been coded to use minimal resources and to have a hard stop on how long it runs in idle mode.

Instead, it's banging the CPU or memory based on a driver or app. There should be no dependency there. This is a kernel process. So to use a technical term, "Sumpin' broke." Likely the developers when with dynamic memory and resource allocation, which makes sense, unless you don't cap it. While the process is a good idea, it's odd to find it in the core OS designed to run on everything from low resource hardware to a high end gaming machine like mine. I can't imagine what happens on some hardware where this occurs in battery mode. Hopefully it's fixed in the anniversary release. If not, they need to smash the bug before the release date.

MrBill, Jun 23, 2016
  12. MrBill Win User
    I may have stumbled on our solution, thanks to ROG users. What they describe, and the solution is exactly what I'm seeing, and what I think a lot of people are seeing. It appears to revolve around ACPI.SYS.

The short version is I'm going to try something I had been considering. I'm going to load only the Windows 10 drivers and only the ASUS pieces I have to have. (Memory serves Microsoft already provides ACPI.SYS) We'll see what happens, but I have high hopes. BTW, although the forums focus on the AI Suite, this file is installed outside of that, at least if you download all the ASUS drivers for your PC. Since other models don't all seem to have this issue, I'm guessing the MSFT version works.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...x1f9c0)-go-mad
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...th-AI-Suite-3/

MrBill, Jun 23, 2016
  13. MrBill Win User

I believe I solved this, at least for the ASUS. First, I did a vanilla install, no ASUS drivers other than my wireless adapter. This did not fix the issue as I had hoped per the ROG Forum. Then I followed the instructions from the answer on this link: http://superuser.com/questions/10004...ry-compression I've had no problems since then.

MrBill, Jun 23, 2016
  14. MrBill Win User
    Just a quick update, I have been running with the "RunFullMemoryDiagnostic" turned off(disabled) under task scheduler in Microsoft/Windows/MemoryDiagnostic. Still no problems. CPU remains quiet, all programs etc. are running fine. No runaway memory issues etc. It appears to have fixed the problem.
    I realize there are a lot of "fixes" out there. I can say for my machine this definitely resolved the issue. Now the purpose of this job is to detect any issue with a PC's RAM memory. I'm sure after they optimize the code this feature will run better. Going back to all my previous posts though, there is something wrong with it currently. It could memory size (This box has 32GB of RAM vs. my 2n1 that only has 4GB and doesn't seem to have an issue.) It's possible it could be a driver problem, but given this task is part of the kernel I'm less inclined to think so.

In any case, it's a simple fix/test to disable the job if you are seeing this issue. Reboot, let the machine sit for about 5 minutes. If all remains quiet you should be good to go.

FYI, as for "System and Compressed Memory". This job should be running when your apps run. So if you see it jump up on the process list when you kick off an app, it simply means it is doing its job.

MrBill, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System and compressed memory & System interrupts unfixable CPU usage - Similar Threads - System compressed memory

2. System Interrupts 100% CPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Interrupts 100% CPU Usage: Same problem, new clean installation is not helping and Malwarebytes is not finding anything. When I open task manager it shows System Interrupts 100% CPU Usage and then disappears. If l leave open task manager then System Interrupts does not come up. I noticed this 100% cuz...
  3. Unusual -System interrupt- CPU usage

Unusual -System interrupt- CPU usage: So...the problem is that i forgot that my laptop was on and it ran out of battery, so i charged it again; But after i turned it on, System interrupt was using 10-15% of CPU instead of 1-5%.So i did these:1-System diagnosticfrom MyAsus app2-System diagnosticfrom...
  4. System interrupts CPU usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System interrupts CPU usage: Hey guys, i’ve recently stumbled across another problem with my laptop. Whenever i attach a monitor, it becomes extremely slow, and when i check my task manager, it says something called “system interrupts” is taking 80 to 100% of my CPU. Anybody know any solution? I’ve tried...
  5. system interrupts high cpu usage

system interrupts high cpu usage: I'm having issued with system interrupts using high cpu usage after playing a game and thr game crash. I have unplug all my external hardware and restarted my computer but the system interrupts is still using high cpu. I havent try shutting down my computer and how long...
  6. System interrupts 100% CPU usage

System interrupts 100% CPU usage: I've been having an intermittent problem for a while now whereby Windows 10 (build 18362.418) will become completely unresponsive for about a couple of minutes. If I'm quick and launch Task Manager after it becomes responsive I can see that the System Interrupts entry is...
  7. System and compressed memory high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and compressed memory high CPU usage: Hi, recently the process called System and compressed memory started acting up, when I'm browsing demanding sites CPU usage spikes to 20%-40% causing my sounds to get crackles and freeze for a split second. It's extremely annoying and was not happening before. It started this...
  8. "System and Compressed Memory" constant 20-25% CPU usage

"System and Compressed Memory" constant 20-25% CPU usage: This is a problem that has been going on for about a week now and I've tried A LOT of solutions. This started when I wanted to play Battlefield 1 beta and it said I needed to update my driver, my computer had 0 issues prior to this after the install system and compressed...
  9. System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage)

System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage): Hello there, I am here today as I have had a problem with System and Compressed Memory since I installed Windows 10 back in December of 2015. Now keep in mind, this isn't a normal issue, as I have yet to actually find anything in regards to what to do to fix this. (I have...
  10. High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory

High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory: Hello everyone , well, for a while I 'm having problems with locking while I surf the internet after five minutes browsing the facebook the browser begins to catch and is impossible to do anything , I noticed that this occurs when the system and compressed memory reaches 15%...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system and compressed memory system interupts