Windows 10: System and Reserved Keeps Growing.

Discus and support System and Reserved Keeps Growing. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, So I'm posting here because I have yet to find a thread with an actual solution to this problem online. I've seen other folks ask about this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jod1221, Nov 5, 2018.

1. jod1221 Win User

System and Reserved Keeps Growing.

Hi, So I'm posting here because I have yet to find a thread with an actual solution to this problem online. I've seen other folks ask about this question, and so far, no real solutions.

My concern is that the system and reserved folder on windows 10 seems to grow at an alarming rate no matter what I do. I have a 2016 HP Envy laptop. Over the past few months my performance got worse and worse, with disk usage and CPU usage spiking to 100% during really low power activities such as web browsing. I also noticed that over time my startup got slower and slower.

I still had over 400 GB of free space. When I checked my storage though, I noticed that the section labeled "system and reserved" folder was over 240 GB. This was 240 GB that I could not modify or delete because it was all "essential" for windows to run properly. I ran disk cleaners, even did a full defrag, but nothing worked. I called tech support and they thought it was because of a partition I had created for an Ubuntu boot, so they suggested that I do a full clean install. The partition was not the problem.

I did what they said. I completely gutted the computer did a fresh clean reboot of the operating system. With a fresh install, I saw that the system and reserve files were at around 20 GB, which is normal. That's how much space windows and it's essential files should take up. I thought that my problem was solved, but I have noticed that the system and reserved folder has started to grow again. I've been keeping a log on my computer, and it grows almost 1GB a day. I have no idea why this is happening, and it's getting really frustrating.

I have run a full virus scan, I've tried defragging and as stated earlier I have reinstalled the OS with a clean install. I really want a solution to this. It makes no sense that window's essential files keep growing and growing. At this rate I'll have to clean install my OS every few months, which is totally insane. All the answers I've seen from microsoft on this topic say to do exactly what I've already done. Let me tell you, it doesn't work.

If that's just how windows 10 is built, then Microsoft has a serious design flaw. If anyone has any idea how to work around this, please let me know!

:)

jod1221, Nov 5, 2018

2. System & reserved files are keep on growing and taking up all the disk space

Why are System files keep on growing, how to free up ?

Chandra Mavuluru, Nov 5, 2018
  3. System & reserved files are keep on growing and taking up all the disk space

Before you can find out WHY the folders are growing, you need to find out WHICH folders are growing. This tool should help:

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

A Google search for the offending folders is likely to answer your WHY question.

Frederik Long, Nov 5, 2018
  4. System and Reserved Keeps Growing.

System and Reserved files keeps growing Windows 10

Hi,

Backup and recovery software or corrupted system files are some of the factors which can take up some space in the system and reserved partition. To isolate your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Which Windows build version is running on your device? Type
      winver in the search box and press Enter to help you identify the build.
    • Have you made any changes on your device after the recent clean install of
      Windows 10
      ?

Meanwhile, if you have a back and recovery software installed on your device. Temporarily uninstall it and ensure to delete any unnecessary contents, files, or folders. Once you're done, monitor the system and reserved partition and check if space is still
    used up.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

System and Reserved Keeps Growing.

1. System and Reserved Keeps Growing. - Similar Threads - System Reserved Keeps

2. System & reserved on secondary drive growing with each file copy then resets on reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System & reserved on secondary drive growing with each file copy then resets on reboot: Okay, what is going on here.System & reserved on secondary drive grows with the size of a file copy for each file copy, then resets when windows is rebooted.What do I mean? This:System & Reserved @ reboot: 207MBSystem & Reserved after copying a 1.7GBip file? 1.97GB System &...
  3. System & reserved on secondary drive growing with each file copy then resets on reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System & reserved on secondary drive growing with each file copy then resets on reboot: Okay, what is going on here.System & reserved on secondary drive grows with the size of a file copy for each file copy, then resets when windows is rebooted.What do I mean? This:System & Reserved @ reboot: 207MBSystem & Reserved after copying a 1.7GBip file? 1.97GB System &...
  4. System and Reserved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System and Reserved: This is picture of my C drive SYSTEM AND RESERVED you can see it got 40.6 gb for system and reserved is it normal because i dont think it is yesterday it jumped from 39.6 to 40.6 on just on storage self check in hp appso i need help...
  5. System Restore Point Keeps Growing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore Point Keeps Growing: Hi to all. I posted this question quite a while back and never really got a clear answer as I recall. My SSD is 256GB. It contains the operating system and all of my files. Not even half of the drive is being used. My question is more of interest rather than causing a...
  6. System and Reserved

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System and Reserved: For some odd reason it says on my laptop that it has 970GBs in System files is this something that can be fixed so I can have more space? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-and-reserved/ec3c362e-ef97-4d90-826d-937510903cdc
  7. WaasMedic file keeps growing

WaasMedic file keeps growing: Simple question: Why is my WAASMEDIC file growing every single time I log on to my computer? It started out in the KB realm, but has now reached 5.93 MB. I know this isn't a huge bite of space, but if it keeps growing at this pace, then it will be soon. Anyone?...
  8. System & Reserved

System & Reserved: So the majority of my disk space is taken up by System & Reserved as shown below. [ATTACH] I tried using Disk Cleanup, but it only cleaned up 8 MB. I do have WinDirStat, but the problem is I don't know which files are safe to delete. As I keep looking up each file and...
  9. System folder growing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System folder growing: Hello, Last night before shutting down the computer, system folder C: size was 27.8 GB. Today, about an hour after starting computer, it grew up to 30 GB.! There were no any updates. Checked which files \ folders modified \ created today, there were no findings. I ran...
  10. System folder is "growing"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System folder is "growing": Hello,Have some questions about update / upgrade windows 10, and other items.1. It is recomended ("PSA: Create Backup Reinstall Media for Your Current Version of Windows 10 Before Upgrading to Windows 10 Creators Update") to make a backup reinstal media by creating a recovery...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system and reserved file keeps growing