Windows 10: System and reserved taking up a lot of space

Discus and support System and reserved taking up a lot of space in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm trying to install some games on my laptop 512 GB SSD and went to check on my storage to see what I can delete. Then I realized that system and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Yamato Ogiso, Mar 16, 2023.

1. System and reserved taking up a lot of space

I'm trying to install some games on my laptop 512 GB SSD and went to check on my storage to see what I can delete. Then I realized that system and reserve is taking up 234 GB of storage. When I looked into the details, it said System files 20.1 GB, Reserved storage 7.04 GB, Virtual memory 195 GB, and Hibernation files 12.3 GB. I'm pretty sure that virtual memory shouldn't take pretty much half of my SSD. Please help, Thank you.

:)

Yamato Ogiso, Mar 16, 2023
  2. Rey Bel1 Win User

windows 10 system and reserve taking up too much space

Hi,

Windows Restore Points does eat up tremendous amount of your disk space and clearing it would indeed help free up some space. Aside from restore points, there are other invisible factors that can eat away your hard drive space like temporary and cached files.
    For us to better understand why you keep on getting error messages about your storage space being full, we would like to ask the following questions:

• When did you first encounter the issue?
    • Which Windows version and build is you device running? Type winver on the search bar, and then press
      Enter to find out.
    • What specific error message or error code did you get?
    • Could you repost the screenshots again?

In the meantime, we suggest you check the steps provided by Greg Carmack on this

thread
    about clearing system and reserve after an upgrade and see if it helps.

We look forward to your response.

Rey Bel1, Mar 16, 2023
  3. Maxm15 Win User
    System & reserved using up lots of space

I'm running on a 117 GB SSD as my boot drive and 1TB HDD for most storage, but it seems windows is taking up too much space on my SSD.

In settings it says under SYSTEM > Storage > C: >SYSTEM & RESERVED that System files are using up 39.9 GB, but the requirement for windows 10 is 20 GB of space.

I'm wondering why its using up so much space and if there's any way to fix it other than a clean install because Id rather not lose my stuff, and finding and backing up game save files is quite tedious and I expect Id miss something.

I've already looked at the page file and its about 2GB, so its not that

Hibernation file is listed separately from the 40GB in settings, so is system restore.

Maxm15, Mar 16, 2023
  4. Anna_IV Win User

System and reserved taking up a lot of space

System and reserved taking 41.7 GB of space

Problem: Something is taking up a lot of space on my PC

Initial Analysis of the storage showed that System & Reserved is using 41.7GB of storage.
    System and reserved taking up a lot of space 4eac692b-5105-448b-9d29-de44dceda950?upload=true.png

Analysis using TreeSize:
    I did some research on why I have little available storage space and saw some posts online that it may be due to logs or something that is causing the System & Reserved to be taking up a lot of storage. The suggestions made said to download Treesize to get a better analysis of the storage sub-structure.

System and reserved taking up a lot of space e3d8b365-da90-4022-93d1-d18eb4c15983?upload=true.png

TreeSize showed that 56.9 GB is in the sub-folder PendingDeletes. I tried deleting the files but it said I did not have permission to delete files. I needed permission from TrustedInstaller as that was the administrator.

I was able to change the administration privileges to my account to delete and I encountered another permissions error.

System and reserved taking up a lot of space daa765ae-5ee3-4756-b3dd-0a42c4823d36?upload=true.png

Has anyone had this problem before?

Anna_IV, Mar 16, 2023
Thema:

System and reserved taking up a lot of space

1. System and reserved taking up a lot of space - Similar Threads - System reserved taking

2. System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space: So I've been having this issue where my windows system and reserved space is taking up way over 100+ GB of storage on my PC which is far from normal. I've tried a few things already and gotten nowhere. I even tried using the index options method and performed a restart along...
  3. System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space: So I've been having this issue where my windows system and reserved space is taking up way over 100+ GB of storage on my PC which is far from normal. I've tried a few things already and gotten nowhere. I even tried using the index options method and performed a restart along...
  4. System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. System and reserved taking up a lot of space

System and reserved taking up a lot of space: I'm trying to install some games on my laptop 512 GB SSD and went to check on my storage to see what I can delete. Then I realized that system and reserve is taking up 234 GB of storage. When I looked into the details, it said System files 20.1 GB, Reserved storage 7.04 GB,...
  6. System and reserved taking 41.7 GB of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System and reserved taking 41.7 GB of space: Problem: Something is taking up a lot of space on my PCInitial Analysis of the storage showed that System & Reserved is using 41.7GB of storage.Analysis using TreeSize: I did some research on why I have little available storage space and saw some posts online that it may be...
  7. System and reserved taking 41.7 GB of space

System and reserved taking 41.7 GB of space: Problem: Something is taking up a lot of space on my PCInitial Analysis of the storage showed that System & Reserved is using 41.7GB of storage.Analysis using TreeSize: I did some research on why I have little available storage space and saw some posts online that it may be...
  8. Win 10 - System & Reserved using up lots of space (2019)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 - System & Reserved using up lots of space (2019): Hi there I read the 2016 thread (not closed) but other than following the advice of doing a new windows install to see if it resolves I could not find any other help. Following the various advice from the 2016 thread I am left with the following - As you can see Windows...
  9. System & reserved taking up over 100GB of space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System & reserved taking up over 100GB of space: My computer was warning me about having limited space left, so I checked what was taking up space on my PC and saw this [img] I saw somebody recommend TreeSize to look into what was taking up space and saw this [img] The installer folder and srudb.dat are taking up...
  10. System image takes up a lot of space (500GB)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image takes up a lot of space (500GB): I really do not know what is normal size for a system image of windows 10, but mine takes up 500 GB of 1 TB harddisk. That seems to me a little bit excessive. Is there a tool I can use to make it smaller without disrupting it. 93781