Windows 10: System Backup before RAID 0

Discus and support System Backup before RAID 0 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hey Guys, I am planning on doing a RAID 0 with my two 1TB HDD's and I was wondering if a system image backup onto an external HDD will work for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by timothyski, Jun 17, 2017.

1. System Backup before RAID 0

Hey Guys,
    I am planning on doing a RAID 0 with my two 1TB HDD's and I was wondering if a system image backup onto an external HDD will work for restoring my OS, programs, and files to the newly raided drives.

:)

timothyski, Jun 17, 2017

2. Lost one of 2 RAID 0 System SSD after Windows updates

I had been using 2 SSD with RAID 0 running Windows 10 for 2+ years. About 2 or 3 weeks ago, after the Windows 10 update (I think it was since Dec 12 update) one of my RAID 0 SSD is shown as error on POST. Motherboard still recognized the HDD but it can't
    join the RAID 0 array. Since I can't boot the system, I can't tell what is the exact built/version I was running before the update and after the update.

Any real help would be greatly appreciated.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup.

Ninja_2224, Jun 17, 2017
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Setting up RAID on existing Win10 machine

What kind of RAID are you asking about: RAID 0 (Striping) or RAID 1 (mirroring)? Or some other kind?

RAID 0 is supposed to improve performance, but in my experience, it doesn't.

RAID 1 (mirroring) is *not* a backup solution. RAID 1 uses two or
    more drives, each a duplicate of the others, to provide redundancy, not backup. It's used in situations (almost always within corporations, not in homes) where any downtown can't be tolerated, because the way it works is that if one drive fails the other
    takes over seamlessly.

Although some people thing of RAID 1 as a backup technique, that is *not* what it is, since it's subject to
    simultaneous loss of the original and the mirror to many of the most common dangers threatening your data--severe power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, theft of the computer, etc. Most companies that use RAID 1 also have a strong external
    backup plan in place.

See "Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea"

Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea

Ken Blake, Jun 17, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

System Backup before RAID 0

Raid 0 means it writes data to both disk but not the same data so each disk only has parts of the data that's why if one disk dies you loose everything. So you would need to image both disks while they are not being used. Unless you have very specific use for raid it's a waste of disks with on a few benefits

Samuria, Jun 17, 2017
  5. I've already done my research on raiding drives and I know the pros and cons of them. Currently only one HDD is being used. My motherboard came with software to raid drives but the system wont recognize them as raided. I have the option before the OS boots to enter a raiding tool but it is going to wipe and reformat both drives. My question is will a system image from one drive be able to restored onto the newly raided drives?

timothyski, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Backup before RAID 0

1. System Backup before RAID 0 - Similar Threads - System Backup before

2. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  3. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  4. Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks: I am considering RAID 0 for the system disks of my next desktop build. The raid would be setup in BIOS. Does anyone knows if this is going to work with windows 11?...
  5. Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks: I am considering RAID 0 for the system disks of my next desktop build. The raid would be setup in BIOS. Does anyone knows if this is going to work with windows 11?...
  6. Moving from raid 0 to non raid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving from raid 0 to non raid: I want to move away from my nvme raid 0 to a non raid nvme without reinstalling. Aomei backupper doesn't work, bsod. Any other solutions? submitted by /u/collins_amber [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l63z0n/moving_from_raid_0_to_non_raid/
  7. Install Windows on Raid 0

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows on Raid 0: I have an i3-3240 processor, an ASRock H61M-VG3 motherboard and 2 Hitachi HDP725050GLA360G. My question is: what do I need to install Windows on the 2 hdds in Raid 0? And I would like if you can find me what's needed....
  8. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  9. System Image Backup - 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Backup - 0 bytes: Earlier backups from two PCs show all files in the WindowsBackup folder. But in 1909, though it goes through all the (time consuming) motions and reports success, the folder is empty. Two attempts. Has the feature been disabled? 156977
  10. Defraggler + SSD raid 0

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defraggler + SSD raid 0: So i've lived with this for alotta years. Its now on my short list of "things that irk me" to sort out. Ive waited iteration after iteration for piriform to sort it out. I've installed driver after driver for my raid controller. Different versions of windows. The problem...