Windows 10: System behaves as if CTRL key was permanently pressed

Discus and support System behaves as if CTRL key was permanently pressed in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I don't know what to do, it's been happening since about a week and a half but today it got worse than ever, happening every 2 minutes or so for about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/insertpikachuface, Jan 20, 2021.

1. System behaves as if CTRL key was permanently pressed

I don't know what to do, it's been happening since about a week and a half but today it got worse than ever, happening every 2 minutes or so for about 5 minutes. I am on a laptop if that helps. I tried the laptop keyboard, 2 usb keyboards and a bluetooth one, all with the same problem. Rebooting only works for about 3 minutes. Anyone got a fix?

Edit: windows version is 18363.1316

submitted by /u/insertpikachuface
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/insertpikachuface, Jan 20, 2021
  2. DylanMika Win User

Computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when it is not

Hey guys,

I've been experiencing an issue with my pc (Windows 10) recently where my computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when in fact it is not. For example, typing "w" in a web browser executes the CTRL + w command, and so forth. Viewing the onscreen
    keyboard confirms that the CTRL key is pressed down. Here are the things I have tried to fix this:

• press both CTRL keys for 15 seconds
    • turn off sticky keys, toggle keys, and filter keys
    • switch out my keyboard
    • plug my keyboard into a different usb port
    • uninstall and reinstall my keyboard drivers
    • hold CTRL + Shift for 15 seconds
    • reinstall windows
    • run system file checker

The problem seems to be completely random, but occurs mostly when I'm running a program other than a web browser, such as a game. Any help with fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DylanMika, Jan 20, 2021
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Both CTRL keys not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Did you make any changes in your computer prior to this issue?

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Method 1: To check if Ctrl keys work in Onscreen keyboard.

• Press Windows Key + R and type osk and hit Enter.
    Try using Ctrl keys and check if that helps.

if you still face the issue, try Method 2.

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Jan 20, 2021
  4. System behaves as if CTRL key was permanently pressed

Why Windows 10 don't goes to login screen after CTRL+ALT+DELETE?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

CTRL+ALT+DELETE will open you log-in screen in Windows 10 too. I suggest you to try pressing
    Ctrl+SHIFT+Esc key and check if it opens the Task manager. If issue persist, I suggest you to try below given steps and check if it works.

This issue may occur due to some system file corruption.
    I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
      • Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

System behaves as if CTRL key was permanently pressed

1. System behaves as if CTRL key was permanently pressed - Similar Threads - System behaves CTRL

2. Windows Key is permanently pressed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Key is permanently pressed.: Hello,In windows 10, from time to time my windows key is permanently pressed. It acts like if I am pressing it when I am not. When I only press the E key, or the space bar, it lunches file explorer or keyboard language selection. I don’t want my windows key to be permanently...
  3. Windows Key is permanently pressed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Key is permanently pressed.: Hello,In windows 10, from time to time my windows key is permanently pressed. It acts like if I am pressing it when I am not. When I only press the E key, or the space bar, it lunches file explorer or keyboard language selection. I don’t want my windows key to be permanently...
  4. Windows Key is permanently pressed.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys: Couple weeks ago my PC started pressing these keys randomly and nothing helped, i will try reinstall windows from 11 to 10 and if problem won't disappear i will have no clues what's wrong with it....
  6. PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys: Couple weeks ago my PC started pressing these keys randomly and nothing helped, i will try reinstall windows from 11 to 10 and if problem won't disappear i will have no clues what's wrong with it....
  7. Files deleted permanently for pressing ctrl + z on the wrong window.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files deleted permanently for pressing ctrl + z on the wrong window.: So I was ironically trying to make a back up of my android phone as it has a lot of important pictures. I made a new folder on desktop and went to the folder on my android selected everything and then moved them to the new folder on my PC. I decided to undo the move, so I...
  8. Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??: I'm using surface pro 5th generation with Windows 10. Recently, it is acting as if Ctrl key is pressed while it is not. Please assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-key-acting-as-if-it-is-pressed/c0665232-f51b-421d-9e22-71bc6dcc5535
  9. Ctrl key keeps being pressed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ctrl key keeps being pressed: I have this issue since few days ago, but now has become much more severe. Basically after i log on to window the ctrl keys are presssed, as indicated by the on screen keyboard as shown in the attached picture. [IMG] i tried unplugging the keyboard and using another one...
  10. Windows behaving like the Up key is pressed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows behaving like the Up key is pressed: Hi, In the last month or so I've had an issue where Windows seems to think, depending on what the pointer is focused on, the up button of the keyboard is pressed. Everything works as per normal but if, for example, I click on the Power button of the menu, a white box is...