Windows 10: system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

Discus and support system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sadagopan A, Oct 3, 2023.

1. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system. Then I installed windows 10 pro using a bootable USB stick which went completely fine and system booted up with windows 10. However when I tried to change my ssd as the priority boot drive in bios, my drive doesn't show up. All I could find is windows boot manager, IPv4 and IPv6 drives.What went wrong? is there any solution

:)

Sadagopan A, Oct 3, 2023

2. SSD working properly, not showing up in boot order in BIOS

I'm currently still on Windows 10, as I performed a roll-back by wiping my SSD and using a third-party data migration tool to move an older version of Windows 10 to the SSD.

As of right now, Windows UEFI reads my storage and states my drive is healthy, will show up as the main boot drive on BIOS settings, and Windows will launch correctly so as long as my HDD is disabled or unmounted. However, once I enable the HDD, the system forcibly launches from the HDD. I go into BIOS to change boot order, and the SSD is not listed in the available drives to boot. From there, if I exit without changing or saving any settings in BIOS, the system then somehow automatically jumps to the SSD as intended.

In summary, it appears as though my computer will not boot from my SSD unless I unmount/disable the factory HDD, or if I launch either the BIOS or UEFI and exit without changing anything.

BornToLose129, Oct 3, 2023
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    New SSD wont boot

Hi John

Boot into BIOS, is SATA Mode set to AHCI to enable booting from an SSD drive?

Is the SSD drive set a top of the Boot Priority list?

Did you try connecting that SSD to the SATA Port normally used by your old HDD?

DaveM121, Oct 3, 2023
  4. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

BIOS SSD Priority

I am going to change out my HDD to a SSD. Right now the BIOS does not have a SSD listed in the BIOS boot priority. Does the SSD show up in the BIOS after the SSD is plugged in? Or is there some command prompt that I can use to add SSD prior to plugging in the SSD?

WilliamBrown1951, Oct 3, 2023
Thema:

system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

1. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive. - Similar Threads - system booting ssd

2. My bios is not showing SSD to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My bios is not showing SSD to boot: My bios is not showing the SSD to boot how to solve this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-bios-is-not-showing-ssd-to-boot/9776456b-dcb8-4a52-8b65-372fe677f844
  3. My bios is not showing SSD to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My bios is not showing SSD to boot: My bios is not showing the SSD to boot how to solve this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-bios-is-not-showing-ssd-to-boot/9776456b-dcb8-4a52-8b65-372fe677f844
  4. My bios is not showing SSD to boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  6. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  7. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .Getting new SSD drive to boot up: I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old...
  8. SSD not showing up in boot order in BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD not showing up in boot order in BIOS: I have an SSD that I want to use as my boot drive. I recently cloned my 250GB HDD to my 240GB SSD with Macrium Reflect (I want to put the operating system on the SSD and use the HDD for storage of videos, large games, etc.) This SSD shows up in task manager, but when I go...
  9. SSD not showing in BIOS Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not showing in BIOS Boot Menu: Hello everyone, my laptop came with windows installed in HDD. I decided to buy SSD and install Windows in it. With the help of USB boot device, I formatted the hard drive and installed Windows on SSD, but forgot to format the reserved partition of HDD. Now SSD doesn't show up...
  10. SSD not showing up in BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD not showing up in BIOS: Hey! Around one week ago my SSD started to troll me, and my PC started to get blue screen every day with an error code of UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION, I didn't cared about it too much, I jist restarted my PC and ignored it. But today I started to get blue screens every 30...