Windows 10: System cannot find hard drive to put system image on

Discus and support System cannot find hard drive to put system image on in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Greetings, I have a new rig. I want to make a backup system image to another drive (3Gb SATA). It works well (gaming drive). And is "seen" by Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Shawn, May 9, 2017.

1. Shawn Win User

System cannot find hard drive to put system image on

Greetings,

I have a new rig. I want to make a backup system image to another drive (3Gb SATA). It works well (gaming drive). And is "seen" by Win 10 in File Explorer and otherwise works.

But the system backup windows cannot find it. I hit the refresh option and it does not show up.

I have 1.09 Tb of free space and the primary drive I will copy is 294 Gb.

Thank you,

win 10 (Creators Update)
    i7-7700
    8Gb
    480 SSD
    Geforce 1070

:)

Shawn, May 9, 2017
  2. JimEnniss Win User

Installing Windows 10 on a new hard drive

Installing Windows 10 on new hard drive. Recovering content of old hard drive.

1. Save a system image backup on external hard drive.

2. Make a USB recovery drive.

I mount the SSD and boot from the recovery drive and select Advanced options > system image recovery and I get this error message.

System image restore failed, can't restore system image to computer with different firmware. Image was created on computer using BIOS and this Computer is using EFI.

I cannot get Windows 10 operating system and all my files installed on the new hard drive.

JimEnniss, May 9, 2017
  3. Oliver127 Win User
    How do I load a system image located on the hard drive I am using? Restoring windows using system image wouldn't work.

When my old hard drive crashed, I bought a new 1 tb hard drive to create a system image on it. After I created the system image on my new hard drive, the old one crashed again. Using a windows 10 installation USB I made from my laptop, I tried to restore
    windows using the system image on the new hard drive. However, windows prompted me with the message "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer. Attach the backup hard disk or insert the final DVD from a backup set and click retry." I tried everything
    else and nothing worked. I have looked everywhere for solutions but I couldn't get it to work. Finally, I decided to install windows 10 onto my new hard drive. Everything is fine, just that my computer doesn't have any of my older documents, pictures, or data
    from the system image on my new hard drive.

Is there any way can I load the system image onto my computer so that my computer is just how it was before my old hard drive failed? I have the system image on my new hard drive.

Thanks

Oliver127, May 9, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

Does wbadmin command find it?

From winpe:

wbadmin get versions -backuptarget:d:

Obviously replace d: with the drive letter ( as seen form winpe) where your image is stored. (I assume it is in the original folder structure).

SIW2, May 9, 2017
  5. Shawn Win User
    You mean reboot to the repair menu (blue screen) and go to the DOS option and type the string?

Shawn, May 9, 2017
  6. SIW2 Win User
    Yes. The wbadmin restore functions are only in winpe.

SIW2, May 9, 2017
  7. Shawn Win User
    Am I to understand this will recover my computer from the version I find? I do not want to recover a drive. I want to create a system image on this drive (OP: "to put system image on"). The drive has nothing on it except games. There is no system image or backup files on it.

Shawn, May 9, 2017
  8. SIW2 Win User

If you have an esp partition you will have to restore that as well ( restore it first if it was the first partition ).

SIW2, May 9, 2017
  9. SIW2 Win User
    The -backuptarget is the drive containing the system image. You will have to have that attached so winpe can see it.

The -recovertarget is where you want to copy the contents of the image file.

That is the easy bit. You may need to fix the restored os drive letter. Tricky to do manually, so I included that function in these guys: NT6.zip

Fix Drive Letter section. Select the recoverytarget letter in the dropdown and click FIX. It is almost instant.

System cannot find hard drive to put system image on [​IMG]

SIW2, May 9, 2017
  10. SIW2 Win User
    You want to create a system image and save it onto a drive that doesn't show in system image GUI?

You coul try removing the drive letter in diskmgmt, then assign it another.

11. Shawn Win User
    FYI: my disk management: I am trying to copy (for the first time) a sys image on E.

Shawn, May 9, 2017
  12. SIW2 Win User
  13. Shawn Win User

Someone else suggested NTFS 4k sectors are not supported by win 10 backup.

Shawn, May 9, 2017
  14. Shawn Win User
    Curios...Win 10 thinks my E drive is a system drive! That's the drive I was trying to make a new system image on! What gives??

Shawn, May 10, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    All your problems will go away if you use this forums undeniably favourite backup up tool - Macrium Reflect Free.

cereberus, May 10, 2017
Thema:

1. System cannot find hard drive to put system image on - Similar Threads - System cannot find

2. Windows cannot find my system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot find my system image: Hello,I have a Surface Laptop 3 which is about 3-4 years old. It has recently refused to move beyond the black and white windows logo screen on switching on.I fouond a set of instructions which required my Serial No - typed this in and got a set of instructions for creating a...
  3. Windows cannot find my system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot find my system image: Hello,I have a Surface Laptop 3 which is about 3-4 years old. It has recently refused to move beyond the black and white windows logo screen on switching on.I fouond a set of instructions which required my Serial No - typed this in and got a set of instructions for creating a...
  4. Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image: I'm using Windows 10 version 1909. If I want to make a system image, can I format the external drive using NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT? Do all three formats work? 175544
  5. Cannot mount drive from system image on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot mount drive from system image on external hard drive: I have recently installed a new version of Windows which means I have lost my data. Before doing so, I created a system image so I could move important files back to my PC. However, if I try to do anyhting with this Hard Disk Image File then this popup appears: [ATTACH]...
  6. "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer"

"Windows cannot find a system image on this computer": [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]how to fix my laptop anybody help me please * Original title: How can i fix it help me [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-find-a-system-image-on-this/81ee505c-99c8-419f-bddc-22db92167dd5
  7. System Image not recognizing hard drive

System Image not recognizing hard drive: When I try to create a system image it doesn't recognize my external hard drive. I see it in the file explorer but it will only let me back up to a DVD ROM. I've initialized and formatted the external hard drive but to no avail. I can drag and drop any file on to the drive...
  8. Windows cannot find a system image on this computer

in Windows 10 News
    Windows cannot find a system image on this computer: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you are using a System Image that has been created by Windows Backup and Restore Tool, and using it restore your computer and you receive an error message – Windows cannot find a system image on this computer, then [...] This post Windows cannot find a...
  9. Install system image on new hard drive

Install system image on new hard drive: My hard drive was failing so I decided to create a system image to use on new hard drive. Every thing went well until I tried to load system image on new hard drive. Error message informed me that Win 10 uses UEFI, but my Win 7 used MBR. I upgraded my system from 7 to 10...
  10. Can't find system image on recovery drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't find system image on recovery drive: One of the 1st things I do with a new PC is create & test a recovery drive. This is the 3rd Windows 10 PC I've worked on-all Toshiba Satellites by coincidence. This one seems to have a problem, possibly creating the recovery drive and if not that then certainly using it. Or...