Windows 10: System can’t boot - can’t find hard drive after clean install of Windows 10

Discus and support System can’t boot - can’t find hard drive after clean install of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Lenovo Yoga Ideapad 11S - after clean install of Win 10, PC would boot OK but after a few minutes a blue screen would appear with a sideways smiley... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Legovf718, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Legovf718 Win User

System can’t boot - can’t find hard drive after clean install of Windows 10

Lenovo Yoga Ideapad 11S - after clean install of Win 10, PC would boot OK but after a few minutes a blue screen would appear with a sideways smiley face and message something went wrong, collecting info, will reboot. Now PC can’t boot - message wants me to select a device but none are shown.

:)

Legovf718, Jul 15, 2021

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jul 15, 2021
  3. Win 10 clean install question

This is what I would do:
    • Shrink the hard drive partition until it's small enough to fit on the SSD.
    • Clone the Windows 8.1 setup to the SSD.
    • Boot off the SSD and make sure that Windows 8.1 is happy (i.e., no complaints about activation).
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD.
    This way, you know that Windows 8.1 has a valid setup on the SSD before doing anything else. Plus, the Windows 10 upgrade will be processed much faster on the SSD. Finally, you still have the hard drive setup to fall back to if anything goes wrong.

Static~Charge, Jul 15, 2021
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Delta6326, Jul 15, 2021
Thema:

1. System can’t boot - can’t find hard drive after clean install of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - System can’t boot

2. Can’t sign into windows after attempted clean boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t sign into windows after attempted clean boot.: My computer kept blue screening so I attempted a clean boot, but I think I accidentally disabled the wrong programs. Now my start screen just says “Something happened and your pin isn’t available. Click to reset your pin” but it wont let me reset it. And its giving me an...
  3. Can’t sign into windows after attempted clean boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t sign into windows after attempted clean boot.: My computer kept blue screening so I attempted a clean boot, but I think I accidentally disabled the wrong programs. Now my start screen just says “Something happened and your pin isn’t available. Click to reset your pin” but it wont let me reset it. And its giving me an...
  4. Can’t clean install windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t clean install windows 11: I’ve recently put together a new pc but in the middle of setting it up i’ve accidentally selected windows 11 pro rather than windows 11 home. I’ve tried to clean install to select windows 11 home but the selection screen won’t pop up when I reset the computer. I’ve even tried...
  5. Windows 10/11 installation can’t find my hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10/11 installation can’t find my hard drive.: So recently I switched to Linux but I don’t like it anymore and I want to switch back to windows. And I installed the windows 10 and 11 iso’s onto the flash drive and when it tries to find where I want to install windows to, my hard drive doesn’t show up even though it’s...
  6. Windows 10/11 installation can’t find my hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10/11 installation can’t find my hard drive.: So recently I switched to Linux but I don’t like it anymore and I want to switch back to windows. And I installed the windows 10 and 11 iso’s onto the flash drive and when it tries to find where I want to install windows to, my hard drive doesn’t show up even though it’s...
  7. Windows 10/11 installation can’t find my hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Can’t find system image

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can’t find system image: Hi, when I updated windows 10 on my laptop it got stuck on the welcome page. I restored my laptop to the previous version before the update. now I am getting a message saying that windows can’t find a system image I didn’t back it up and I don’t want to lose my files If...
  9. Can’t do a clean install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t do a clean install: So I realize there are a lot of things I could have done better, but I’m hoping to salvage this situation. I recently upgraded my boot drive to an nvme ssd, but I was having issues with it not being detected when I’d put my PC into sleep mode. I wasn’t able to find a...
  10. Can’t boot clean install of Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can’t boot clean install of Win10: i have a dual boot setup and was not able to complete updates on one of the os’s so decided to do a clean install of it with the new update. Used a dvd install after downloading the iso file from MS, the install finished and i was able to get through the initia setup of the...