Windows 10: System completely freezes when scanning for new/changed hardware.

Discus and support System completely freezes when scanning for new/changed hardware. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, My PC completely freezes when detecting hardware changes (device manager) after about 3-4 seconds. I've left it for 1h+ to see if anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CWagner, Oct 12, 2015.

1. CWagner Win User

System completely freezes when scanning for new/changed hardware.

Hi,

My PC completely freezes when detecting hardware changes (device manager) after about 3-4 seconds.
    I've left it for 1h+ to see if anything happens over time, nothing.
    Tried it in safe mode, same problem.
    Removed geforce drivers, same problem

When frozen, all lights (and my screens) stay on, pressing capslock on KB doesn't turn the capslock light on/off.
    The manually initiated crash still works though, that's how I got the memory dumps in the attachment (usually there is no dump at all and the only way to "fix" it is to press the reboot button several times; not sure if the dump is helpful but I thought it couldn't hurt)

I've attached data gathered with the debug tool from the bsod section: debugBeta__PC_2015_10_09_17_13.zip

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers,
    Christoph

:)

CWagner, Oct 12, 2015
  2. Budy WN Win User

PCIe fax modem detected and installed by Windows 10, but cannot query and cannot use it

As I mentioned that Device Manager detected no errors, but I tried your suggestion. Below are the results.

Hardware and Devices

Issues found

Hardware changes might not have been detected
    Fixed

Scan for recent hardware changes
    Completed

Potential issues that were checked

Windows Update configured to never install drivers
    Issue not present

Issues found

< Hardware changes might not have been detected
    Fixed

Scan for recent hardware changes
    Completed

Scanning might find new devices attached to your computer and install them.

Potential issues that were checked

Windows Update configured to never install drivers
    Issue not present

Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows

Update.

---

That's all. Condition remains the same, cannot query my modem, cannot use my modem.

Budy WN, Oct 12, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Freezes When Optical Drive is Used

Ok, new information regarding the freeze.

Windows Media Player and iTunes are not the culprits. While I was testing various CDs & DVDs with media already burned on, they run without issue. The system scans the media and presents the contents without issue.

What I have discovered is Windows Explorer, while "scanning" blank media, will reach ~98% then freeze the entire system. Explorer takes ~1 minute to scan up to 98%, while looking for data, and when it is unable to find anything, the entire system freezes
    requiring a restart (CDs with data already on them take ~2 secs for scanning to complete). I will also note that if the blank media is left in the drive, the system will fail to boot which is odd as my boot device priority does not have the optical drive
    as primary (I switch it to primary if I'm going to reformat with a DVD).

Anyways, hope this helps.

Point me towards an Explorer based problem.

ThomasPringle, Oct 12, 2015
Thema:

System completely freezes when scanning for new/changed hardware.

1. System completely freezes when scanning for new/changed hardware. - Similar Threads - System completely freezes

2. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  3. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  4. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  5. Scan for hardware changes causes BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scan for hardware changes causes BSOD: Hello out there. This has been raised before and in other similar posts as well. Recently my computer updated the Logitech G Hub as I have a G29 wheel that I sue for iracing. Each time it installed I got the BSOD and thought must be this program but looking further and doping...
  6. System freezes completly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System freezes completly: It begann a few days ago. I closed microsoft edge and everything froze. I couldnt interact with anything including task manager. After restarting my computer today, itwas the same ( i completely turned it off, waited 10 minutes, turned it on again and nothing worked). My...
  7. Wifi driver is not reinstalled when did Scan for hardware changes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wifi driver is not reinstalled when did Scan for hardware changes: Hello, I had a problem with my wifi a morning: I couldn't select see any Wifi in Network, so I did some research on my phone, and I realized my wifi driver disappeared. I tried everything, including Scan for hardware changes, and then reset completely my pc, but it still...
  8. Freezing Windows 10 during hardware scan

Freezing Windows 10 during hardware scan: When ever I go to the control panel/ hardware and sound/ device manager and select "scan for hardware changes" my entire system freezes. Due to this fact it has also prevented me from installing my R9 390X because when its drivers from AMD go to check my installed hardware it...
  9. Device Manager > Scan for hardware changes?

Device Manager > Scan for hardware changes?: Since the first time I saw it in Windows (can't remember which version), long ago, I never had anything I could see as a result of clicking on the "Scan for hardware changes" option in the Device Manager. What does it do exactly and is there any kind of file it generates?...
  10. System hangs when scanning for new/changed hardware.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System hangs when scanning for new/changed hardware.: Hi, My PC completely freezes when detecting hardware changes (device manager) after about 3-4 seconds. I've left it for 1h+ to see if anything happens over time, nothing. Tried it in safe mode, same problem. Removed geforce drivers, same problem When frozen, all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc freezes when looking for changed hardware

2. windows freezes when detecting hardware