Windows 10: System cosuming too much CPU even at idle.

Discus and support System cosuming too much CPU even at idle. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For one reason or another, I recently needed to reset my Windows 10 PC, I performed multiple installations, due to quirks such as the failure to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Wh0_Am_1, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Wh0_Am_1 Win User

System cosuming too much CPU even at idle.

For one reason or another, I recently needed to reset my Windows 10 PC, I performed multiple installations, due to quirks such as the failure to recognize the HDD, CUDA errors in programs (after the appropriate Nvidia drivers were installed), and etc. I chalked them up to corrupted installations, after ironing those out, I reinstalled many of my programs and started to use my pc normally, until I booted up Fortnite for one of my family members, only to discover, that the performance was much lower than normal, I closed the game and discovered that at idle system, wsappx, service host: diagnostic service, and service host: diagnostic host were consuming 60% to 80% of my CPU which is an Intel core i5 2500, an older CPU, but even still, those 3 services before the reset only consumed less than 10% of my CPU, I left this computer alone for a while, just incase it was just some random thing, but even a few days later it was still consuming an absurd amount of CPU, so I made new installation media, just incase it was corrupted, reinstalled, same issue, tried making another installation media on another computer, reinstalled, the issue remained, made another one on an old Windows 7 machine, reinstalled, yet the issue persisted, I tried again with another USB port, and yet the issue still remains. And here I am 16 hours of debugging later with a still underperforming computer hindering my ability to game and perform some everyday tasks. Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

Wh0_Am_1, Dec 10, 2018

2. System Idle Process CPU Allocation?

Hi,

I am Sumit, an Independent advisor and a Microsoft MVP here to help.

System Idle Process, as the name suggests is a process that indicates CPU is idle and is not being used, aka is at rest. This is done to totalize CPU usage to 100 between the processes.

So you do not have to worry about anything.

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 10, 2018
  3. System Idle Process CPU Allocation?

Why when I look in Task Manager does the "System Idle Process" consistently consume the majority of the CPU allocation? Why are the many other running processes not given more CPU cycles?

AlaskanRogue, Dec 10, 2018
  4. jaorg1234 Win User

High CPU usage when idle - System and System interrupts

I've been trying to find a solution for a while and decided to ask here for more help. I've noticed that my CPU usage is pretty high when idle, even after a cold reboot of the computer:

Task Manager View showing "System" and "System interrupts" causing a high CPU load:

System cosuming too much CPU even at idle. vcOPv.png

I've tried to dig deeper and used Processor Explorer to get more information, which, strangely enough, shows that "System interrupts" uses up more % of the CPU than the "System" process:

Process Explorer showing that "Interrupts" is taking up 20% of the CPU load:

System cosuming too much CPU even at idle. PC2cj.png

Next I've tried to narrow down the causes of the interrupts by using the Windows Performance Recorder and analyze the graph using the Windows Performance Analyzer (can't post the screenshot due to not having enough rep, but it looks like hal.dll is causing the most interrupts, but less than the 20% seen with Process Explorer)

Any suggestions how to proceed?

Information about my computer:

• Windows 10
    • Intel Core i5-4790k
    • AMD R390 GPU
    • 8 GB Ram

I've updated the GPU and sound drivers and Windows is up to date.

jaorg1234, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

1. System cosuming too much CPU even at idle. - Similar Threads - System cosuming too

2. Com Surrogate Dllhost.exe using too much system CPU resources

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Com Surrogate Dllhost.exe using too much system CPU resources: Greetings.I'm facing an issue with COM Surrogate using too much system resources, particularly the cpu, about 10-15% and it causes the CPU to boost and the fans in my laptop with it.It is caused by process id:{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}. It could be a fileless...
  3. Com Surrogate Dllhost.exe using too much system CPU resources

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Com Surrogate Dllhost.exe using too much system CPU resources: Greetings.I'm facing an issue with COM Surrogate using too much system resources, particularly the cpu, about 10-15% and it causes the CPU to boost and the fans in my laptop with it.It is caused by process id:{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}. It could be a fileless...
  4. Too much memory usage on idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too much memory usage on idle: On Idle, and no apps in the background, my laptop is using 25 percent approx, memory. I have 12 gigs of RAM out of which 3 GB of my ram is utilized by other windows services, most of all by Anti-Malware Service Executable... when i play games with discord in background, it...
  5. Too much memory usage on idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Too much memory usage on idle: On Idle, and no apps in the background, my laptop is using 25 percent approx, memory. I have 12 gigs of RAM out of which 3 GB of my ram is utilized by other windows services, most of all by Anti-Malware Service Executable... when i play games with discord in background, it...
  6. system and MS defender taking too much ram and cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system and MS defender taking too much ram and cpu: system and defender take too much ram and cpu without any reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-and-ms-defender-taking-too-much-ram-and-cpu/b71c9945-f610-4f28-ba3b-49a1b60c6b8c
  7. system and MS defender taking too much ram and cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system and MS defender taking too much ram and cpu: system and defender take too much ram and cpu without any reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-and-ms-defender-taking-too-much-ram-and-cpu/b71c9945-f610-4f28-ba3b-49a1b60c6b8c
  8. system and MS defender taking too much ram and cpu

9. Too much CPU Usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Too much CPU Usage: Sir/Madam , I am Using Windows 7 SP1 64 bitPentium D, 2GB RAM.Recently i have noticed in task manager, that a process called nscpuminer64 is using much cpu usage,sometimes utilizing entire RAM.Few days ago my thermal paste of processor got dried and CPU didn't started which I...
  10. "System interrupts" in Task Manager is consuming too much of the CPU

"System interrupts" in Task Manager is consuming too much of the CPU: Whenever I check Task Manager, the "System interrupts" process is well above 8% of the CPU, some times even going as high as 16%. I looked into Event Viewer and I got lots of WHEA-17 and Kernel-Processor-Power Warning logs. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I...