Windows 10: System crashes when Media Creation tool starts

Discus and support System crashes when Media Creation tool starts in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I use MediaCreationTool2004.exe on my Lenovo laptop runningWindows 10, version 2004. When I launch it, the systemkeeps crashing and thenrestarting. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Emely Fang, Aug 3, 2020.

1. System crashes when Media Creation tool starts

I use MediaCreationTool2004.exe on my Lenovo laptop runningWindows 10, version 2004. When I launch it, the systemkeeps crashing and thenrestarting. I get an Event ID 41 and Task Category 63.

:)

Emely Fang, Aug 3, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Media Creation Tools Crashes System

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the efforts taken by you in resolving the issue. I understand that the computer crash when running Media Creation Tool. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• Does the issue occur only while running Media Creation Tool?

You may try performing Clean Boot and see if that helps.

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer.
    However, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

To perform a clean boot on the computer refer to the article How to perform a
    clean boot in Windows

If performing a clean boot fixes the issue then, please refer to the section
    How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot
    to check which program is causing the issue.

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

For additional information, see Advanced troubleshooting for Event ID 41:
    "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first"

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Media Creation Tool Crashing

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community. I would be happy to assist you.

From the description of the issue, I understand that the Media Creation tool is unable to create the media onto the USB Storage.

Please let us know the version of Operating System you are using in which you are running the Media Creation Tool. Also let us know if you encounter with any error messages when the application crashes.

As an initial recommendation, I would suggest you to try to place the computer in a Clean Boot state and see if the Media tool still crashes during the operation. Please follow below.

1. To disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called
    Clean Boot.

Follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

Disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may
    also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a
    clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
    may prevent you from following these steps.

2. To disable any 3rd party unwanted startup programs in Windows 8 and above, follow:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20119.how-to-enable-or-disable-startup-programs-in-windows-8.aspx

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Additionally, also remove any other media creation tool if it is installed on the computer.

Important: Please be informed that if you are performing a clean install of Windows 10 with media without upgrading to Windows 10, is not supported and will have activation issues.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, please feel free to write to us and we will be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 3, 2020
  4. System crashes when Media Creation tool starts

Media creation tool

Hi,

We would like to know more about this concern. Kindly answer the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • Is this the first time that you encountered this problem?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • May we know the reason why you want to download Media Creation Tool?

Desiree Yau, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

System crashes when Media Creation tool starts

1. System crashes when Media Creation tool starts - Similar Threads - System crashes Media

2. media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    media creation tool: how do i fix media creation tool it keeps crashing when i open it without any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool/3740294e-2b85-48de-a678-e7f03ee46369
  3. Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool: I'm having an issue with the media creation tool where it won't install or even give me a list of usb drives at all. Even if I tried running it from inside the usb flash drive it still says the same thing "you need 8 gb of available space on Windows :C". I'm having this issue...
  4. Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool: Hi.May I ask if anyone have experienced the same error message in regards to running this Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 and if there's a solution to it? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool/eda5cd87-7be7-4191-899a-59756363cd45
  5. Media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool: I figured out what the tool was, and I didn't like it. You made it sound sooooooo exiting in the license terms, but when I found out what it really was, I was not impressed. Way to go Microsoft. Way to go. You ripped me off of thinking it was something cool, but instead you...
  6. Media creation tool.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool.: Yes, I have successfully downloaded the tool and Windows 10. All I did was click on a link that someone posted and BAM the media creation tool and Windows 10 were downloaded! Thanks! *^^*...
  7. Media Creation Tool Crashes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media Creation Tool Crashes: I am trying to do a fresh install of windows since since my old ssd that has my os has failed me. It takes many attempts to boot into the media tool and finally when I do it will crash before I can finish the set up. I can get into my bios just fine but can’t seem to boot...
  8. Media Creation Tools Crashes System

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Media Creation Tools Crashes System: Whenever I run MediaCreationTool2004.exe on my Windows 10 machine, the system crashes and restarts. I check Event Viewer in the MMC and I get an Event ID 41 and Task Category 63. I am running on the latest update, and tried using compatibility troubleshooter to see if that...
  9. Media creation tool

Media creation tool: So i know i can use this tool to update my pc to latest but will i keep all my settings and preferences? Havent updated my pc in 3 years so figured this is a better way to do it. submitted by /u/AwesomePicMan [link] [comments]...
  10. Media creation tool crash

Media creation tool crash: I’m trying to download the Media Creation Tool for windows 10 onto a USB drive so i can set my brand new pc up with Windows as it’s OS, but it keeps crashing. It prepares everything, then starts downloading (the first 100%) and then starts downloading again but then freezes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc crashes with windows 10 media creation tool