Windows 10: System default font changed after Window10 update - KB4556799

Discus and support System default font changed after Window10 update - KB4556799 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Today I received a Windows 10 update in my Dell laptop so I continued with the update and installed the update and had o restart the Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Vinay Pawar, May 16, 2020.

1. System default font changed after Window10 update - KB4556799

Hello,

Today I received a Windows 10 update in my Dell laptop so I continued with the update and installed the update and had o restart the Windows once the update was completed and it prompted me to restart with "Restart Now" button on the update page so I restarted the Windows.

But after the Windows restarted, I was shocked to see that the update has changed my system's default font to some weird font that is very difficult to read as well as the font size is quite big too. Now I am not able to read or do anything on my laptop due to this font as I cant read whats there on the screen. I am horribly shocked that Microsoft has provided such a horrible update. This has happened earlier a month ago as well I don't remember the update identifier number from last time but this time it is KB4556799 and I have had to uninstall the latest update to get back to better, readable and usable Windows system and this time again I am having to do the same by uninstalling the latest update.

I tried everything to change the system default font by going into font settings in Control Panel but the option there doesn't do any action and its become quite useless option.

I am thoroughly disappointed with Microsoft providing such faulty update and whats more disappointing is that when read the details of the Microsoft support page for this update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4556799/windows-10-update-kb4556799 it says Microsoft is not currently aware of any issues with this update in Known Issues section.

I would request Microsoft to correct the particular update having identifier KB4556799 and also make sure future updates dont have such horrible flaws. There is no option to attach a screenshot here in this forum while raising this question otherwise I would have attached a screenshot of my system screen showing weird font being selected as system font after system update.

Feel free to mail or call me on my mobile +91-9820101596 anytime should you need any further information.

Many Thanks,

Vinay B Pawar

:)

Vinay Pawar, May 16, 2020

2. how change my system font

Hi Satyam,

The default font on Windows 10 is called Segoe UI. Just to clarify, are you trying to change the default font or are you trying to revert to the default font? If you wish to change the default Windows 10 system font, you will need to modify
    the registry. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow the steps carefully.

If you want to revert to the default font, then I suggest that you restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a
    restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + R and type Control Panel.
    2. Type Recovery in the search box and select Recovery.
    3. Click on Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions.

Note: If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check, go to the
    Control Panel, search for Recovery, and then select
    Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure
    and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.

Let me know if you wish to change the default font instead so I can walk you through the process.

Regards.

Aileen Alf, May 16, 2020
  3. How to change font size in Windows 10 and set them to default?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As your concern is about changing the font size, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Are you referring to font size in Windows operating system/ with in the Windows Live Mail?
    • Have you installed any fonts on your device?

If you are referring to font size in Windows operating system, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Steps to restore the default font settings.

• Press Windows key, type font and select
      Change Font Settings
    • Click on Restore default font settings.
    • Sign-out from the current user account and re-sign in and check if it helps.

Step 2: Change the font settings

• Press Windows key, type font and select View fonts installed.
    • Click on Change font size in the left pane.
    • Under Change the text only, click on the drop down arrow choose the appropriate option and change the size you wish to and click on
      Apply.

If you are referring to Windows Live Mail, I would like to inform that it is by design you cannot change the font settings to default on Windows Live Mail. Instead, you can choose appropriate font size and fonts while typing the mail.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, May 16, 2020
  4. System default font changed after Window10 update - KB4556799

Bolded Font on Internet Browsers

Hi,

This issue may have been caused by a Windows 10 update that changed your font settings automatically. If you recently updated your operating system, we suggest that you follow these steps to see if the font will go back to normal:

• Type font in the search bar.
    • Select Change Font settings.
    • Click Restore default font settings.

Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

Dennis Mop, May 16, 2020
Thema:

System default font changed after Window10 update - KB4556799

1. System default font changed after Window10 update - KB4556799 - Similar Threads - System default font

2. Grey fonts window10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Grey fonts window10: I would like to know who the morons at Microsoft are who put this awful grey font as default on WINDOWS 10.You bunch of idiots, why don't you fix this after you have millions of complaints?I've always despised the Microsoft geeks, but this is too much.FIX IT NOW!!...
  3. Grey fonts window10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Grey fonts window10: I would like to know who the morons at Microsoft are who put this awful grey font as default on WINDOWS 10.You bunch of idiots, why don't you fix this after you have millions of complaints?I've always despised the Microsoft geeks, but this is too much.FIX IT NOW!!...
  4. Changing default font

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default font: Hello: Just want to understand why Windows 10 lacks a basic, simple function to select a different default system font. I see recommendations from Microsoft to use third party procedures and use regedit? Is this really the Microsoft recommended way? After performing a...
  5. System Font changed after Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Font changed after Update: After doing a system update last night I come back to find my computer like this. It seems the default font has changed? I have no idea how I would change it back, and navigating the settings is impossible due to the current font. [IMG]...
  6. Updates KB4556799 and KB4552931 - system instability

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Updates KB4556799 and KB4552931 - system instability: Since installing the above two updates on 21st May 2020 my system has been completely unstable. It loses, at approx one minute intervals all 4 external USB HDD. When this happens it then searches, very slowly, for the missing drives, reinstates them, and then starts the whole...
  7. Change default fonts

Change default fonts: Windows 10 Pro 1903 I want to change all my default fonts to Segoe Bold, size 11 I can most of it with Winaero Tweaker, but not the system font. The font substitute category of the registry doesn't have Segoe. I found a site that explained how to to add Segoe to the font...
  8. Change of default fonts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Change of default fonts: Does anyone know how to fix this font issue? Did a registry edit, tried restoring to default and no luck. Please help. [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-of-default-fonts/1b611ef6-f34b-4971-acb6-603be0572999
  9. Changing default font

Changing default font: It seems the default font on this WIndows is Arial and it's really ugly, especially when reading an entire page in Chrome or in any other browser. Tried to change the font in all browsers- no result. It can change only the size- Arial still there. It bugs me that it's...
  10. Change Default System Font in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default System Font in Windows 10: How to: Change Default System Font in Windows 10 How to Change the Default System Font in Windows 10 Windows 10 uses the Segoe UI font as the default system font. This font is used for icons, menus, title bar text, File Explorer, and more. If you would like to use a...
Tags: