Windows 10: System drive space doubled in size within the past month.

Discus and support System drive space doubled in size within the past month. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am using a 128GB SSD as a dedicated windows boot drive. Data is stored on other drives. The current size of my Windows 10 installation is 42Gb.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ineuw, Feb 20, 2021.

1. ineuw Win User

System drive space doubled in size within the past month.

I am using a 128GB SSD as a dedicated windows boot drive. Data is stored on other drives. The current size of my Windows 10 installation is 42Gb. Before removing hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, temp files, and System Volume Information files, (including System Restore files), the size was 51Gb.

Prior to this month, the same installation and previous v2004 installations of the past year, were always between 22Gb and 25Gb.

Scans with Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and ESET online scan, were clean.

The installed apps were always the same. What could cause such a recent bloat?

:)

ineuw, Feb 20, 2021

2. Extend C drive Size

Your Image does not show a D partition. It does show an F partition which if reduced in size would enable you to increase the size of the C partition.

These are the steps needed to enable you to increase the size of your C partition:

• Reduce F by 20 gb placing the unallocated space before F.

• Increase the Recovery partition by 20 gb taking up unallocated space created by Step 1.

• Reduce the Recovery partition by 20 gb placing the unallocated space before the Recovery partition.

• Increase the C partition by 20 gb to take in the unallocated space before the Recovery partition.

You can use Easeus Partition Manager (freeware) to carry out these tasks. The files in each partition are automatically moved when you carry out each step detailed above.

Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS® Partition Master Free

How to extend system partition when there is no unallocated space next to it?

Detailed solutions to manage disk space and partition size with EaseUS Partition Master

Gerry C J Cornell, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Anwille Win User
    extend c drive storage space

Hi, I'm , an Independent Advisor.

Disk Management is a Windows built-in tool that supports to increase partition size with its "Extend Volume" feature. However, the program has some limitations in increasing disk space:

- Extend Volume only works on NTFS and RAW partition. FAT32 and other file systems are not supported.

- The Extend Volume will grey out if there is no adjacent unallocated space behind the target partition.

So, the ways to increasing C drive with or without adjacent unallocated space are different. Open the Disk Management, and follow the right tutorials listed below to extend the local disk C drive on your own now:

#1. Increase C Drive Space with Adjacent Unallocated Space

Step 1. Right-click This PC/My Computer, click "Manage", select "Disk Management" under Storage.

Step 2. Locate and right-click on the local disk C drive, and choose "Extend Volume".

Step 3. Set and add more space to your system C drive and click "Next" to continue.

Step 4. Click "Finish" to complete the process.

Note that if that unallocated space on your system disk is not behind the C drive, you can't extend C drive in Disk Management.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help you further!

Anwille, Feb 20, 2021
  4. System drive space doubled in size within the past month.

files using double space when moved to different partition

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I can exclude the method 1, because I tried on different systems with different antivirus software (or none at all) and there is the same problem.

I tried both steps of method 2 and nothing.

I tried to use my partition with Windows 8.1 on it and it doesn't show the problem.

It's strange because when I move a file (easier to notice with big ones), the system initially allocate the space according to the size of the file and, while moving it, keep using the space until completed. So, at the end, in this way a file occupies double
    of its real size. And the extra space is given back after a restart (or unplug and replug an external drive).

Thank you again.

Naz

NazarenoFazio, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

System drive space doubled in size within the past month.

1. System drive space doubled in size within the past month. - Similar Threads - System drive space

2. CTRL + V is Double Pasting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CTRL + V is Double Pasting: windows 11 desktop computerlogitech 350 keyboard new batteries placedfor no apparent reason the ctrl+v has started to paste everthing twice. It only does this with my keyboard as my mouse works fine.for example I use ctrl+shif+s to copy a portion of a webpage and paste it in...
  3. Copying and Pasting within a Network Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying and Pasting within a Network Drive: I have a computer in the office that is connected to the Network Drive that rest of the office works off. When I use this computer, If I copy and paste a folder within the network drive it doesn't create 'Folder - Copy' it instead pastes all the elements of 'Folder' back into...
  4. Copying and Pasting within a Network Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying and Pasting within a Network Drive: I have a computer in the office that is connected to the Network Drive that rest of the office works off. When I use this computer, If I copy and paste a folder within the network drive it doesn't create 'Folder - Copy' it instead pastes all the elements of 'Folder' back into...
  5. Copying and Pasting within a Network Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. copy and paste doubles

in Windows 10 Support
    copy and paste doubles: when ever i do a copy and paste i am getting 2 copies of what ever i am pasting. any ideas on how to fix that? version 10.0.19043 181842
  7. System drive space doubled in size within the past month.

in Windows 10 Support
    System drive space doubled in size within the past month.: I am using a 128GB SSD as a dedicated windows boot drive. Data is stored on other drives. The current size of my Windows 10 installation is 42Gb. Before removing hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, temp files, and System Volume Information files, (including System Restore files), the...
  8. Combining Similar Hard Drives to Double the Size. Is it ok?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Combining Similar Hard Drives to Double the Size. Is it ok?: Hi, Everyone!I've got a quick question. I read that when you combine two drives in RAID 0 in order to double the size of the drive, the drives have to be "exactly" the same. I wanted to know what "exactly" was defined exactly. (Nice pun, no?) Anyway, I couldn't find an exact...
  9. Double files on One Drive and now no space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Double files on One Drive and now no space.: I recently was working with One Drive and could only see my connected Business One Drive account and not my Personal One Drive account in the File Explorer. This I could only access via browser. I then added the Personal One Drive so that I could see it in the File Explorer...
  10. Hard drive used space more than doubled...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive used space more than doubled...: Can't figure this out. Have a Tablet 2 in 1 with W10 and 32GB SSD. Have not installed any programs. A few days ago the size of the used space on he drive was 7.8 now, it is 16.6GB. Any clues? 63598