Windows 10: System Environment variables

Discus and support System Environment variables in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello! I have been trying to run executable programs using command prompt since a long time, added the path names to the System and user environment... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EktaGhuse, Mar 15, 2020.

1. EktaGhuse Win User

System Environment variables

Hello!

I have been trying to run executable programs using command prompt since a long time, added the path names to the System and user environment variables as well. But it is not helping, the command prompt is unable to run any file except the inbuilds such as notepad.

I want to run my programs, set working directories for using programs like java eclipse all through the command prompt.

The system variables are not getting executed , Also want to run linux commands on cmd but same issue please help

Thank you

:)

EktaGhuse, Mar 15, 2020
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

System environment variable won't stick

Running Win10 Home on an Acer Spin 3, 64bit, i7cpu. I try to add a path to the system environment variables by:

1. Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Environment variables

2. The "Environment Variables" window opens.
    3. In the "System Variables" pane I select "Path" and click the EDIT button.
    4. A list of the current system paths is displayed.
    5. I click the NEW button, browse to the path I want to add which is "C:\Python36-32" and click OK. The path "C:\Python36-32" is added to the list of current system paths.
    6. I click OK and am returned to the "Environment Variables" window.
    7. I click the "X" at the top right to close the "Environment Variables" window.

Now if I click the "Environment Variables" button again (end of step-1) and repeat steps 2-4, the new path I added in step-5 is gone. IOW, adding a new path won't stick.

What am I doing wrong?

3. Bree Win User
    System environment variable won't stick

Yes, there's an OK button for each step.

System Environment variables [​IMG]

4. System Environment variables

Searching environment variable in list

I'm using a command that gives me a list of environment variables. When searching in the list, I want to find all environment variables with the word
    EXTERNAL; using the following command all that is occurring is all the environment variables are being listed instead of those environment variables with the word
    EXTERNAL ?

findstr /c "EXTERNAL"

StraightWorld, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

System Environment variables

1. System Environment variables - Similar Threads - System Environment variables

2. Deleting the system variable environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting the system variable environment: I unconsciously deleted all rows and items in the system variable environment setting in windows 11 and right now when I want to go for the Clean install of Windows 11 using installation media and click on the media creation tool in my flash memory, I face this error: "the...
  3. Deleting the system variable environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting the system variable environment: I unconsciously deleted all rows and items in the system variable environment setting in windows 11 and right now when I want to go for the Clean install of Windows 11 using installation media and click on the media creation tool in my flash memory, I face this error: "the...
  4. Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin: I was looking at the 'User variables for System Admin' one day and saw my name spelled '*****'. I didn't care for that name and without thinking changed the name. Now all my music, photos & docs are gone. How can I undo that already tried 'System Restore'?...
  5. Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin

Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin: I was looking at the 'User variables for System Admin' one day and saw my name spelled '*****'. I didn't care for that name and without thinking changed the name. Now all my music, photos & docs are gone. How can I undo that already tried 'System Restore'?...
  6. Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. environment variables

environment variables: Cant get the modal window when editing my system variables from the environment variables areai get this windowand i want this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/07d24fc8-345d-4062-8169-3fa9bb16a049
  8. environment variables

in Windows 10 Customization
    environment variables: Hi, another question from a noob. I see in my PC environment variables at the bottom of the list a sole entry called ZES_ENABLE SYSMAN 1 .I am a sole PC home windows 10 user who only really games a lot. Should this be here, i can only find entries for this in the...
  9. environment variable

in Windows 10 Customization
    environment variable: What would happen when we deleted all the environment variable system directory. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variable/723a4cb6-5baf-4907-a56b-614f35d77da5
  10. Environment Variables

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Environment Variables: what will happen if i accidentally delete one of those environment variables without realizing it ? and how to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/fedbdf36-ce8e-4861-a775-1dc62dd1c67e