Windows 10: System essential folders keep reverting to read-only. Trying to run most programs end in a...

Discus and support System essential folders keep reverting to read-only. Trying to run most programs end in a... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, this has just happened to me after the last Windows 10 update. I can't use most of the stuff on my PC, as almost every program I run tells me the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jacekarino, Sep 14, 2020.

1. System essential folders keep reverting to read-only. Trying to run most programs end in a...

Hi, this has just happened to me after the last Windows 10 update.

I can't use most of the stuff on my PC, as almost every program I run tells me the same problem with corrupted DDL files in System32. I tried to replace them with the newest ones from dll-files.com and it didn't help.

Also it seems like my C drive with all my system stuff is read-only and I can't do anything to change the attributes.

Please help me, i really need a working PC right now and I can't do a factory reset!

:)

Jacekarino, Sep 14, 2020
  2. sjackson Win User

Folder Reverting to Read Only

I have two drives. My C drive and my D drive. I use my D drive as an external hard drive, but it's internal. My C drive is an SSD and my D drive is an HDD. My SSD is too small, so everything large goes on the HDD. Every folder in my HDD is read-only. I right click the folder and go into properties and take it off read-only and apply the changes, when I go back into properties the folder in question is back on read-only. I have googled this problem multiple times. So all of the basic things that I can try, have been tried. I'll list them below.

Both CMD with Admin Privileges
    attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

Example Images: Not my system, the images are examples but I did the aforementioned and still no result.

System essential folders keep reverting to read-only. Trying to run most programs end in a... [​IMG]

System essential folders keep reverting to read-only. Trying to run most programs end in a... [​IMG]

CMD with Full Admin Privileges

attrib -r "full path of folder\*" /s /d

Powershell: With full Admin Privileges

Get-ChildItem -Path "full path of file with extension" -Recurse -File | % { $_.IsReadOnly=$False }

If there is anything else that I can try to get these folders off Read-Only. Please give me a detailed set of instructions that even a layman like myself can understand. Thanks in advance!

sjackson, Sep 14, 2020
  3. Open a running program

Hi,

Which program are you referring to?

If Windows states that the program but can't see it, then I would suggest you check in the task manager if the program is running in the background. Right click on the start menu and select "Task manager" and check if the process is listed in the processes
    that are running currently. If yes, right click on the program and click on "End task" to end the process completely. Now restart the PC and try launching the program. If the issue persists, get back to us with the name of the application that you are trying
    to use so that we can check suggest accordingly.

Bennet Martin, Sep 14, 2020
  4. RedFox202 Win User

System essential folders keep reverting to read-only. Trying to run most programs end in a...

Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only

So I am trying to install auto desk inverter and for a long time it was given me a 1909 installation code. Apparently the fix for that was just making the folder (C:\ProgramData\Autodesk) not be READ ONLY. So went to the folder right clicked>Properties>
    and unclicked the read only square. I then tried to install auto desk again but the 1909 error happened again. I then just made the folder available to Everyone with full control. So I checked and it was read only again. I thought what the heck, repeated the
    process above again and it would always be Read Only. I then googles the problem and try the following options.

I found this link

All folders are marked read only.

and followed its direction to

Go to This PC

right click on C:\ OS drive

select properties

security tab

advanced

at top select change ownership

advanced

find now

select administrator(S)

OK

check box on top "replace owner on subcontainers and objects

click on APPLY on bottom and OK

close out

restart PC

go back to security tab>advanced and make sure the ADMINISTRATORS in the list have FULL CONTROL

And the folder problem then persisted I did learn that this problem often happens from windows updates

So I looked some more and found this

How to Fix Folder Keeps Reverting to Read Only on Windows 10

followed its advice (the stuff that I did not try already) and did as follows

Follow these steps:

Press the Windows + X keys and select Symbol of the System (Administrator) or Windows PowerShell (Administrator), in the window that will open, you must type the commands in their respective order:

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

• sfc /scannow

Each of these actions may take a few minutes, so it is important to execute one at a time. At the end, you must restart the PC.

The CMD was relatively simple but it still did not fix the problem and it was always read only

I then though if it window I'll just reinstall my OS with the media creation tool. Went through that long process and still had the problem

This whole process has made me so god damn annoyed a problem cause by microsoft updates (a million dollar company), With posts from the company that claim to fix the problem BUT DON'T, and even when I reinstall the whole F*** Operating system it still does
    not work. Forgive me for being so angry but Ive spent the last 6 hour working on this s*** and I'm very dissaponted with nothing to show for it.

Oh and my question (if its needed) is how to make this folder not always Read Only

RedFox202, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

System essential folders keep reverting to read-only. Trying to run most programs end in a...

1. System essential folders keep reverting to read-only. Trying to run most programs end in a... - Similar Threads - System essential folders

2. Folder reverts to Read Only despite trying EVERYTHING

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder reverts to Read Only despite trying EVERYTHING: Folder on Windows10 keeps going back to Read Only mode despite trying everything out there, including this similar issue:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-reverts-to-read-only-tried-many-fixes/54e875d8-ed14-4912-9e3a-48a6fa679e67Have tried...
  3. Folder reverts to Read Only Tried MANY Fixes...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder reverts to Read Only Tried MANY Fixes...: Hello,On one of our Windows 10 systems, a particular folder keeps reverting to Read Only...I have read carefully, and tried, the many suggestions I have found. All have failed.Might there be a "This always works for me" approach out there? This is driving me nuts.Sincere...
  4. Folder attributes keep reverting to read only

Folder attributes keep reverting to read only: The title says it all - I installed an old game, and when I tried to save a game, I found that I couldn't. I checked the folder settings, and they said read only. I tried to uncheck it, but it keeps reverting. The option to only make the change to the folder itself is...
  5. My folders keep reverting to read only

My folders keep reverting to read only: Every time i uncheck read only it just goes back to read only after a few mins this means i cant play any games on steam as it keeps telling me the folder is read only please help...
  6. Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only

Program Data Folder always revert to Read Only: So I am trying to install auto desk inverter and for a long time it was given me a 1909 installation code. Apparently the fix for that was just making the folder C:\ProgramData\Autodesk not be READ ONLY. So went to the folder right clicked>Properties> and unclicked the read...
  7. Folders keep reverting to read-only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folders keep reverting to read-only: Hi all, Not sure if this is the place to get help, but couldn't think where else to go. As the title says, every time I change a folder's settings to read-write, it reverts to read-only. My account is an admin account and I've changed all my disks to read write with the...
  8. "Read-only" keeps reverting

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Read-only" keeps reverting: Let me start by saying that I have visited countless posts and read many articles on the topic. I have tried almost everything that I came across. its pointless to say, but hitting "apply" instead of "ok" didn't help I changed my account to administrator, used cmd attrib -r...
  9. Folder Reverting to Read Only

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Reverting to Read Only: I have two drives. My C drive and my D drive. I use my D drive as an external hard drive, but it's internal. My C drive is an SSD and my D drive is an HDD. My SSD is too small, so everything large goes on the HDD. Every folder in my HDD is read-only. I right click the folder...
  10. Music folder keeps reverting to Read-only

Music folder keeps reverting to Read-only: My Music folder and the files within keep reverting to Read-only. I'm the owner (and administrator) of the file so that shouldn't be the issue. When I uncheck Read-only and Apply it nearly finishes but then gives me the message: Error Applying Attributes An error...