Windows 10: System Event Notification errors with domain logins

Discus and support System Event Notification errors with domain logins in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey guys, This error started happening only on computers with 1511 installed. The original RTM of Windows 10 doesn't do this, nor do Windows 7, 8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by drfsupercenter, Jan 7, 2016.

1. System Event Notification errors with domain logins

Hey guys,

This error started happening only on computers with 1511 installed. The original RTM of Windows 10 doesn't do this, nor do Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. I tried some Google searches but all I see are relevant to 7 or 8, not Windows 10. It must have been something changed between RTM and 1511 that did it, too.

Anyway,

This only happens once, but let me explain.

When I refurbish computers for our employees, I wipe the hard drive completely (either diskpart "clean" via the recovery shell, or using DBAN to wipe the partition table if I can't get into WinRE.

I then boot it up using network boot. We have a Windows Deployment Services server set up so we can install Windows using PXE. I put the Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1511 .wim in there and it installs fine.

After install I make a local account, make sure the drivers get installed automatically (so far, it's been auto-magic for all our hardware, even NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards), install antivirus + MS Office and whatever special software that employee would need, and then I name the machine and put it on the domain.

To prevent extra crap from being created in C:/Users (and in the registry) I don't log in with a domain account. I let the employees do that themselves.

The first time any domain account* tries to log in, it errors after about 20 seconds with
    Code: Windows couldn't connect to the System Event Notification Service service. Please consult your system administrator.[/quote] If they put their password in again, it goes through and all the initial settings are applied from our Group Policy Objects.

*I noticed that if I log in as an account which is a Domain Administrator (and via our GPOs, is also added to the Administrators group on the machine), I don't get that error. It only shows up for "normal" users which are not part of admins.

Nothing critical by any means as it will always work on the second try, but I'm really curious why it happens at all. What service is it even trying to connect to? The fact it happens on literally every computer (it even happens in VMWare images which I've done to test GPO settings) would imply it's not a problem with a particular machine, rather something in our domain. Or it's possible there's a GPO that was set years ago for Windows 7 that didn't cause any detrimental effects until now.

I'd be happy to provide diagnostic/debug stuff, just tell me what you need and I'll try it in one of my VMs!

:)

drfsupercenter, Jan 7, 2016

2. Remote Login and New admin account created on my machine - hacked?

OK so a user named Lorenco was logged into my machine today when I went to login.

This user account should not exist and was connected remotely I believe

I captured all the event logs, what do I need to verify this was a hack or a legit login?

Received user logon notification on session 4.

shell\roaming\settingsync\settingprofilehandler.cpp(24)\SettingSync errors

event log cleared the user

The audit log was cleared.

Subject:

Security ID: GROD\Lorenco

Account Name: Lorenco

Domain Name: GROD

Logon ID: 0x46D9E82

A user's local group membership was enumerated.

Subject:

Account Domain: GROD

Logon ID: 0x46D9EA0

User:

Account Domain: GROD

Process Information:

Process ID: 0x2618

Process Name: C:\Users\Lorenco\Desktop\GoogleChromePortable\App\Chrome-bin\chrome.exe

Much more in the logs..

PeterFragon, Jan 7, 2016
  3. QuickBooks stopped working with Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.187)

Since the feature updates to Windows 10 Pro, Domain resident system, QuickBooks 2010 will not complete the login process and posts a Program has stopped working error or crashes.

Attempted to open as administrator with same results.

Windows Event log errors:

Event ID 4 Error - Returning NULL QBWinInstance Handle

Event ID 1000 Application Error - Exception code: 0xc000041d

Obviously if I rollback to an earlier build, problem solved, that doesn't resolve why it's happening.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

LMB - Lario

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.*** 

LMB - Lario Belcastro, Jan 7, 2016
  4. System Event Notification errors with domain logins

Hi,

we are experiencing the same issue. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Thanks!

artweather, Jan 26, 2016
  5. just a thought... are you disabling UAC in your environment?

artweather, Jan 26, 2016
  6. ayian Win User
    Hmm, having the same issue on our domain joined computers. Trouble is we are a school with limited class time and the user isn't necessarily logging into the same computer everytime. Multiply this by a class of 30 and it's alot of wasted time.

We have tried a few different things, nothing resulting in a fix.

ayian, Feb 16, 2016
  7. We are using monitoring software called ABTutor.... we are wondering if that has something to do with it... but cant definitively point the finger at that yet...

artweather, Feb 16, 2016
  8. System Event Notification errors with domain logins

We don't have any software like that - literally it's a "vanilla" installation from the install disc, I just name the machine and join it to the domain. Nothing else.

drfsupercenter, Feb 16, 2016
  9. wonder if there is any fixes in the updates?

artweather, Feb 16, 2016
  10. It's possible. I haven't seen the message recently, so I wonder what it was (if it's really fixed for good)

drfsupercenter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Event Notification errors with domain logins

1. System Event Notification errors with domain logins - Similar Threads - System Event Notification

2. Restrict Laptop to Domain Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restrict Laptop to Domain Login: Hi all, I wish to link an account to only allow domain login for a laptop for my workplace, ie prevent them from logging in with any Microsoft account and force them to use their domain account. I have tried following the instructions here, Join a Computer to a Domain, but I...
  3. System Event Notification Service

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Event Notification Service: I'm getting this message when I boot up my computer: Failed to connect to a Windows service Windows couldn't connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents standard users from signing in. Is there an easy way to fix this? Everything I...
  4. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service.: So i was installing a software, then the installer was stuck at "finishing" so I restarted the laptop, then I tried to log in but it kept going to "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service". I searched for other solutions but all of them had...
  5. Event 51 followed by Event 157 system errors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Event 51 followed by Event 157 system errors: For the past couple of weeks i have been receiving pages and pages of system 51 errors: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR2 during a paging operation. This is then followed by a system 157 error: "Disk 1 has been surprise removed" which results in the hard...
  6. After login in Domain system taking too much time

After login in Domain system taking too much time: Hi, 150 system(Windows 10, Windows 7) connected in LAN through different VLAN. Setup to AD Server(Windows 2016) created Primary Domain and Additional domain. Also, DNS role included in itself. System configuration Min: Core I3 and 4 GB RAM. The below issue received....
  7. Need to login twice on domain bounded Windows 10 system

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Need to login twice on domain bounded Windows 10 system: We are running Windows 10 Enterprise 1809, bounded to Active Directory, and have been having an issue where some users are required to login twice when they first turn their computers on. This does not happen to all users. The user will boot the computer up and enter their...
  8. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service

in Windows 10 News
    Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The process of logging in to a computer running Windows is not so simple. Windows OS has built a mechanism in such a manner that malware or third-party intervention would not compromise access to the system. This mechanism is supported [...] This post...
  9. Event Log entries for Software Center system restart notifications

Event Log entries for Software Center system restart notifications: I have a difficult user who, for the last four months, has opened an incident with our internal IT help desk, claiming that he has not received the SCCM pop-up notification, warning him that his computer is going to restart in 2 hours. I would like to find an event in the...
  10. Unable to Login to Domain

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to Login to Domain: Have Lenovo with Win 10 Home installed. Run upgrade to 10 Pro. Joined to domain. Assigned 2-3 domain users to be able to login to this machine. Failed to login with any domain users, says" The user name or password is incorrect. Try again". Tried to use static IP,...