Windows 10: System failing to boot - need a way to change the driver for my system drive

Discus and support System failing to boot - need a way to change the driver for my system drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A little background: I have a homebuilt system based on AMD Ryzen Threadripper and an AMB B450 motherboard. The motherboard has 3 M.2 NVMe sockets.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Doug_x64, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Doug_x64 Win User

System failing to boot - need a way to change the driver for my system drive

A little background:

I have a homebuilt system based on AMD Ryzen Threadripper and an AMB B450 motherboard. The motherboard has 3 M.2 NVMe sockets. The BIOS is capable of doing software RAID on the NVMe devices. I installed this machine over a RAID0 array of 2 x 2TB Samsung EVO 970 NVMe devices. This worked great for a long time, but started to issue CRC errors on specific sectors. The error only showed up when I was trying to do a backup, normal day to day operations were fine. Because the errors didn't impact day to day use, I ignored it for a long time. At this point, any backups are truly out of date. I tried for a week, with help from my backup software vendor, to try and get a complete backup, but it kept dying on the CRC errors.

So, I got a new 2TB NVMe device and tried to clone from the RAID array to the single 2TB device I had sufficient free space to shrink the filesystem down and fit it on the single 2TB drive. When I tried to clone from the running system, it would hit the same CRC errors note: I was able to get sector numbers during the cloning process, then look up what file contained the sector, then check the file, and I never found a problem in any of the files, but it was still giving CRC errors. I managed to finally boot into a rescue image build by my backup software tool Acronis True Image, and when I got booted into it, then did the clone, it cloned with *no* CRC errors.

And just to be clear, I'm cloning from the software RAID device to a bare NVMe device with the intent of doing away with the software RAID stack entirely as it is clearly flaky.

There are two problems that limit my options here:

1 Linux has no support for the AMD NVMe software RAID, so many of the repair DVD/USB images you can get won't work on the RAID device at all as they run proprietary software on top of a linux boot image. That limits my options for what I can boot into to attempt to access the original raid device anyway.

2 When you enable NVMe software RAID on the motherboard, it *doesn't* change the PCI ID of the NVMe controller to something other than the PCI ID for a standard NVMe controller device. As a result, the same PCI ID can be attached to either the rcbottom/rcraid/rcconfig stack that makes up the AMD software RAID driver or it can be attached to the stornvme driver from Microsoft.

When I did the clone, the AMD RAID driver was handling the system volume. That means the cloned drive has the same setting. And under normal conditions, when I attempted to boot the cloned drive, it would do the "Adjusting hardware settings" message thing and fix up the drivers and the new cloned system would boot up and run fine. Except for problem #2 above completely stops that from happening. As far as Windows is concerned, no major changes have taken place on the computer. The motherboard/CPU are identical. The NVMe devices might have changed their bus addresses, but their still the same PCI IDs. So I can't boot the cloned drive.

Then I ran into a second problem. I attempted to go into the old copy of the system, go into Device Manager, and change the underlying driver for the bare drive, then I was going to reclone the system. But, I messed up the mapping of which devices were part of the RAID array and accidentally switched one of them to the NVMe driver, and so now the new system and old system both won't boot.

The symptoms from both are the same:

If I enable NVMe RAID in the BIOS, the system finds the RAID system and tries to boot it, does a hard reset, repeats, then goes into a recovery boot, fails to automatically fix the system bootup, then resets. This loops goes on forever.

If I disable NVMe RAID, it does the same thing but from the single 2TB device.

If I were under linux, I know what I'd need to do:

Boot up a rescue image, go to the root fs, use lspci to see the NVMe devices, make sure that the proper NVMe devices are attached to the right drivers in the dracut boot image, fix whatever is broken, reboot, done.

What I think needs done under Windows is boot up a rescue image, go into the system volume, detach both the rcbottom and rcraid drivers from the NVMe controllers, attach the stornvme driver to those PCI devices, then boot into a working system.

Any clues how I can make that happen? I am *not* a windows expert, but I can get it booted up to the point of having a repair environment and able to access the 2TB system volume, but have no clue what to do from there.

:)

Doug_x64, Sep 3, 2020

2. how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive

My widows 10 computer crashed and would not boot. I lost my recovery disk and borrowed one from my spouse. Her system booted from a system drive while my system booted from a SSD drive. After recovering my computer, it no longer boots from the SSD drive.
    What is the best way to make the changes so that I'm back to booting from my SSD drive? I recovered all my lost files from a backup drive and the windows on the SSD may not be the same as on the new WindowsC: drive. I know that I can go into the BIOS and
    change the boot drive to the SSD drive, but I'm afraid that there is more to it than that.

JimMorgan7, Sep 3, 2020
  3. r1rhyder Win User
    System Tests run, 2 Failed results

You FAILED to list your hardware/system specs

r1rhyder, Sep 3, 2020
  4. Metroxed Win User

Change default boot drive after cloning system drive

Hello all.

My HP '2 in 1' laptop-tablet came with two internal SDDs, Disk 0 (CSystem failing to boot - need a way to change the driver for my system drive :) which is the system drive and has Windows and its system files and Disk 1 (DSystem failing to boot - need a way to change the driver for my system drive :) which is empty. They're two separate disks, not a partition. The issue is, however, that Disk 0 came only
    with about 29GB of total space, and it became filled up by Windows and its updates. Disk 1 has about 460GB of free space.

I want to move the system drive from Disk 0 to Disk 1, and to do such I've been advised to clone C: to D: (making D: the system drive) and then reformat C:. Thus, Windows and the system files will be on D:, the larger drive.

However, I am concerned with the fact that seemingly I am not able to change which drive the PC boots from when it starts. The BIOS menu has a boot order list, but it does not contain any info about the internal drives, only a "OS boot manager" (which is
    set as primary option) and then external alternatives (CD, USB, etc.). There's no option for changing the default boot drive from C: to D:.

So if I clone C: to D:, but the system keeps booting from C: (or is unable to boot at all if I reformat CSystem failing to boot - need a way to change the driver for my system drive :), the whole operation is useless and I am still stuck with Windows being installed on a smaller drive.

Is there anyway to change the default internal drive the PC boots from?

Metroxed, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

1. System failing to boot - need a way to change the driver for my system drive - Similar Threads - System failing boot

2. I want to change the startup way on my dual boot system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to change the startup way on my dual boot system: I have a dual boot system on my computer. I installed a new Windows 10 system on a new SSD. But now my new Windows installation has Volume E. I want it to start up as volume C. How can I change this? If I remove my old HDD , the computer doesn't find my new Windows 10...
  3. I want to change the startup way on my dual boot system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to change the startup way on my dual boot system: I have a dual boot system on my computer. I installed a new Windows 10 system on a new SSD. But now my new Windows installation has Volume E. I want it to start up as volume C. How can I change this? If I remove my old HDD , the computer doesn't find my new Windows 10...
  4. I want to change the startup way on my dual boot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Secondary drive marked as "System" and I need to change it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary drive marked as "System" and I need to change it.: Hello, my secondary HDD APPS A: it's flagged as system and I want to change it to my SSD WINDOWS C:How can I do this? There is no option in DiskPart to do this......
  6. Secondary drive marked as "System" and I need to change it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secondary drive marked as "System" and I need to change it.: Hello, my secondary HDD APPS A: it's flagged as system and I want to change it to my SSD WINDOWS C:How can I do this? There is no option in DiskPart to do this......
  7. Secondary drive marked as "System" and I need to change it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. New System Fails to BOOT

in Windows 10 Support
    New System Fails to BOOT: Okay I have built many systems but this was supposed to be really good. Its a Gigabyte Aorous Ultra, Core i7 9700K, DDR4 32 Gig, Radeon RX-570 8 Gig, 6 TB HDD and SSD. Turned it on and it starts stop runs for 10 seconds and stops. Just like the 1000 watt power supply is goofy...
  9. I need a guinea pig with a system that needs a boot-critical driver

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need a guinea pig with a system that needs a boot-critical driver: I have a program that I have written that can do just about anything you would ever need to do with a Windows image such as injecting updates, injecting drivers, create customized multi-edition installation disks, and a lot more. After a post from another user here on...
  10. Need to add a sata drive to a duel boot system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need to add a sata drive to a duel boot system: Hi, I have windows 10 and windows 7 on a duel boot configuration.I have three drives designated to windows 10.I'm using windows 7 pro 64 bit for gaming only, But I'm running out of storage space. So I want to add a 500 GB sata drive I have in my desk drawer to windows...