Windows 10: System file too big & file size not adding up

Discus and support System file too big & file size not adding up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Recently I purchased a new PC and did a fresh install of Windows 10 Home on it. As I have 500GB SSD, I split it into two partitions, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kuba7771, Aug 30, 2020.

1. kuba7771 Win User

System file too big & file size not adding up

Hello,

Recently I purchased a new PC and did a fresh install of Windows 10 Home on it. As I have 500GB SSD, I split it into two partitions, I allocated 50GB for Windows and the rest is for file storage/games etc.

The problem is, merely a week after fresh install the system files already occupy nearly 40GB of storageit was roughly 20-25 right after install if I'm not mistaken.

There are 4 folders on the C: partition right now:

Program Files x860.4GB

Program Files1.86GB

Users6.3GB

Windows16.8GB

As you can see, this only adds up to roughly 25GB, while the C: disc usage is "9.43GB free of 48.2GB". So what happened to nearly 15GB of storage?

Additionally, while "Users" folder seems to be 6.3GB, there is nothing actually there. I manually went through all the folders found in "Users" and they take up less than 500MB. So what exactly is using up almost 6GB of space without showing itself?

I really doubt this is malware or anything like that, as I generally know how to take care of my PC, never visit fishy sites or download files from uncertain sources.

:)

kuba7771, Aug 30, 2020
  2. Jetster Win User

Page file size?

Deleting it is fine, but keep in mind if you delete your page file a memory dump has no where to go and will be deleted. Not a big deal but just FYI. Really there is nothing to gain by deleting a page file. Except for the physical space. Windows set your page file the same size as your ram for a reason. So suggesting you should delete it if you have 16+ Gb ram and wont need it is inaccurate. You can also recover Data on a BSOD if you have the dump file

"Microsoft says that, when the page file is set to a system-managed size and the computer is configured for automatic memory dumps, “Windows sets the size of the paging file large enough to ensure that a kernel memory dump can be captured most of the time.” As Microsoft points out, crash dumps are an important consideration when deciding what size the page file should be. The page file must be large enough to contain the memory data."

http://www.howtogeek.com/196672/windows-memory-dumps-what-exactly-are-they-for/

Jetster, Aug 30, 2020
  3. psyko12 Win User
    Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Aug 30, 2020
  4. modder Win User

Firefox, opera, IE all freeze/lockup when downloading a file to any hard drive

"cant open folders with big files" interesting!,possible Paging File problem.
    Method from microsoft --Increase the Size of the Paging File-- sometimes we forget how to do that
    To change the size of the paging file, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Do one of the following: • If Control Panel on your computer is in Classic view, double-click System.
    • If Control Panel on your computer is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

3. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    4. In the Performance pane, click Settings.
    5. In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    6. In the Virtual memory pane, click Change.
    7. Click Custom size, and then in the Initial size (MB) box and the Maximum size (MB) box, type a number that is larger than the number that is currently listed.

modder, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

1. System file too big & file size not adding up - Similar Threads - System file too

2. "windows" file in AppData\Local\Microsoft file size is too big

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "windows" file in AppData\Local\Microsoft file size is too big: i noticed that my "Windows" file was too big 71GB. but when I hit "Properties" inside the directory, it's not even reached 1GB. can anyone explain to me why is it happen or how to reduce its file size? here's the screenshot the forum won't let me upload it...
  3. "windows" file in AppData\Local\Microsoft file size is too big

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "windows" file in AppData\Local\Microsoft file size is too big: i noticed that my "Windows" file was too big 71GB. but when I hit "Properties" inside the directory, it's not even reached 1GB. can anyone explain to me why is it happen or how to reduce its file size? here's the screenshot the forum won't let me upload it...
  4. "windows" file in AppData\Local\Microsoft file size is too big

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "windows" file in AppData\Local\Microsoft file size is too big: i noticed that my "Windows" file was too big 74GB. but when I hit "Properties" inside the directory, it's not even reached 1GB. can anyone explain to me why is it happen or how to reduce its file size? sorry for my bad english, thanks in advance....
  5. Games size too big

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games size too big: So I wanted to download a game and for eg lets take the game "hollow knight" for now. So I searched up its size on steam and it said that its 3.5 gb something and when i went to xbox app the download size is 7gb can someone explain why?...
  6. System files too big

System files too big: Hello, I have a bootcamp partition on my Mac for Windows 10. I allocated approx. 1000 GB for Windows. As of today, the System Files folder is 847 GB, and I can't understand why I have tried searching for the largest files on my system, and for some reason, I can't make...
  7. Text size too big

in Windows 10 Customization
    Text size too big: I have windows 10, and all of a sudden all of the text is way too big. The settings say that the text is normal size but i used to be able to read the entire name of things like the names of icons on the desktop and all the text on the file explorer. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. system file is way too big

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    system file is way too big: i built a new PC 2 days ago and my system file has somehow grown to 92 GB. it is taking up way too much space as my old PC it was only about 20. how can i reduce it? submitted by /u/jaboolean [link] [comments]...
  9. Corrupted files/size far too big

Corrupted files/size far too big: [ATTACH] Help - I copied my images from phone to laptop. Now the folder is showing astronomical sizes, and all files are corrupted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupted-filessize-far-too-big/9a0a7d33-859c-43c3-8150-4c67861c66ae"
  10. Mapped File too big

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mapped File too big: I was trying to figure out why forza horizon 4 was crashing so much and I read that it didn't drop standby memory like other games did and that was causing it. So I went on RAMmap and the "mapped file" is taking up more than 2 gigs of standby RAM, and the total standby RAM is...