Windows 10: System files taking up 85GB of storage space

Discus and support System files taking up 85GB of storage space in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Today I got a system notification on Windows 10 telling me that my C: drive is full, so I checked where most of the used space came from and found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Cainenghis, Feb 18, 2021.

1. System files taking up 85GB of storage space

Today I got a system notification on Windows 10 telling me that my C: drive is full, so I checked where most of the used space came from and found this.

It seems like 85GB out of my 111GB drive are being occupied by system files, here you can see how 77GB are being used by "essential" system files.

So I download and install TreeSize, and even when running it as administrator, it can only manage to tell me where 52GB out of those 111GB are, as you can see in this screenshot.

Afterwards I ran cmd.exe as administrator and performed a disk check (CHKDSK CSystem files taking up 85GB of storage space :), as you can see in the results, it shows that 99+% of my drive is currently being occupied. This amount is the same as the one shown in the first screenshot, and also in the Computer folder, as can be seen here.

Finally I tried running the disk cleanup program, but even after selecting the "Clean up system files" option, less than 50MB can be cleared from the system (screenshot here). I also clicked on the option to delete all restoration points, but it did nothing so I assume there aren't any.

Any ideas?

:)

Cainenghis, Feb 18, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

System Taking Like All of my space ._.

Windows File Explorer is not great at finding out where your hard drive space is being used . . .

• Click HERE to download a small free utility Called TreeSize.
    • Run that utility as Administrator
    • Point it to your C Drive
    • Let the list of files/folders build
    • Expand out the folder(s) that are taking all your hard drive space
    • Please provide a screenshot of the resulting window in order for us to make a better analysis of what is happening with your system and suggest a remedy

DaveM121, Feb 18, 2021
  3. System Files Take up 85GB

Thank you for replying Sumit.

Yes, of course there is an update pending, because there isn't enough space for the update. For it to be done, I have to take out something first. That's how I realize the system file is ridiculously large, and I am not going to put up with it anymore.

Shirakura2, Feb 18, 2021
  4. System files taking up 85GB of storage space

System and Reserved Files are taking too much space. 350GB

Hi,

Here are several methods that you can perform to free up your hard drive space in Windows 10:

Method 1. Delete junk files using Storage sense:

• Open Settings
    • Select System and choose Storage.
    • Under Storage sense, click on the Change how we free up space link.
    • Under Temporary files, check the files that you want to delete including
      Delete temporary files that my apps aren't using, Delete files that have been in the recycle bin for over 30 days, &
      Delete files in the Downloads folder that haven't changed in 30 days.
    • Under Free up space now, you can also select the option to delete the previous installation of Windows 10.
      Note: this option is only available during the first ten days after installing a new feature update.
    After completing these steps, click on the Clean now button to free up the space.

Method 2. Uninstall apps and games you don't use:

• Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
    • Select the app or game and uninstall it.
    • Click the Uninstall button again to confirm
    • Repeat the process if you need to uninstall additional apps or games.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Feb 18, 2021
Thema:

System files taking up 85GB of storage space

1. System files taking up 85GB of storage space - Similar Threads - System files taking

2. deleted files still taking up storage space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleted files still taking up storage space?: all these files have been deleted and should be completely removed from my PC, yet it still shows them taking up space. anything i can do here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-still-taking-up-storage-space/6e2ec4d6-44ba-4e48-ae4c-ab1043cf7b31
  3. deleted files still taking up storage space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    deleted files still taking up storage space?: all these files have been deleted and should be completely removed from my PC, yet it still shows them taking up space. anything i can do here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-still-taking-up-storage-space/6e2ec4d6-44ba-4e48-ae4c-ab1043cf7b31
  4. System is taking up 429GB of space.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System is taking up 429GB of space.: Hello, I have a problem with my space usage. My computer suddenly ran out of storage after an update and the system warns that there is not enough space for working. I haven't installed any apps recently and I kept deleting or moving files to my external hard disk, but the...
  5. System is taking up 429GB of space.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System is taking up 429GB of space.: Hello, I have a problem with my space usage. My computer suddenly ran out of storage after an update and the system warns that there is not enough space for working. I haven't installed any apps recently and I kept deleting or moving files to my external hard disk, but the...
  6. System Files taking up too much space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Files taking up too much space: I've been having storage issues and I checked my system files. Asked a few people and searched it on web and found out that 70GB is too much. I don't know what seems to be the problem since Windows file isn't that huge. How do I fix this?...
  7. System taking up 500gb of space

System taking up 500gb of space: [ATTACH] Pretty simple. Is this normal? If not what can I do to reduce the space. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-taking-up-500gb-of-space/d80b4ffd-631a-41bb-8f21-a773a1a14568
  8. System and Reserved storage taking more space.

in Windows 10 Customization
    System and Reserved storage taking more space.: My system and reserved storage takes 160 GB. The window 10 alone takes 44 GB? The system restore takes around 80GB. Please help me with storage settings. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  9. System files taking up a ton of space?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System files taking up a ton of space?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/katkoon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hohbdl/system_files_taking_up_a_ton_of_space/
  10. 'Other' files taking up storage space

'Other' files taking up storage space: Alright, so I have a Windows 10 laptop with 29.1 gigabytes on the C drive. Now, sometimes when I go to settings, system, storage, and see how much space's taken up by the system files, sometimes it'll say about 17 GB while other times it'll say 19 GB. Because the system files...