Windows 10: System firmware UEFI Admin Password

Discus and support System firmware UEFI Admin Password in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Forgot to mention that I am the only one using my laptop and nobody else. So will it be fine not to set an Admin UEFI password? If you believe that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by windoc, Apr 5, 2018.

1. windoc Win User

System firmware UEFI Admin Password

If you believe that no one has any reason to access your laptop when you are not around it, then, there is no need for one.

windoc, Apr 5, 2018

2. I am thinking about setting an Admin password for the UEFI firmware settings.
    Is this really required?

BitLocker full drive encryption is enabled.

I have Secure Boot enabled, but what if my laptop gets stolen and someone can change the UEFI settings?

.So can I create the UEFI Admin password to be the same as my OS Admin password?
    Would this pose an issue? My passwords are very complex.

Its very surprising to me that in most of security related forums out there, setting a UEFI Admin password is off the radar and not talked about so much...

:)

win10freak, Apr 30, 2018
  3. Restart and sleep issue in ASUS X450LCP Windows 10 Creators Update

Is there a BIOS or UEFI firmware update on the PC or motherboard's Support Downloads webpage? Compare with the present one installed at Start>Windows Admin Tools>System Information.

Type System Protection in Start Search, open System Restore, make sure it's enabled for C drive with plenty of disk space apportioned (10-15% normally).

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 30, 2018
  4. System firmware UEFI Admin Password

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 30, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    Problem is if you set a password and forget it, you are screwed and may have to resort to elaborate physical methods to reset bios.

There is no real need to use a bios password unless you want to prevent users with PHYSICAL access to pc to change anything.

Remote users/hackers cannot modify the bios.

I guess it helps if laptop is stolen but even then most thieves would wipe drives anyway. You should not keep confidential details on a laptop if risk of theft is high where you take it.

cereberus, Apr 30, 2018
  6. Forgot to mention that I am the only one using my laptop and nobody else.

So will it be fine not to set an Admin UEFI password?

win10freak, Apr 30, 2018
  7. There's no real benefit of a UEFI admin password, which just prevents people from modifying your UEFI settings, if you are concerned about physical theft.

Secure Boot protects against attackers from modifying your OS boot files and surreptitiously installing malware or disabling OS protections. It's not even required for BitLocker, which uses a separate mechanism to validate the bootloader.

If someone steals your laptop then BitLocker (preferably with a PIN) is sufficient to protect your data.

PolarNettles, Apr 30, 2018
  8. windoc Win User

Proper assessment of your security requirements is necessary before implementing a security solution. Always remember that there is a trade-off between the security you apply and the ease of use of your system.

windoc, Apr 30, 2018
Thema:

1. System firmware UEFI Admin Password - Similar Threads - System firmware UEFI

2. The UEFI firmware settings missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The UEFI firmware settings missing: The UEFI firmware settings on my window 10 pro missing . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-uefi-firmware-settings-missing/c26c52fa-82d6-4d11-b41b-9e94ad91b866
  3. The UEFI firmware settings missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The UEFI firmware settings missing: The UEFI firmware settings on my window 10 pro missing . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-uefi-firmware-settings-missing/c26c52fa-82d6-4d11-b41b-9e94ad91b866
  4. Is there a way to reset the System Password to access UEFI Firmware Settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to reset the System Password to access UEFI Firmware Settings?: I am on a Legion 5-15IMH05H Lenovo - Type 81Y6 laptop with Windows 11. I installed Valorant because a few of my friends play it and Riot Vanguard tells me that Vanguard requires a secure boot to play. I press the windows key and searched msinfo32 to check my BIOS mode and...
  5. Is there a way to reset the System Password to access UEFI Firmware Settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to reset the System Password to access UEFI Firmware Settings?: I am on a Legion 5-15IMH05H Lenovo - Type 81Y6 laptop with Windows 11. I installed Valorant because a few of my friends play it and Riot Vanguard tells me that Vanguard requires a secure boot to play. I press the windows key and searched msinfo32 to check my BIOS mode and...
  6. System firmware UEFI, Secure Boot capable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System firmware UEFI, Secure Boot capable: HOW I change bios mode legacy to UEFI https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-firmware-uefi-secure-boot-capable/66df8b0f-a1ec-4f13-9a11-418c30280efd
  7. error icon on my firmware uefi system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    error icon on my firmware uefi system: I have problem with my Lenovo v310-14ISK, that problem is there is error icon on my firmware uefi system, I don't have any idea. please help me[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wilmar/ab4e5a45-4814-4817-9367-996577964540
  8. The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware, operating system or UEFI drivers

in Windows 10 News
    The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware, operating system or UEFI drivers: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If your Windows computer is not booting up and displays Secure Boot Violation – The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware, operating system or UEFI drivers error message on the screen, then you can follow this tutorial to troubleshoot [...] This...
  9. UEFI Admin Password needed if BitLocker is enabled?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI Admin Password needed if BitLocker is enabled?: Just a quick question. I have enabled BitLocker with TPM-Only protector and was just wondering if I need to set an Admin BIOS/UEFI password to prevent someone from changing the UEFI settings. I also have Secure Boot enabled as well along with the following BitLocker...
  10. UEFI firmware settings screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI firmware settings screen: I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (32Bit), Since, I have lost access to my DVD drive. The Device Manager shows: [img] The drive has always been connected and worked fine with Windows 7; the hardware has never been altered or messed about with. So I decided...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is uefi admin password the same as windows admin password