Windows 10: System Font Change not applying properly

Discus and support System Font Change not applying properly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two ethernet networked HP laptops running side by side, both of which were upgraded simultaneously to 20H2 with all updates via in-place... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mjw72652, Dec 16, 2020.

1. mjw72652 Win User

System Font Change not applying properly

I have two ethernet networked HP laptops running side by side, both of which were upgraded simultaneously to 20H2 with all updates via in-place installs from an ISO created with the Media Creation Tool, copied to both desktops, then mounted and used to do the upgrade. After that was finished, which was accomplished without any problems, I the used the same registry script on both machines to change my system font. Here is the script, which I merged into the registry on both machines:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
    "Segoe UI (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Light (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Symbol (TrueType)"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]

"Segoe UI"="Comic Sans MS"

I know the script is good, because on one machine my changed font is working properly everywhere (this machine has other problems after the install which I have asked for help on in another post. On the second machine however, the font substitution doesn't work properly (it worked fine before the upgrade). It changes the font on the desktop OK, but does not change the font in File Explorer, the Start Menu, title bars, etc.. Moreover, I am running the Microsoft Newsbar on both machines, and the one with the font substitution problem changes the font back to Segoe UI as soon as I minimize the Newsbar. If I redo the merge, and either restart or shut down and reboot, the font on the desktop (but not in File Explorer) changes back to Comic Sans and if I minimize the Newsbar the problem reoccurs. I have looked at the Registry Key for FontSubstitutes on both, and both appear correct and identical.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happens on one machine only, or suggestions for a fix? This machine doesn't have any of the problems that the other machine suffers from, namely some Gadgets that worked fine before the upgrade won't work now (even though they still work fine on the machine with the font problem) and the notification area collapsing as soon as I attempt to look at a notification- I have set my Show Notifications for to five minutes).

I am probably going to try doing the in-place upgrade again on both machines, unless anyone can suggest a reason why this is not a good idea. I won't do a complete install- I have too many installed apps to make the time involved in re-installation worthwhile (Ninite and Chocolatey are of limited usefulness for me). BTW, I have found that doing updates and in-place upgrades with all USB devices temporarily disconnected solves all installation/upgrade errors that I have encountered.

:)

mjw72652, Dec 16, 2020
  2. NeoSOS Win User

Fonts

Hello,

I found these steps in this forum from back in 2010:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to try these steps and check whether it helps in fixing your issue.

Open font settings by clicking on start, click on control panel, and then click on appearance and personalization, under fonts click on change font settings. And select the font size.

Step 2:

If you’re trying to change windows font size then please follow the steps below:

To change Windows fonts

1. Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type window color, and then click Change window colors and
    metrics

2. In the Item list, click the part of Windows that you want to change the font for. For example, if you want to change the menu font, click Menu in the list. Then, make any of the following changes:

· In the Font list, click the font that you want to use.

· In the Size list, click the font size that you want.

· In the Color list, click the font color that you want.

3. Repeat these steps for each item that you want to make changes to, and then click OK.

Does that help?

NeoSOS, Dec 16, 2020
  3. how change my system font

Hi Satyam,

The default font on Windows 10 is called Segoe UI. Just to clarify, are you trying to change the default font or are you trying to revert to the default font? If you wish to change the default Windows 10 system font, you will need to modify
    the registry. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow the steps carefully.

If you want to revert to the default font, then I suggest that you restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a
    restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + R and type Control Panel.
    2. Type Recovery in the search box and select Recovery.
    3. Click on Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions.

Note: If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check, go to the
    Control Panel, search for Recovery, and then select
    Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure
    and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.

Let me know if you wish to change the default font instead so I can walk you through the process.

Regards.

Aileen Alf, Dec 16, 2020
  4. System Font Change not applying properly

Bolded Font on Internet Browsers

Hi,

This issue may have been caused by a Windows 10 update that changed your font settings automatically. If you recently updated your operating system, we suggest that you follow these steps to see if the font will go back to normal:

• Type font in the search bar.
    • Select Change Font settings.
    • Click Restore default font settings.

Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

Dennis Mop, Dec 16, 2020
Thema:

System Font Change not applying properly

1. System Font Change not applying properly - Similar Threads - System Font Change

2. KB5034441 failing to apply properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5034441 failing to apply properly: After resolving the lack of free disk space on my recovery partition the patch appears to apply with a success message in the updates log. However, it keeps re-applying every time I check for updates. Also, when I mount the recovery image and search for packages with a date...
  3. regarding change of system font

in Windows 10 Customization
    regarding change of system font: I recently changed my default font using the regular codeWindows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]"Segoe UI TrueType"="""Segoe UI Bold TrueType"="""Segoe UI Bold Italic TrueType"="""Segoe UI Italic...
  4. System Font Change not applying properly

System Font Change not applying properly: I have two ethernet networked HP laptops running side by side, both of which were upgraded simultaneously to 20H2 with all updates via in-place installs from an ISO created with the Media Creation Tool, copied to both desktops, then mounted and used to do the upgrade. After...
  5. System Font Change not applying properly

System Font Change not applying properly: I have two ethernet networked HP laptops running side by side, both of which were upgraded simultaneously to 20H2 with all updates via in-place installs from an ISO created with the Media Creation Tool, copied to both desktops, then mounted and used to do the upgrade. After...
  6. change SIZE of system font

change SIZE of system font: I desperately seeking a way to change SIZE (not the font itself) of system font. Not to scale everything, not to scale text only (because it's not affect this system font size). Everything is allowed hacking included. I don't care about Micro$oft permissions, if Micro$oft...
  7. Changing system apps font

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing system apps font: I just made a previous post about some issue with the time in the taskbar after changing the font but now that I just fixed that I am curious about something else. Before I began to change the font, I expected it to be completely system wide (The lockscreen, settings, and...
  8. Apply a specific font to the whole W10 system

Apply a specific font to the whole W10 system: In Windows 7 we could set the font we choose and apply it to the whole Windows system menus and everywhere. Now, a registry file is set to change the default Segoe UI font and by editing it, it only can change some fonts of the system. Would it really be possible to make it...
  9. Changing System Wide Font

Changing System Wide Font: Good Afternoon, Win 10 Pro x64. Fully up to date as of 25-AUG-2015 @ 1647. I still cannot change the font system wide. Can someone please provide me with a Orthodox method to change the system font? Orthodox = non registry hacking. The "Install" button is still...
  10. Changing the font on system

Changing the font on system: *Mad *Mad Why have Microsoft done away with what they had on Windows 7? On Windows 7, you could go into CONTROL PANEL and into display, and totally change the appearance of things on your computer including FONTS that were used for things such as title bar, active title...