Windows 10: System font on new computer displays weird characters

Discus and support System font on new computer displays weird characters in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; New computer displays symbols for special characters. For example, in the lower right corner the time reads 729AM and in File Explorer a file name... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jjstephens75, Dec 3, 2018.

1. System font on new computer displays weird characters

New computer displays symbols for special characters. For example, in the lower right corner the time reads 729AM and in File Explorer a file name that should be VCMC T&O.docx reads VCMC T^0O.docx.

I tried changing the system font but that did not help so I changed back to the default. I searched this and a couple other forums and did a generic google search but didn't come up with anything.

Any help you can offer will be much appreciated.

:)

jjstephens75, Dec 3, 2018
  2. jerbil Win User

Why is font not displayed in Character Map

Recently upgraded to Win 10. Since then, added new font, Helvetica Neue. It shows in File Explorer, it shows in apps generally (see image) but it doesn't show in Character Map. Why not?

System font on new computer displays weird characters [​IMG]

jerbil, Dec 3, 2018
  3. Times new roman bold font

To further isolate the concern, we suggest that you restore default settings and check if it helps. See steps below:

• Press the Windows key + X, and then click on Control
      Panel.
    • Change the View by to large/small
      icons, and then click on Fonts.
    • On the left pane, click on Font settings.
    • Under Font settings, click on Restore default font settings.

If restoring the default font settings does not bring back the Times New Roman Regular font, we suggest that if you have another computer with Windows 10, you can copy the Times New Roman Regular font into your PC's Font folder.

Patricia Yu, Dec 3, 2018
  4. System font on new computer displays weird characters

Program Language is not displayed

Hi Daniyar_87kz,

I understand how frustrating it can be for your laptop not being able to display the Russian language properly. All Windows 10 editions include fonts that provide broad language support, and the Windows platform includes font fallback mechanisms designed
    to ensure that text in any language always displays with legible glyphs rather than boxes. But some apps may take direct dependencies on particular fonts for displaying certain Unicode characters and do not utilize the font fallback mechanisms provided by
    Windows. In some cases, these apps have taken direct dependencies on fonts that are not present by default on all Windows 10 systems. Because the font that the app is trying to use is not present on the system, some other font gets used to display the text
    instead, and that font may not support all of the characters being displayed. When a character is displayed using a font that doesn’t support that character, a default “not defined” glyph from that font is used. The “not defined” glyph in most fonts has the
    appearance of a rectangular box, or some variation of that. Let's try fixing this together. Adding Russian language and font to your computer would be our first step. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. From the Start menu, open Settings.
    2. Select Time & language.
    3. Select Region & language.
    4. Select Add a language.
    5. Select the Russian language.

If the issue persists, lets try changing the language for non-Unicode programs. Here are the steps:

1. From the Start menu, open Settings.
    2. Select Time & language.
    3. Select Region & language.
    4. Select Additional date, time, & regional settings.
    5. Select Change location.

6. Select Administrative.
    7. Click on Change system locale...
    8. Select Russian.
    9. Click on Apply.
    10. Restart your PC.

Update us with the results.

Gemzon Mar, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

System font on new computer displays weird characters

1. System font on new computer displays weird characters - Similar Threads - System font computer

2. Web Browsers displaying fonts weirdly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web Browsers displaying fonts weirdly: I've been having this issue for quite a few months now, where certain websites display fonts in a very strange way, screenshots below. It happens on both Chrome and Edge, across all 3 of my monitors, and it is quite unreadable. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it....
  3. Web Browsers displaying fonts weirdly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web Browsers displaying fonts weirdly: I've been having this issue for quite a few months now, where certain websites display fonts in a very strange way, screenshots below. It happens on both Chrome and Edge, across all 3 of my monitors, and it is quite unreadable. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it....
  4. Web Browsers displaying fonts weirdly

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows weird font/display glitch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows weird font/display glitch: I don't know how to explain this but other than being a font/display glitch, It didn't start showing up until I installed the .net framework, this also occurs in visual studio.https://imgur.com/6lPoiXp...
  6. Windows weird font/display glitch

Windows weird font/display glitch: I don't know how to explain this but other than being a font/display glitch, It didn't start showing up until I installed the .net framework, this also occurs in visual studio.https://imgur.com/6lPoiXp...
  7. Windows weird font/display glitch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Corrupt Windows font? Numbers in weird characters.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Corrupt Windows font? Numbers in weird characters.: Hi, First I thought this was an application error, but later I noticed I had the same problem in several other applications too. The problem is that all numerical up/down forms in different applications don't show numbers correctly on my PC as shown below. It seems fine in...
  9. System font on new computer displays ASCII characters

in Windows 10 Support
    System font on new computer displays ASCII characters: New computer displays ASCII symbols for special characters. For example, in the lower right corner the time reads 729AM and in File Explorer a file name that should be VCMC T&O.docx reads VCMC T^0O.docx. I tried changing the system font but that did not help so I changed...
  10. Why is font not displayed in Character Map

Why is font not displayed in Character Map: Recently upgraded to Win 10. Since then, added new font, Helvetica Neue. It shows in File Explorer, it shows in apps generally (see image) but it doesn't show in Character Map. Why not? [img] 23862