Windows 10: System freeze during file transfer left volume bitmap error on secondary exFAT HDD

Discus and support System freeze during file transfer left volume bitmap error on secondary exFAT HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So, I've searched Google and various Windows 10 forums & support sites regarding this issue. Nothing I've read so far has answered my question so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by clockeby, Jan 8, 2020.

1. clockeby Win User

System freeze during file transfer left volume bitmap error on secondary exFAT HDD

So, I've searched Google and various Windows 10 forums & support sites regarding this issue. Nothing I've read so far has answered my question so I figured I'd try to explain the issue here. My undying gratitude ahead of time if anyone can give me an answer other than "reformat it". I'll add as much info as I can but if anyone needs to know something specific, ask and I'll get it!

TL;DR

Running chkdsk D: /f /r /x from an Admin cmd results in "could not repair disk. An error was encountered while examining the volume bitmap." Running from Disk Management results in "found disk errors it can't repair. Select 'OK' then try repair again." FSUtils reports the drive flagged as dirty but if chkdsk can't complete/repair the drive, how do I fix the volume bitmap?

QUESTIONS

1. Will manually clearing the dirty bit with a HEX editor make the drive usable again?

2. If Windows 10 still has File Explorer issues, will the same thing happen again as soon as I try to move a new MKV file to the drive?

------------------------------

OS & SYSTEM INFO

Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1909

OS Build 18363.535

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro, BIOS v2104

Intel i5 3.4GHz

16gb RAM

Nvidia GTX 1060 w/ latest drivers

Boot Disk: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB, Single NTFS partition

Secondary Disk: Western Digital Blue 4TB, Single exFAT partition

BACKSTORY

The HDD in question is the Western Digital Blue 4TB. I only use it for movie storage accessed via PLEX on our home network.

Prior to the Windows 10 1903 update, File Explorer had an issue transferring large files like an MKV BluRay rip from our movie collection. I had a different drive at that point 2TB Seagate from 2012 w/ 2 NTFS partitions, but the same issue as this one: While moving an MKV file, transfer status would slowly drop to 0Kb/sec and stall, then the system would freeze/become unusable forcing me to reboot which made the drive report as read-only. That brought my PLEX media center project to a halt. Soon after, the Windows 10 1903 update was released which I read "fixed the file transfer problem", so I installed the update, backed up my movie collection, reformatted the drive, and all was fine until the Seagate died 7 years, RIP at which point I bought the WD Blue 4TB.

Everything was great until the Windows 10 1909 update and suddenly, the exact same scenario happened. MKV transfer stalls, system freezes, I hit reset, and the drive is read-only.

After searching Google for help, everything I read said "use chkdsk D: and some combo of /f, /r, or /x to fix and recover after un-mounting the drive, however running chkdsk via Admin cmd came back with "could not repair disk. An error was encountered while examining the volume bitmap." I think I read that the volume bitmap allocation bitmap/table is an exFAT specific thing which helps in getting more space out of a drive. Exactly why I formatted the drive exFAT when I bought it.

I ran an "is dirty" check and yes, it has a dirty bit. At this point I check the Event View and it's logging an Event ID 153 warning every 1-2 minutes which reads "The IO operation at logical block address 0x10140 for Disk 1 PDO name: \Device\0000035 was retired". Following the Event Log Online Help link gets me to info about drive failure which the chkdsk error would seem to confirm, but running the WD SMART scan on the drive, everything returned says the drive is 100% healthy. I then find a comment in another post which says a hard reset while the drive was performing an operation could also result a volume bitmap error. Exactly my scenario.

I fixed the read-only lock, but I get the same chkdsk error when I try to repair it, even running it in safe mode and for some reason chkdsk won't run a disk scan on boot-up no matter how I try it. I read that you can manually clear a dirty bit on a drive, using WinHex or a tool called DMDE but will that clear the error and return the drive to its "pre-transfer freeze" usable state? I also read that File Explorer in Windows 10 is still jacked up so will getting the drive back up even matter or will the same thing happen as soon as I attempt a 2GB file transfer?

I hope someone gets this and can offer an answer other than a LONG backup process and drive format!

:)

clockeby, Jan 8, 2020
  2. Anne Ros Win User

bitmap files

Hi Trish,

It can be caused by malwares. Some bitmap files are know to contain virus specially if you downloaded a file from an untrusted website. As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you perform a full antivirus scan on your PC using Windows Defender
    or any third-party antivirus apps that you have and see if it will help delete the files.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Anne Ros, Jan 8, 2020
  3. jtjt00 Win User
    Secondary HDD freezes when writting to/deleting files

Since late Sep 2015 updates, I have been getting random freezes when writing files to secondary HDD via Internet Download Manager and also freezes when deleting big file in that HDD.

Things done to fix but failed:
    1. update Internet Download Manager to latest version
    2. replaced secondary HDD
    3. reformat and install Win 10 on SSD

Anyone here experience the same?

Before 22 Sep 2015, I don't have this issue.

jtjt00, Jan 8, 2020
  4. System freeze during file transfer left volume bitmap error on secondary exFAT HDD

The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

CHKDSK C: reports the following:

The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.

Windows has checked the file system and found problems.

Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

After running CHKDSK C: /scan I ran CHKDSK C: again and got the same result as above.

It seems CHKDSK cannot resolve the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute error.

How do I fix the MFT bitmap error?

James Mannion, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

System freeze during file transfer left volume bitmap error on secondary exFAT HDD

1. System freeze during file transfer left volume bitmap error on secondary exFAT HDD - Similar Threads - System freeze during

2. Corrupted Bitmap file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted Bitmap file: What causes the corruption in Bitmap files? I have a Windows 10 HP laptop, and when I open a bitmap file, it goes directly to the photos app, and says that the file has been corrupted or not supported. How do I fix it? And apparently, there is not a topic for corrupted files,...
  3. how to fix the volume bitmap is incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to fix the volume bitmap is incorrect: How to fix the volume bitmap is incorrect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-the-volume-bitmap-is-incorrect/f476a376-0ab0-4119-bff6-256196ca86a1
  4. how to fix the volume bitmap is incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to fix the volume bitmap is incorrect: How to fix the volume bitmap is incorrect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-the-volume-bitmap-is-incorrect/f476a376-0ab0-4119-bff6-256196ca86a1
  5. Files not showing on exfat hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files not showing on exfat hdd: Hi guys. Hopefully you can help me out. I have a HDD which I formatted to exfat. I downloaded a few videos to it from Mac, which I could then use with my kodi player that I have installed on my PC. I then downloaded a few more and wanted to test them too, but they were not...
  6. The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is...: I need help, every time I open my laptop up, it keeps on scanning and fixing for drive C: but it doesn't really fix it. I tried running chkdsk on cmd manually and it shows this Texts: The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect....
  7. Secondary hdd boot error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Secondary hdd boot error: I have installed Windows on my ssd in my laptop.. I took off the cd-dvd case and put an hdd.. now when I turn on there's an error (0xc000000f).. I entered the bios and the boot order is ok.. however if I press esc several times I get the option to choose a boot drive.. so I...
  8. exfat file system for windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    exfat file system for windows 10: I just purchased a 4k Ultra HD Sony video camera. It states that movies saved on SDXC memory cards cannot be imported to or played back on computers or AV devices not supporting the exFAT file system by connecting this product to these devices with the micro USB cable. What...
  9. Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...

Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...: Hi all, Here is a critical problem i have faced. I have inserted my pendrive in an laptop with OS X. As it was in ntfs format the data were shown but writting into this couldn't be done. So I format it to exfat format to get some data. When I insert it into my laptop it was...
  10. Secondary HDD freezes when writting to/deleting files

Secondary HDD freezes when writting to/deleting files: Since late Sep 2015 updates, I have been getting random freezes when writing files to secondary HDD via Internet Download Manager and also freezes when deleting big file in that HDD. Things done to fix but failed: 1. update Internet Download Manager to latest version 2....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix exfat drives on pc bitmap error