Windows 10: System freeze when not attended. What to look for in event log

Discus and support System freeze when not attended. What to look for in event log in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Intermittent problem. System freeze, unable to access any open applications No keyboard, nor mouse. Need to use the reset button to restart.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by arjfca, Oct 23, 2016.

1. arjfca Win User

System freeze when not attended. What to look for in event log

Hello

Intermittent problem. System freeze, unable to access any open applications No keyboard, nor mouse. Need to use the reset button to restart. Had the problem twice today, and about three time last week.

What do I look for in the event log
    Any tool to diagnose?

Martin

:)

arjfca, Oct 23, 2016
  2. shoort Win User

The time provider 'VMICTimeProvider' has stopped..

A couple of times recently I have had system crashes requiring hard reboot. When I look at event logs I notice that there are information entries with this same information and also the event log time stamps are not sequential--there will be entries about
    an hour prior to the system freezing in between entries for a few minutes before the freeze (according to the time displayed on the computer, which I have not noticed to be in error). When the system reboots the event log shows the wrong time (an hour early
    or so) for the uncontrolled shutdown. Could there be a link between this issue and the system crashing?

I have also found entries related to system clock and hardware clock but when I google "system clock vs. hardware clock" I get all these hits related to Linux, which is not used on my PC.

shoort, Oct 23, 2016
  3. Windows 10 crashes PC randomly

Both system have no WiFi and are connect to the network with an Ethernet cable. I have found an Windows-WHEA-Logger error in the event viewer which seems to show up around the time that the screen
    freeze. Is any one else seeing the same error?

Have a look in the "Event Viewer > Applications and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Kernel-WHEA"

then have a look at the "Number of Events" listed under "Errors" ,both the Dell Optiplex 3020 Systems which freeze have the "Number of Events" above zero where all my other Windows 10 32Bit systems are at zero.

AdamWood880, Oct 23, 2016
  4. XweAponX Win User

Open Event Log, look for two things: First any messages about your Hard Drives. Next, any messages about Power or Sleep modes.

If you can, run a Hard Driver tester, there are bunches on Hiren's Boot CD, google for a download link then boot to that, go to DOS programs and there are Hard Drive programs. GWscan works with a lot of different drives. If not, use the tool for your brand, which is usually a variation on the same app, and most HDD brand tools are in the same area.

Check for Read Element Failure, this has been my #1 cause of freezes. If you get that message it's an easy fix, run the full scan on the drive, and it will lock out bad sectors. Then keep your eye on it and see if new messages about the HDD show up in Event log.

Also, check for Blue Screen messages in the event log, there should be a numbered error, if you see those, especially more than one number, search both of them. Last week, I had a specific Blue Screen error, and by the two numbers it gave, I tracked it down to a crappy Display Driver update.

Check both Applications and System event logs, If you see error messages re: power, standby, hibernation, anyth8ing related to that, try changing your power settings. Are you telling your system to sleep/hibernate after a certain amount of time? Try changing the time, or turning that off.

XweAponX, Oct 23, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    1. Backup your PC
    2. Run chkdsk on your system drive
    3. Run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt
    4. Update all drivers from within Device Manager

Steve C, Oct 24, 2016
  6. arjfca Win User
    hello
    Thanks for the reply

System just did the same problem.

No error found on my SSD
    No blue screen message in the event viewer

I suspect one of my graphic card. My system has two and the monitors hooked to of of them went with no image and a white back color. The others was displaying their original image. I had no control on the mouse nor the keyboard and again the only alternative was to use the reset button.

I'm doing the Nvdia update, but i don't think that this is a software problem.

I will look for more test before going out to by a new card

Martin

arjfca, Oct 24, 2016
  7. arjfca Win User
    Hello Steve

System crashed two time this morning
    No error found using CHKDSK and sfc /scannow

Did the Nvdia update

Martin

arjfca, Oct 24, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

Its could be a GPU driver problem. Ensure you remove the current NVidia drivers from Add/Remove programs before adding the new one. Also, check you are using a WHQL driver. I have an AMD GPU and they have a habit of publishing non-WHQL drivers. Also check the connections from your motherboard to all peripherals, including the 1 or 2 power cables to the GPU since this can cause problems if the GPU can't draw enough current.

Steve C, Oct 24, 2016
  9. XweAponX Win User
    Might want to try rolling back any updates for the card that's malfucntioning. If you can't get into Windows to do it from Device Manager. boot to a Windows 10 installer and run System Restore, see if you have any restore points from before you last updated the graphics drivers. Windows 10 is notorious for bad graphics driver updates, two of which bricked my system. And never, ever, apply any graphic driver updates from WUpdate. Search the Tutorials for ways to exclude those from regular updates.

Also, if you have an SSD hard drive, there may be tools from the manufacturer that can check it for errors, you won't get the same kind of errors an HDD will, and you can't even defrag the drive. Raxco makes a tool that recovers free space and that has worked for the systems I've worked on that had SSDs. But the mfgr should have utilities that can check it for errors that regular tools can't find.

XweAponX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System freeze when not attended. What to look for in event log - Similar Threads - System freeze attended

2. Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125. What's It Mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125. What's It Mean?: My computer shut off waking from Sleep. This is what I saw in event viewer after restarting the pc again. What does it mean and how can I fix this problem if possible?Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125ACPI thermal zone \_TZ.TZ10 has been enumerated. _PSV =...
  3. Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125. What's It Mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125. What's It Mean?: My computer shut off waking from Sleep. This is what I saw in event viewer after restarting the pc again. What does it mean and how can I fix this problem if possible?Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125ACPI thermal zone \_TZ.TZ10 has been enumerated. _PSV =...
  4. What is Dbx in Event Viewer > Windows logs > system ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is Dbx in Event Viewer > Windows logs > system ?: Hello so basically I contacted the Dell support there this guy wanted to remotely connect to my laptop so he told me I might have an OS issue but he asked me to login to my Microsoft account while he was remotely connected to my laptop then when I logged in the saw everything...
  5. What is Dbx in Event Viewer > Windows logs > system ?

What is Dbx in Event Viewer > Windows logs > system ?: Hello so basically I contacted the Dell support there this guy wanted to remotely connect to my laptop so he told me I might have an OS issue but he asked me to login to my Microsoft account while he was remotely connected to my laptop then when I logged in the saw everything...
  6. Computer keeps freezing, keep seeing Event 4311, NetBT in Event Viewer System Log

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer keeps freezing, keep seeing Event 4311, NetBT in Event Viewer System Log: My computer keeps freezing, I keep seeing this in the Event LogEvent 4311, NetbtInitialization failed because the driver device could not be created. Use the string "025041000001" to identify the interface for which initialization failed. It represents the MAC address of the...
  7. Computer keeps freezing, keep seeing Event 4311, NetBT in Event Viewer System Log

Computer keeps freezing, keep seeing Event 4311, NetBT in Event Viewer System Log: My computer keeps freezing, I keep seeing this in the Event LogEvent 4311, NetbtInitialization failed because the driver device could not be created. Use the string "025041000001" to identify the interface for which initialization failed. It represents the MAC address of the...
  8. What event logs to look at ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What event logs to look at ?: Win 10 home version 21H2 OS Build 19044-1469My laptop HP ENVY shuts down occasionally for reasons I don't yet understand.Never when in use but at night when I'm asleep. I awake and find the laptop powered off.It powers back on just fine and everything, as far as I can tell,...
  9. What event logs to look at ?

What event logs to look at ?: Win 10 home version 21H2 OS Build 19044-1469My laptop HP ENVY shuts down occasionally for reasons I don't yet understand.Never when in use but at night when I'm asleep. I awake and find the laptop powered off.It powers back on just fine and everything, as far as I can tell,...
  10. What event logs to look at ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging

Users found this page by searching for:

1. time mismatch in event log viewer windows 10 freezes vmictimeprovider