Windows 10: system freezes after login (not a new install)

Discus and support system freezes after login (not a new install) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; New user question. This Dell OptiPlex has be upgraded from Win7Pro since the first week it was available with no problems. It had been running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dolson80301, Nov 21, 2015.

1. system freezes after login (not a new install)

New user question. This Dell OptiPlex has be upgraded from Win7Pro since the first week it was available with no problems. It had been running overnight and when I went to login I typed in my password and hit enter the balls started to rotate (about a 1/4 turn) and stopped (froze). I was forced to hold the power switch till the system shutdown. Everything came back up normal but on every attempt to log in, I get a 1/4 turn of the balls and it freezes again. I can see shares from remote computers but can not log in. I cant figure out how to get it in to safe mode or do anything else.

Any suggestions on how to get back on my system?

:)

dolson80301, Nov 21, 2015

2. Still getting the full system freeze on Anniversary Update, is there any hope?

I'm still getting a total system freeze after login on the latest Anniversary update that claims to have fixed the freeze issue. I tried a clean boot and it still freezes after login. I've used the update assistant 3 or 4 times (Because the automatic windows
    update always fails), and still get the freezing issue. In one case it even froze on the "We've just updated your PC" intro screen.

Will the be another update to this update that addresses this? I've seen on other forums that I'm not the only one still getting freezes.

I'm tempted to reset my PC after the update is applied, but I'm pretty sure I can't rollback after that, and if the machine still freezes after a reset I think I'm totally boned? This is a brand new motherboard on a high end system. Not sure why I'm having
    these issues. It does have 2 drives--an M2 drive, and a platter drive that is only used to store backups of the M2, BTW.

acknickulous, Nov 21, 2015
  3. New home built system

I recently built a new system with a clean install of Windows 10. When i try to boot the system hangs at the login screen or shortly after logging in. System specs are:

ASRock n68c-gs4 fx

GeForce gt 420 128 bit/ 2gb ddr3 video RAM

16gb Corsair vengance ddr3

AMD fx6300 6core @3.5 GHz

The system runs fine with other operating systems but cannot run win10 without it either freezing on boot or shortly after.... Please help!

19jrussel74, Nov 21, 2015
  4. lmaneke Win User

system freezes after login (not a new install)

When you get to the login page, you will see a power button at the bottom right corner of your screen. It will say, shutdown and restart. Before clicking restart, press and hold the shift key down. Click restart, it will say, please wait.

After restart, it will bring up an advanced startup menu. Click troubleshoot, then click advanced, "or whatever is below RESET your PC, then click on advanced startup, then restart.

After restart, press 5 for safe mode with networking. Do not press 4 for just safe mode, as there is a bug in the Start menu as it crashes. Safe mode with networking works fine.

You can also do a system restore in the advanced options as well.

lmaneke, Nov 21, 2015
  5. lmaneke Win User
    If its freezing before getting to desktop, I'm suspecting hardware drivers may be causing an issue there.

lmaneke, Nov 21, 2015
  6. Sorry, lost my password and this has taken me a bit to get back in.
    your instructions on how to get in to safe mode were great! I did get back in and uninstalled the last 2 programs I did put in before the freeze but still cant get in so either this was a windows 10 upgrade that made something old stop working or I haven't uninstalled far enough back. I have been going through the event viewer looking for some driver error listed but all I see is a dcom failure. do you have any other suggestions of what to look for the get me back in normally?

dolson80301, Dec 7, 2015
  7. lmaneke Win User
    You may need to go back into safe mode, and possibly create a new user account. Create the account, then reboot Windows, and log into the new account. Not sure if safe mode allows the addition of new accounts, but you may be limited on what you can do here.

If all else fails, you may need to reload Windows. There is always a chance something got corrupted on your Windows 10 Installation.

Do you have a Windows 10 Disk? If not? Do you have the Windows 7 Pro Recovery Media that comes with your machine?

Some Recovery Media allows the user to back up all of your data before reinstalling Windows.

In my experience as a computer tech, I always strive to keep extra hard drives handy, just in case I want to install a clean copy of Windows on a new Hard drive. If you don't want to lose data that you absolutely need, You should probably buy a new hard drive, install Windows on the new hard drive, and then transfer all of your personal files from the old hard drive to the new one, plus, create a backup of your files, and create a new image of your system.

If you do not have your Windows 7 Recovery Media, or do not have a Windows 10 disk. it is easy to download the Windows 10 Iso online.

If you have another computer, go to google. Type in "Windows 10 Media Creation tool"

There should be a link to go ahead and download the Media Creation tool from Microsoft.

Once downloaded, Run the tool, and it will give you the option to download Windows 10, or Windows 10 N. Make sure to only download Windows 10, and to get the x64 bit version of Windows. You can either create a bootable USB drive, or create an ISO to burn to a DVD.

After you do what you choose, go to your computer that is having the problems, go into the BIOS, or UEFI, depending on what kind of bios your system has, and go into the boot options, and change the boot settings to either boot from the DVD or the USB drive, depending on which one you chose to do.

Hope this helps, and maybe someone else can offer better advice, but this is what I would do in this type of situation.

lmaneke, Dec 19, 2015
  8. system freezes after login (not a new install)

Well, I did the windows reset with save data, and it came back and I can log in again, but of course I need to find all my licenses and keys for everything I had installed which is tough for companies out of business or online purchases like adobe acrobat that wants an uninstall before a reinstall etc. lessons learned, good backups, keep your keys in a safe place, keep your install media in a safe place, use the Ten Forums! Thank you Imaneke, sorry this took so long to finish.

dolson80301, Mar 3, 2016
  9. lmaneke Win User
    You're welcome. Glad I was able to help

lmaneke, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

system freezes after login (not a new install)

1. system freezes after login (not a new install) - Similar Threads - system freezes login

2. Windows 10 re-installed, freezes after login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 re-installed, freezes after login: Hello,I have a problem, I tried to reinstall windows 10 and there were a few issues but I feel like I managed to get through them. Now my big problem is that when I start W10, I login and for a while, like 2 minutes or 5, my PC freezes, cannot see my mouse or use Win, Ctrl,...
  3. Windows 10 re-installed, freezes after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 re-installed, freezes after login: Hello,I have a problem, I tried to reinstall windows 10 and there were a few issues but I feel like I managed to get through them. Now my big problem is that when I start W10, I login and for a while, like 2 minutes or 5, my PC freezes, cannot see my mouse or use Win, Ctrl,...
  4. Windows 10 re-installed, freezes after login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD and Computer freezing after new install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD and Computer freezing after new install: Hi all, Coming to you as I have recently upgraded my computer and am facing issues that got me confused. The computer is regularly freezing or entering BSOD with multiple types of errors. I did a clean install of Windows 10 even tried windows 11 just to see if this was...
  6. BSOD and Computer freezing after new install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD and Computer freezing after new install: Hi all, Coming to you as I have recently upgraded my computer and am facing issues that got me confused. The computer is regularly freezing or entering BSOD with multiple types of errors. I did a clean install of Windows 10 even tried windows 11 just to see if this was...
  7. BSOD and Computer freezing after new install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 10 system freezes randomly again after new hard driver installed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 system freezes randomly again after new hard driver installed: Hi My HP Pavillion P7-1449 desktop with the new hard driver C and Windows 10 installed has run into the problem of freezing or lock up randomly again. This had happened since my Windows 10 has installed the fall Creators Update years ago by Microsoft. Then someone on the...
  9. Freezes after login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Freezes after login: Every time I restart or shut down my computer, there is a chance where my computer freezes after I login. Also it attempts to update but it doesn’t even update anyways since I check the update history and it says it failed. So pretty much it resets twice. My desktop shows up...
  10. System keeps freezing after clean windows install on a brand new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System keeps freezing after clean windows install on a brand new SSD: Hi everyone, tl:dr Windows keeps freezing after I installed new SSD. I'm not able to determine what is causing the problem. I'm unable to update my SATA drivers. Components in question My motherboard: 970A-UD3P Rev 1. SSD in quesiton: Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD1(Z) 500GB...