Windows 10: System freezes temporarily at approximately 2-minute intervals due to "SVCHOST -k rpcss...

Discus and support System freezes temporarily at approximately 2-minute intervals due to "SVCHOST -k rpcss... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a system that has a frustrating behavior. Worse, I cannot identify the root cause. I hope someone can help. The most common event with this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by gwiljr, Jul 29, 2018.

1. gwiljr Win User

System freezes temporarily at approximately 2-minute intervals due to "SVCHOST -k rpcss...

I have a system that has a frustrating behavior. Worse, I cannot identify the root cause. I hope someone can help. The most common event with this issue is described as follows.

At approximately 2-minute intervals, keyboard input and mouse cursor movement will freeze for about 5 to 10 seconds. In addition, any mouse movement is apparently queued for processing once the freeze stops. For example, when this freeze occurs as I am using the mouse to move the cursor across screen, cursor movement will stop for 5 to 10 seconds. If I did not notice the freeze, my continued movement of the mouse will result in the cursor suddenly jumping across the screen as if the mouse movement was queued or stored for processing. The situation has become very frustrating.

In an effort to identify the source of the problem, I started Task Manager and set it up to view processes from high CPU usage to low. I would then slowly move the mouse across the screen to monitor for the freeze event. Eventually, the cursor movement stopped. A that moment I expected to see Task Manager display a process consuming a lot of CPU usage, but it too would failed to update. Only during a brief second after the freeze did I catch a glimpse of a SVCHOST process consuming a lot of CPU usage. I then attempted to use Process Explorer, which would display a CPU consuming SVCHOST process at the start of the freeze. After several minutes of observation, I was finally able to capture the following information.

"SVCHOST -k rpcss -p" followed by a specifc PID. Using the PID, I was able to obtain additional information using Task Manager and Process Explorer.

wpnuserservice_e68fda

RPCEPMAP,DLL

Windows Push Notifications User Service e68fda

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

RPC Endpoint Mapper

c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k rpcss -p

Can anyone provide instructions on how to resolve the freezing problem, or guidance on how to at least identify the root cause?

I appreciate your time in reading this post.

:)

gwiljr, Jul 29, 2018
  2. MCTusc Win User

Memory Leak in svchost.exe (RPCSS)

Here's an illustration of service's performance graph.

System freezes temporarily at approximately 2-minute intervals due to "SVCHOST -k rpcss... [​IMG]

Each of the green peaks is a point at which Windows freezes.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the memory usage grows to over 250MB. When I'm not having the issue, the memory that Process Explorer reports as being used by this process is around 8-10 MB.

MCTusc, Jul 29, 2018
  3. Wile E Win User
    RAM Died: svchost error

svchost is part of the OS, it just interacts with other aspects.

Wile E, Jul 29, 2018
  4. System freezes temporarily at approximately 2-minute intervals due to "SVCHOST -k rpcss...

Win10 system freezing for 2 minutes every 5-15 minutes

Hi,

I did a clean boot, and opened the Edge browser to have something to do. Within minutes, the system stopped responding to clicks for a few minutes, then executed all commands at once.

Without rebooting to a normal state, I did the following-

System file checker - no integrity violations.

I did the list in the "improving performance" article; still freezing. Memory monitor showed lots of headroom in my 8G RAM.

System Update says I'm current; I'm hesitant to force the Creators update before Microsoft offers it to me.

Sigh.

JohnFlenniken, Jul 29, 2018
Thema:

System freezes temporarily at approximately 2-minute intervals due to "SVCHOST -k rpcss...

1. System freezes temporarily at approximately 2-minute intervals due to "SVCHOST -k rpcss... - Similar Threads - System freezes temporarily

2. svchost system error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    svchost system error: hi everyone i have been facing this strange issue while opening few apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/svchost-system-error/966ca1ba-3195-4fae-80f7-f72317ecd548
  3. svchost system error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    svchost system error: hi everyone i have been facing this strange issue while opening few apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/svchost-system-error/966ca1ba-3195-4fae-80f7-f72317ecd548
  4. Laptop won't sleep due to svchost 119528

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't sleep due to svchost 119528: My laptop running Windows 10 21H2 wouldn't sleep. I ran powercfg -requests and here's what I got:SYSTEM: [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe CDPUserSvc_119528 Nearby sharing transfer is in progress.How can I fix this?The same issue was posted here...
  5. Laptop won't sleep due to svchost 119528

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop won't sleep due to svchost 119528: My laptop running Windows 10 21H2 wouldn't sleep. I ran powercfg -requests and here's what I got:SYSTEM: [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe CDPUserSvc_119528 Nearby sharing transfer is in progress.How can I fix this?The same issue was posted here...
  6. Laptop won't sleep due to svchost 119528

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  7. Pc slows and freezing in intervals

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc slows and freezing in intervals: Intel i7 4770 16gb ddr3 Gtx1070 Samsung evo 850 ssd My pc began slowing down and freezing in intervals or lagging especially on start up. After a certain amount of time passed it would be fine but it would creep back after 10 minutes. I was convinced either my ssd was...
  8. Windows is freezing constantly 2-3 seconds at regular interval after installing system...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is freezing constantly 2-3 seconds at regular interval after installing system...: Anyone can help me here? I just installed Windows 10 through bootable USB drive and when i updated the windows through system updates which includes security definitions, anti malware tools, display drivers, other hardware drivers, features update, cumulative update etc. and...
  9. Surface Book 2 temporarily freezes and screen fades to gray.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Book 2 temporarily freezes and screen fades to gray.: I've recently purchased a surface book 2 and I have been having an issue with it. Occasionally, while using the computer, the screen will seem to freeze and slowly fades to gray. If I don't move the mouse or type the screen will go completely gray, but if I do it will...
  10. svchost.exe (rpcss -p) siezing system

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    svchost.exe (rpcss -p) siezing system: Every couple of minutes, it seizes the system for 10-15 seconds. Chasing the PID to Process Explorer, it's running RpcEpMap.DLL and rpcss.DLL. Can anyone tell me how to shoot this further? I don't know what's kicking it off. When it runs, it averages just under 7% CPU but I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0xa00f4271 media capture failed event