Windows 10: system freezes up after any change in volume

Discus and support system freezes up after any change in volume in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Recently my computer has started doing this thing where if I change the volume everything will freeze for several seconds before allowing me to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Skekenon, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Skekenon Win User

system freezes up after any change in volume

Recently my computer has started doing this thing where if I change the volume everything will freeze for several seconds before allowing me to do anything again. I've restarted several times, updated audio and video drivers, ran antivirus scans, and nothing is working. the first time I updated the video drivers it significantly decreased the amount of lag, but then after a couple hours it was back to the same way it was before. This is immensely frustrating especially since I do a lot of work with audio and find myself needing to change the volume rather often.

I should note that it has only started doing this in the past few weeks or so, and it started happening after an update, and despite having updated again since, the problem has persisted. I have only seen one other question about this but it is locked and the provided answer did not help. My computer is by no means top of the line or anything, but it has been fine and should be able to deal with a simple change in volume.

My system specs:

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz

Motherboard: GA H81M-DS2V

RAM: 16 GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

:)

Skekenon, Nov 8, 2019

2. Windows 10 volume is always defaulted to 36 and I can't change it

Hi Ajinc,

It could be some outdated sound drivers or some audio enhancements that caused the issue you are experiencing with controlling your system volume. To narrow down such concern, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Which version and build of Windows 10 is currently installed on your computer? To check, click on the
      Start > Settings > System >
      About
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer settings prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps listed here. Those are troubleshooting steps suitable for sound problems.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Nov 8, 2019
  3. Removing errant files in the "System Volume Information" folder under Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

I suggest you to first stop Volume Shadow Copy service and try to remove the files and check. Follow the steps provided below:

Step 1: Stop Volume Shadow Copy service

• Press Windows logo Key + R key.

• Type services.msc.

• Search for Volume Shadow Copy service.

• Right click on it and select
      Stop.
    Now, take ownership of the System volume Information folder and then try to delete its contents.

Step 2: File permissions.

• Right click on System volume Information folder.
    • Select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Select the user name.
    • Click on Edit button.
    • Under permission to Authenticated user, check on full control.
    • Click on Apply and OK button.

Hope it helps. Do let us know the status of the issue. If you need further assistance, get back to us. We will be glad to assist you.

Syed Md Bilal, Nov 8, 2019
  4. nanohead Win User

Changing the system volume drive letter safe?

It depends. Need some more information. Is your boot volume c: ? If so, then others can be changed around as needed, but there may be collateral damage. Usually, if there are pointers set in the registry, as long as you use the storage management plugin to change the drive letter assignments, most things should work.

Trouble comes in the form of applications that keep file system information (folders, path names, etc) in files that are stored in directories during installation. Those usually cannot be changed easily, unless you know that they are there and where they are....

What drive letters are you trying to change specifically, and what is the operating system

nanohead, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

1. system freezes up after any change in volume - Similar Threads - system freezes change

2. Freezes a few minutes after start up, any reason as to why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freezes a few minutes after start up, any reason as to why?: Newly built pc about a month old, everything was running great till about a week ago. After logging in, it would do its normal thing and start everything up and get it ready about 3-5 minutes in it just freezes, unresponsive, screen is still on and pc fans are still running....
  3. My system changes sound volume without any reson

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My system changes sound volume without any reson: Hi from some time like 2 mounths my system is changing sound volume of whole system when specific apps are active clicked for eg. rockstar games luncher or multimc custom minecraft luncher system set volume to 8% as long as this apps is active when any other app is active the...
  4. My system changes sound volume without any reson

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My system changes sound volume without any reson: Hi from some time like 2 mounths my system is changing sound volume of whole system when specific apps are active clicked for eg. rockstar games luncher or multimc custom minecraft luncher system set volume to 8% as long as this apps is active when any other app is active the...
  5. System freezes for few seconds after changing volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System freezes for few seconds after changing volume: Recently I updated to Windows 11 Insider Preview 22533.1001 rs_prerelease so it might be a bug related to Beta version but I saw similar threads and the problem seems to be related to updating version in general and not this specific version.As soon as I change my volume...
  6. System freezes for few seconds after changing volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System freezes for few seconds after changing volume: Recently I updated to Windows 11 Insider Preview 22533.1001 rs_prerelease so it might be a bug related to Beta version but I saw similar threads and the problem seems to be related to updating version in general and not this specific version.As soon as I change my volume...
  7. Windows bluescreening after an audio change in system volume, and Headphones not working...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows bluescreening after an audio change in system volume, and Headphones not working...: Hi, I am posting this for a friend as they had crashes lately. Their PC was fine but then it started crashing when they tried to louden or deafen the audio to their monitor. And then they had no audio coming to his headphones. We tried updating the drivers but that didn't...
  8. SYSTEM volume showing up in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SYSTEM volume showing up in explorer: [ATTACH] I've Recently Cloned my windows to a new & larger SSD but now it shows the System Volume (256mb) in my explorer, any way to remove this? https://preview.redd.it/sta2iqhamia61.png?width=3555&format=png&auto=webp&s=4525d8445a877618ddb5e7b1fd0efb56013337e6...
  9. System freezes on start-up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System freezes on start-up: Hello Windows 10 forum experts, I'm an old buzzard (last year of the draft) and not very tech literate, sorry. I hope I'm doing this correctly. I recently did the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my desk-top computer. Now, when I turn on my desk-top the...
  10. freeze after system reset

in Windows 10 Support
    freeze after system reset: I was having major issues on my HP DV7 laptop with win 10 so tried resetting to win 7 and now for 5+ hours has been stuck on "resetting this PC 99%". can I power it off and restart or should I just let it keep going? there was nothing worth saving so not worried about losing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changing volume freezes the volume windows 10