Windows 10: System functions causing Windows CU Updates to take hours to do

Discus and support System functions causing Windows CU Updates to take hours to do in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Ever since I upgraded to 1903, there have been times where, for no readily explored reason, it takes hours, literal hours, to do an incredibly simple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JMacleod26, Apr 15, 2020.

1. System functions causing Windows CU Updates to take hours to do

Ever since I upgraded to 1903, there have been times where, for no readily explored reason, it takes hours, literal hours, to do an incredibly simple Cumulative Update due to DISK clog. And all I can parse from this is that, for no reason I could POSSIBLY understand, the System function during the updates hogs all the DISK for hours upon end, to the point it chokes out the Windows Module Installer entirely. This completely freezes the update process, and I’m wondering if anyone else has to put up with this BS? Or might know why this is happening.

I have a HDD, I know it takes a while. But not 4 hours, a freaking CU should not take 4 freaking hours where 3 hours is wasted by the System being a complete and utter DISK hog, stuffing its god damn face with writing time that could have been spent on the freaking upgrade.

Now, this doesn’t happen every time, last month was incredibly smooth actually, but I am so god damn fed the hell up by this piece of crap OS wasting hours of my life and sanity doing BS it doesn’t need to be doing. It should only take an hour, not 3-4.

Anyways, any advice?

:)

JMacleod26, Apr 15, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Windows 10 CU Issues

I am no longer running the Creators Update so I can not do any further testing. I posted this issue in the hopes of possibly determining the issue before I give the CU Upgrade another try.

Georgea357, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

System functions causing Windows CU Updates to take hours to do

Windows 10 Slideshow causing major system lag

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

May I know the make and the model number of the system?

Which build version of Windows is installed on the computer?

This issue could be caused when the drivers are not up to date after a hardware changes, you can try the troubleshooting steps below so that we can narrow down to the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Update graphics driver.

1. I suggest you to
      update graphics drive from device manager
      and check, to find the graphics driver from device manager, you can expand the
      display adapters from the device manager.
    2. I would also suggest you to check if there are any other drivers with a yellow exclamation mark, if so, please update the specific drivers by following the steps provided in the article above.
    3. You can also try to put the system under
      High Performance and check if that helps you, do to that you can.

1. Click on Start and then
      Control Panel.
    2. From the list of displayed item under
      Control Panel click on Power Options, which takes you to
      Select a power plan page. If you do not see
      Power Options
      , type the word 'power' in the Search Control Panel
      box and then select Choose a power plan.
    3. By default, the option to change power plans is disabled. To enable this, click the
      Change settings that are currently unavailable link.
    4. Choose theHigh Performance
      option
    5. Close the Power Option
      window.

Method 2: Improve system performance.

If you still face the issue, I suggest you to follow the article on

Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10
    and check if this helps you.

Disclaimer: The last step on this article contains the steps to
    Reset your PC, I suggest you not to perform that step, as it will wipe the data and application on your computer.

If you still need any further help, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

System functions causing Windows CU Updates to take hours to do

1. System functions causing Windows CU Updates to take hours to do - Similar Threads - System functions causing

2. What do I do if Windows 11 update is taking hours/days?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I do if Windows 11 update is taking hours/days?: Windows 11 update is taking hours and hours. I left it to run overnight and it’s still only at 17% almost 12 hours later. Says I cannot turn it off midway through, so how what do I do? I’m SO angry with Microsoft. I would never have upgraded if I thought it could take this...
  3. What do I do if Windows 11 update is taking hours/days?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What do I do if Windows 11 update is taking hours/days?: Windows 11 update is taking hours and hours. I left it to run overnight and it’s still only at 17% almost 12 hours later. Says I cannot turn it off midway through, so how what do I do? I’m SO angry with Microsoft. I would never have upgraded if I thought it could take this...
  4. Windows update taking 3 hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update taking 3 hours: title says it all, at the moment its been stuck restarting for 40 mins, is there anything i can do specs: gtx 1660, 16gb ddr4, mx500 m.2, ryzen 3 3200g submitted by /u/69pimp69 [link] [comments]...
  5. Windows updates takes hours.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows updates takes hours.: Why can I install Windows, fresh about two times in the time it takes like a 600mb update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-updates-takes-hours/9b7f176c-1623-4dd0-a1c5-f2ddef4214d3
  6. System restore taking hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System restore taking hours: My laptop wasn't booting uo so I tried to do a system restore. It has been around 6 hours since I started and it is still hasn't finished. What should I do submitted by /u/Re-Evolution7 [link] [comments]...
  7. System taking hour to start after windows 10 update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System taking hour to start after windows 10 update.: Hi, My system is taking hours to start after upgrading system to windows 10.Could please look into the issue earliest. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-taking-hour-to-start-after-windows-10/95824bc5-ab01-45a4-b167-2eccff3a5bd5
  8. Windows 10 update takes hours.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update takes hours.: Microsoft, Please make sure that Windows 10 updates are not so painful. I have lost income due to Windows 10 update taking hours, and my laptop was showing circle going round and round, with nothing happening. I lost at least 4.5 hours of income and I am not rich to get these...
  9. Windows system restore - taking 2 hours plus ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows system restore - taking 2 hours plus ?: Tried a system restore on 2 occasions today. First session ran for over 2hrs with the screen saying "Please wait while etc etc". Read that if runs more than an hour it may be frozen and suggests a hard reset of the device. The second session is doing the same restoring for...
  10. Update taking over an hour?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update taking over an hour?: Before I went to bed, I clicked to shut off my side computer (OS: Windows 10), and saw "Update and Shut down" as an option so I clicked that and went to bed. I woke up 8 hours later about 7pm, and I turned on my side computer and saw "Working on updates 0%". It has been over...