Windows 10: System hangs after major feature update

Discus and support System hangs after major feature update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I get the following endless repeating after a Windows update DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JeffRollason, May 12, 2019.

1. System hangs after major feature update

I get the following endless repeating after a Windows update

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:

{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-

This was mid april 2019

The symptoms of my problem seem to exactly mirror the problem reported in the thread below. I followed the suggested remedies but none of these helped

https://answers.microsoft.com/

Above suggested link below

https://answers.microsoft.com/

These are the results of those suggestions below. Following also another thread which wanted to follow-up looking at what update caused this, but I am in safe mode and the Windows Update screen is non-operative. Clicking on "Windows Update" under settings does nothing.

12-May-19 8:03: C:\Users\Jeff>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

12-May-19 8:21: C:\Users\Jeff>dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.17134.1

Image Version: 10.0.17134.1

[==========================
    The operation completed successfully.

12-May-19 8:24: C:\Users\Jeff>

Jeff Rollason

:)

JeffRollason, May 12, 2019
  2. Erik Win User

Is it possible to prevent Windows to reset many system settings to default after a major update (Fall Creators Update)?

I recently installed the Windows 10 Creators Update on many of my PCs, and as with previous "major" update releases, I noticed that many of the system settings, including things like:

• Energy options in device manager ("allow device to wake the computer from sleep"
      re-enabled for mice and keyboards which is annoying because I
      intentionally turned these off)
    • basic mode of displaying the taskmanager and many more get reset to
      their defaults.

Since major updates are coming approximately twice a year, I was wondering: why does Windows do that, and is there a way to turn this behavior off? It is especially annoying if you install a computer for a novice user, and after an update you have to redo all these customization steps again.

On the other hand, many things like explorer settings stay the same, for example things like "show hidden files" or "show file extensions".

So the main questions are:

• which settings are reset after an update, and what's the criteria behind that selection, where others aren't?
    • is there a list of the things that are reset during a
      major update for reference?

3. Windows 10 update hangs on downloading updates at 98%

Hi vinodh,

In step 3 you state to press enter after after each command but its written like one sentence,could you list them so we can identify each command please.my pc just hangs on "checking for updates" so i installed the win 10 updater and that just hangs on 99%
    so i will try what you suggest above.

Thanks

but not with this email add, May 12, 2019
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

System hangs after major feature update

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

System hangs after major feature update

1. System hangs after major feature update - Similar Threads - System hangs major

2. System random hangs after KB5011563

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System random hangs after KB5011563: I'm running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit on a new Intel i9-12900 system with 64GB of RAM. I'm using on-board graphics only; there are no peripheral cards plugged into the motherboard an Asus ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming Wifi board.The Reliability Monitor indicates that my system started...
  3. System random hangs after KB5011563

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System random hangs after KB5011563: I'm running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit on a new Intel i9-12900 system with 64GB of RAM. I'm using on-board graphics only; there are no peripheral cards plugged into the motherboard an Asus ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming Wifi board.The Reliability Monitor indicates that my system started...
  4. Sound Card is no longer working after a major Windows Feature Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Card is no longer working after a major Windows Feature Update: A customer claims their Sound Card is no longer working after a major Windows Feature Update from 1803 to 1809, what can you do to get their sound working again?*Original title: Max...
  5. system hangs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    system hangs: After the last upgrade, my Acer Aspire keeps hanging on restart. A message saying an error has occurred and it must restart. this happens several times then it hangs. I cannot get it to switch off! Any ideas what is the problem?...
  6. Computer major freezing after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer major freezing after update: Hi, my computer usually freezes around the time I get updates and then goes back to normal but since the latest update my computer has been freezing like crazy. I am finding it hard to use because it freezes for over 40 minutes sometimes. Would really appreciate a solution!...
  7. System Reserved defrag % climbing after three major 1903 updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System Reserved defrag % climbing after three major 1903 updates: *Confused Last three 1903 updates (all three were this latest Tuesday update that I screwed up and had to sys restore), the fixed % (was 10%) system reserved drive, has climbed 1% per update, now at 13%. IMHO, since windows defrag does not defrag this drive it MUST be...
  8. System Restore Points turned off after Major Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Points turned off after Major Updates: Today I did the update to Version 1903. After the update I went to see if I had restore points as after the last Major update it was turned off and I lost all my restore points. Alas, again, the system restore was turned off so I again lost all my restore points. Why do...
  9. SYSTEMS HANGED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SYSTEMS HANGED: MY LEPTOP IS VERY VERY HANG WHEN I UPDATE ANY TYPES OOF APPLICATIN ARE NOT ON AND FULL SYSTEM IS VERY SLOW https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/systems-hanged/08d47e98-e567-4b10-b49a-e2e37dca81a0
  10. System Hangs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Hangs: I have had repeated problems with system hangs since installation on July 29. The latest updates 3pm today have been applied. I have disabled most tasks in startup but so far still getting hangs varying from a few minutes till an hour or more. I have looked at the event logs...