Windows 10: System icons greyed out

Discus and support System icons greyed out in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My system icons icons are greyed out, like Volume and Power, so I can not enable them. After setup they work just fine, then they disappear. It is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TairikuOkami, Aug 9, 2015.

1. System icons greyed out

My system icons icons are greyed out, like Volume and Power, so I can not enable them.
    After setup they work just fine, then they disappear. It is either caused by my settings or:
    I wonder, when custom power and sound card drivers gets installed, they get lost? *Huh

SFC scan does nothing. By playing with settings and closing explorer.exe, volume icon appeared and stated, that there is no audio service running, when I moved the slider, the message and red X disappeared, but after restarting explorer.exe, it was gone again. My sound card audio service, Windows audio are running.

Seems this problems happens: System Icons Greyed Out for Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

:)

TairikuOkami, Aug 9, 2015

2. System tray icons greyed out

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

It could be due to incorrect settings or corrupt system files or stopped services.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

When you click on the Off button to turn it on what happens?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Restart the computer a few times and check for Windows Updates.

In the Search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

If the issue persists, then try to run SFC scan.

It scans for damaged system files. Right-click the Start icon and select
    Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt window, type
    sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Then type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and hit Enter.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Aug 9, 2015
  3. System tray icons greyed out

System icons greyed out [​IMG]
    Someone
    may help me with this? i can't turn on this tray icons.. i think is because i stopped some services but i don't know which one affect this. Maybe is other problem but i just can't resolve this. Please help me

Daniel-IonutGuta, Aug 9, 2015
  4. AEM
    aem Win User

System icons greyed out

MS can provide updates to your hardward as you know and they sometimes overeide what you should really install. Go to the website and download the correct driver.

5. EDIT: Reinstalling ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery restores power icon temporarily.
    On my second laptop, all icons came back to life by itself. I do not need them on mine, so np.

EDIT 2: Volume control disappears, when I disable laptop's default sound card.
    Old volume and power icons can be used, power works, sound still not though.

Reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell" /v "UseWin32BatteryFlyout" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

Reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\MTCUVC" /v "EnableMtcUvc" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

EDIT 3: My problem was caused by disabling action center, which also disabled system icons:

reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" /v "DisableNotificationCenter" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

TairikuOkami, Aug 9, 2015
  6. I have figured it out at last. It is all because those entries were set to low, so icons crashed or something.

reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "HungAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "5000" /f

reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WaitToKillAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f

reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control" /v "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f

TairikuOkami, Aug 25, 2015
  7. megabyte Win User
    I have the same problem.
    Could you please talk me through how to fix this? I am completely in the dark...

Oooops, sorry I clicked it twice

megabyte, Oct 24, 2015
  8. megabyte Win User

System icons greyed out

I have the same problem.<br>
    Could you please talk me through how to fix this? I am completely in the dark...

megabyte, Oct 24, 2015
  9. I would say, that each problem is unique, but you try this, run CMD as admin and enter:

reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "HungAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "5000" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WaitToKillAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control" /v "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f

Restart and you will see immediately, if it is fixed or not, if not, you will have to look for another solution.

TairikuOkami, Oct 24, 2015
  10. megabyte Win User
    Thank you very much for your help.
    The very strange thing I am finding out about Windows 10 is that when I get so very desperate and finally get to posting about my problem, I boot up the next day and the problem is solved. I should not speak too soon though. I have crashed this laptop over 50 times for various reasons so I am asking for trouble....

megabyte, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

System icons greyed out

1. System icons greyed out - Similar Threads - System icons greyed

2. Icons in the system tray are all greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons in the system tray are all greyed out: As on the title says my icons in the system tray are all greyed out. I cant click on it and it is not responding. I can connect inside settings but the icon are still greyed on the tray. No changes made on this PC that might cause the issue....
  3. Icons in the system tray are all greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons in the system tray are all greyed out: As on the title says my icons in the system tray are all greyed out. I cant click on it and it is not responding. I can connect inside settings but the icon are still greyed on the tray. No changes made on this PC that might cause the issue....
  4. Icons in the system tray are all greyed out

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Battery icon is greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery icon is greyed out: I want to see my battery icon to keep on trackm but after some time it will go out and if I check the settings it is greyed out. How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-icon-is-greyed-out/9481ac50-05a4-4cdf-9e5e-430d2967ed75
  6. Battery icon is greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery icon is greyed out: I want to see my battery icon to keep on trackm but after some time it will go out and if I check the settings it is greyed out. How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-icon-is-greyed-out/9481ac50-05a4-4cdf-9e5e-430d2967ed75
  7. battery icon greyed out!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    battery icon greyed out!: I want the battery icon active in my task bar but it always disappear once in a while and comeback. I tried checking settings to make sure it is on, but it is already on. Everytime it went missing, and I check the settings, it will no longer available and greyed out. How to...
  8. System icons on taskbar greyed out or disappeared

System icons on taskbar greyed out or disappeared: Hello, the last couple of days I am experiencing a very annoying problem. The right side of the taskbar, which includes all the system icons and date and time etc., keeps changing. And it is not in a good way at all. Most of the time it looks like this picture TB1:After I run...
  9. clock system icon is greyed out in taskbar settings

clock system icon is greyed out in taskbar settings: After the previous update I noticed that the clock icon is missing from the taskbar. So I went to `Taskbar Settings > Turn System icons on or off`. But I am not able to turn on the system icon for clock and action center since it is greyed out. I tried solutions from internet...
  10. Power Icon Missing: System Icon Greyed out - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Icon Missing: System Icon Greyed out - Windows 10: I recently updated my computer, and then had to fix some issues with it blue screening. Now my power Icon is missing and I can't turn it back on because it is greyed out. I really need it back, does anyone know how to fix this? and I am unable to find Windows Explorer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to enable greyed out system icons on windows 10