Windows 10: System icons not opening when I click on them

Discus and support System icons not opening when I click on them in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, Hoping I could get some help. I've googled around but not been able to find a fix yet. I'm trying to open things from the system tray (WiFi,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Natural-Regret, Aug 10, 2020.

1. System icons not opening when I click on them

Hi all,

Hoping I could get some help. I've googled around but not been able to find a fix yet.

I'm trying to open things from the system tray (WiFi, action centre, date time etc) but unable to open most of them. Further, I can't seem to open and view available networks from the main WiFi settings either. Is there a way to fix this?

Alternatively is there a WiFi manager or something that I can use to get around this?

Edit: just noticed for some reason I can open it in the lock screen... Really bizarre

Thanks

submitted by /u/Natural-Regret
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Natural-Regret, Aug 10, 2020

2. Windows 10 - Folders/icons freeze when I right click on them.

Hi Adam,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the system prior to this issue?
    Initially, I would suggest you to install latest Windows updates including optional one and check if it helps.

Windows Update helps keep your computer up to date with the latest system updates and drivers. You can check Windows Update manually to help ensure you have the latest updates.

• Hit Windows Key and type
    • Type Windows Updates
    • Click on Windows Updates
    • Click on Check for updates andinstall
      the latestwindows updates.
    If the above steps doesn't help, suggest you to try the method below.

Method 1: I suggest you to run System File Checker, which will check your system for missing, corrupt or damaged files and attempt to fix them.

Please refer the article on “How to run System File Checker” and check if that helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-gb

Method 2: DISM:

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Aug 10, 2020
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Aug 10, 2020
  4. System icons not opening when I click on them

Some buttons not reacting when I click on them

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the below:

• Did you make any hardware or software changes prior to this issue?

• What is the current build installed on your computer? (To check the build, Press
      Windows + R keys to open Run command, type
      Winver and press Enter)

• What happens when you click on these buttons? Did you get any error message?

I suggest you to follow the methods given below and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to install all the updates on your computer.

Follow the steps below.

• Click on search
      bar, type Windows Update.

• Select Check for Update.

• Download and
      Install the latest Windows Updates.
    Method 2: I suggest you to run the Hardware Troubleshooter by following the steps provided below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and type Enter.

• Click on View All on top left corner.

• Select Hardware from the list and follow the prompts for
      troubleshooting.
    Method 3: Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Click on Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Run the Troubleshooter.
    Refer: Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Aug 10, 2020
Thema:

System icons not opening when I click on them

1. System icons not opening when I click on them - Similar Threads - System icons opening

2. Notifications won't open when I click on them on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notifications won't open when I click on them on Windows 11: HiI get my notifications on Windows 11 and it works fine.When I click on them to get to their website to actually read the notification, it just disappears and it won't take me to the website.It is also for any other application like whatsapp or anything else.How do I fix...
  3. Notifications won't open when I click on them on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notifications won't open when I click on them on Windows 11: HiI get my notifications on Windows 11 and it works fine.When I click on them to get to their website to actually read the notification, it just disappears and it won't take me to the website.It is also for any other application like whatsapp or anything else.How do I fix...
  4. Unable to open Photos when I click on them.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open Photos when I click on them.: From Quick access the photos open but when i click on any photo from any folder it open photos app but the photo is not visible . The screen goes grey but there is still minimize, close and restore options on the top right corner. When I right click on the photos app in the...
  5. Unable to open photos when i click on them.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open photos when i click on them.: When i open the photos folder , I can see the photos and they do get opened. Even from the Quick access the photos open but when i click on any photo from any folder it open photos app but the photo is not visible . The screen goes grey but there is still minimize, close and...
  6. Unable to open photos when i click on them.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open photos when i click on them.: When i open the photos folder , I can see the photos and they do get opened. Even from the Quick access the photos open but when i click on any photo from any folder it open photos app but the photo is not visible . The screen goes grey but there is still minimize, close and...
  7. when i open settings it opens but when i click on "system settings" it crashes immediately...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    when i open settings it opens but when i click on "system settings" it crashes immediately...: i tried to restart the pc and it didn't work what can I do to fix it? edit : it only happens on display setting but system settings automatically brings you there submitted by /u/maznivhooshim [link] [comments]...
  8. will not open up when I click icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    will not open up when I click icon: HP support assist will not stay open when i click on icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-not-open-up-when-i-click-icon/c385bde1-3838-4017-b238-7d48b71edfde
  9. My icons change when i click on them

in Windows 10 Customization
    My icons change when i click on them: So i changed my task bar icons to custm white ones and on one monitor it works perfectly fine where as on my other monitor as soon as i click on it it changes to the original icon it usedto be. And i have ADHD so it kinda irritates me. So if anyone has a solution please...
  10. Chrome and Steam don't open. When I click on them, nothing happens.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Chrome and Steam don't open. When I click on them, nothing happens.: It doesn't happen with other programs. I don't know where to start if there isn't even a problem report. Just the loading cursor and nothing. What it could be possibly happening? submitted by /u/JaviVader9 [link] [comments]...