Windows 10: System Image Backup failed with odd message

Discus and support System Image Backup failed with odd message in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have tried to run a system image backup on my Win10 VM and it fails with an odd message. the location must not be "compressed or encrypted or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by MacNala, Oct 29, 2015.

1. MacNala Win User

System Image Backup failed with odd message

I have tried to run a system image backup on my Win10 VM and it fails with an odd message.
    the location must not be "compressed or encrypted or sparse".
    Now I understand what compressed and encrypted mean and the location is not those, but sparse?

Details
    Host: Win7 64bit SP1
    Guest: Win10 64 bit build 10565

with TBs to spare

:)

MacNala, Oct 29, 2015
  2. AndyKent Win User

System Image Backup Failed with error: The backup failed. Windows Backup encountered an error when writing data to the backup target. (0x80780166) & 0x80070002 on Windows 10

Found another solution which may apply to some people.

I'd taken a system image and system repair disk before sending my laptop off for repair. As it turned out I was sent a new, identical unit instead. I successfully re-created my previous installation from those two backups. When I went to do a system image
    of the new box some time later, to the same external disk, it failed on 0x80780166 and 0x80070002.

Most of the recommendations I found on the various fora seemed to relate to permissions and I realised the most likely explanation was that the new box couldn't access a folder created by the old box. I just deleted the old image backup folders and let it
    start from scratch and it worked fine.

All of the above were done on Windows 10. The latest major update had just been applied prior to the most recent backup attempt.

But Microsoft, I think it's pretty lame that in 2016 you're still spitting out 0x80780166 and 0x80070002 when surely it would be no more trouble or expense to give something like "System image does not have permission to read folder xx\yy\zz". It would save
    people a lot of time and exasperation. Just sayin'.

AndyKent, Oct 29, 2015
  3. JJLongVP Win User
    System Image Backup Failed with error: The backup failed. Windows Backup encountered an error when writing data to the backup target. (0x80780166) & 0x80070002 on Windows 10

I couldn't agree more, Andy. As hard as MS is trying to make this edition the best ever, little things like this are so discouraging. Thank you. John

JJLongVP, Oct 29, 2015
  4. Hydranix Win User

Try defragmenting your hard drive. I believe that by sparse, it wants a contiguous location of free disk space to save the image.

I've never thought of a location as being sparse, only an existing file could be sparse as far as I knew.

Hydranix, Oct 30, 2015
  5. Lord Snow Win User
    also try extend or shrink the destination partition

Lord Snow, Oct 30, 2015
  6. MacNala Win User
    Thanks for both the replies.
    Unfortunately the location I quoted is in a device which I cannot control. It is a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ which appears to have a Linux type of O/S. I know nothing about Linux. The device is quite old and has been working for some time so the disks (Raid) may be fragmented but I know of no way of 'de-fragmenting' them. The device is so old that Netgear no longer support the version I have.

MacNala, Oct 30, 2015
  7. Hydranix Win User
    Oh ok. That's the sort of information that one would include in the initial post *Smile

Since it's a NAS, and runs Linux, ignore my last post. Fragmentation isn't the issue.

How are you accessing the NAS, via SMB (Windows share), or WebDAV, or FTP or something else? I know Linux better than I know Windows, and if you want to get this working, I'm determined to help.

Hydranix, Oct 30, 2015
  8. MacNala Win User

I thought I had given enough info in the beginning Location a Netgear ReadyNAS.
    However thanks for your continued help.
    In windows 7 and windows 10 there is a Backup Restore function (app or tile or something).
    In Windows 7 you can select a network location by opening the dialog and entering the location in the way you may recognise L: \\ReadyNAS\FolderName Windows 7 then checks that it can connect to that location and then you go on and setup what you want to backup. When you start the backup it appears to assemble the data and then starts to write to the Location. It is at that point I get the error Backup failed with the details I quoted "the location must not be "compressed or encrypted or sparse".
    In Windows 10 I have to map the location drive and folder to a Drive letter as the latest builds (insider) do not display the computer that supports the NAS. It cannot therefore be selected as the network location. Having mapped the drive\folder the backup proceeds in the same manner as in Win 7 and fails with the same error.
    Thinking a little more clearly I think this may not be a Win 10 problem but a problem with the NAS support s/w but I could not understand the "sparse".

MacNala, Oct 30, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
  10. MacNala Win User
    Thanks I will investigate the possibility.

MacNala, Oct 30, 2015
  11. Hydranix Win User
    From looking into similar problems with ReadyNAS devices, the true samba configuration file isn't located in the standard location.

Apparently editing the normal file located at /etc/samba/smb.conf will only result in a temporary edit. Rebooting will regenerate that file based on the file at:

Code: /etc/frontview/samba/smb.conf.*[/quote] That's the one you'll want to edit.

Hydranix, Nov 1, 2015
  12. MacNala Win User
    A complete failure.
    I cannot find the folder or files you indicated.
    There does not seem to be any way I can access them. They do not show up when I use a browser to access the ReadyNAS or if I examine the contents using Windows file explorer.

there is no folder etc that I can find.

MacNala, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Image Backup failed with odd message - Similar Threads - System Image Backup

2. Why does System Image Backup fail?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does System Image Backup fail?: Win 10 Pro x64 version 22H2. Periodically, I run File History > System Image Backup > Create System Image to a 447 gb external drive that has up to 381 gb free, or has the last backup on it. Sometimes it runs fine and sometimes it fails early on, with the message below. The...
  3. Why does System Image Backup fail?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does System Image Backup fail?: Win 10 Pro x64 version 22H2. Periodically, I run File History > System Image Backup > Create System Image to a 447 gb external drive that has up to 381 gb free, or has the last backup on it. Sometimes it runs fine and sometimes it fails early on, with the message below. The...
  4. backup and restore system image fails

backup and restore system image fails: I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an answer that works. I have an Acer machine running windows 10 Home. It has a 1 TB internal hard drive and a 1TB external hard...
  5. Windows System Image backup failing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows System Image backup failing: Win 10 Pro 1904. I run a System Image Backup via File History every week or so, and did so after installing 1904 last week. Today's run is failing. I did swap in a new nonsystem backup HDD earlier today that had been cloned previously and reestablished some drive letters (and...
  6. System image backup failed

System image backup failed: System image backup failed FIRST ATTEMPT The backup failed The operation timed-out before the shadow copy was created on the storage location (0x80780036) Additional Information: The shadow copy provider timed out \while flushing data to the volume being shadow...
  7. System Image Backup Failed In Windows 10

System Image Backup Failed In Windows 10: Today I wish to share this solution that I found from this community credited by Syed Abdul Jabbar that he answered this issue long time ago.(Replied on September 21, 2015) In case you did not see it. However, First before you will do this step, I would like to share a trick...
  8. system image backup failed

system image backup failed: I had a successful image backup a year ago. However, recently, when I tried to do image backup, it failed. Please see the attached file. It happened on version 1809. I checked history service and volume shadow copy service and both of them were on automatic and had started. I...
  9. "Create a system image" "The backup failed"

"Create a system image" "The backup failed": Windows 10 Pro Build 1809 fully updated Trying to create a system image. Steps followed: File History - System Image Backup New windows opens - "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" Click "Create a system image" Browse to external USB drive Process commences then this...
  10. Backup/System Image options keep failing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup/System Image options keep failing: Having some trouble trying to create a system image of my system as I'm getting a "Server execution failed (0x80080005)." error that whatever I try just seems to remain unaffected. I've tried sfc /scannow to resolve issues, checked permissions, but I'm getting nowhere...