Windows 10: system image backup fails. Migrate user data only ?

Discus and support system image backup fails. Migrate user data only ? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; welp, this hard drive is fubar. Can't create a system image in any program because certain LBAs cause every backup software to hang and fail. So the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by link626, Mar 19, 2020.

1. link626 Win User

system image backup fails. Migrate user data only ?

welp, this hard drive is fubar.
    Can't create a system image in any program because certain LBAs cause every backup software to hang and fail.

So the next best option is to just migrate user data.

Will Chrome browser data and cookies be transferred properly?

Last time I tried copying the user folder, browser history data etc were not copied properly.

:)

link626, Mar 19, 2020

2. Is My Understanding of Windows Bare Metal System / Images Backups vs. File Backups ... and Restores Correct?

So my understanding of it is like this, there are two types of backups, and they are Image Backups and Data / User File backups...

• Image Backups (System Backups / System State /Disaster Recovery Backups)
      • The Creation Process
        • Can be created with wbadim system state backup
        • Then if the Data / User File Backups are included in it, they can be removed by mounting the Image Backup, and removing the Data / User Files from it to save on space (see
          this
          )
      • What it Includes / Excludes
        • Excludes the Data / User File Back
        • Includes installed programs and OS system files.
        • On Windows, you'll probably also want to remove any temp files from the image such as:
          • pagefile.sys
          • hiberfil.sys
          • swapfile.sys
      • When?
        • It's best to make this after you have the machine setup the way that you want with the programs already installed on it, and after updates are installed, you'll want to back it up again...this isn't always possible, but it's likely the best time to do this.
    • Data / User File Backups (User File Backups)
      • The Creation Process
        • Usually a full backup is created and then incrementals or differentials after that (and of course use a strategy like GFS)
      • When?
        • Run more frequently than image backups, these backups are scheduled and run when few people are using the system...
      • What it Includes / Excludes
        • Only includes the data /user files, and it does not include any of the system files and program files like the Image Backup.
    Then when you need to do disaster recovery, you restore the Image Backup first, and then when it's been recovered you add back in the
    Data / User File Backups to the system.

I know that the Data / User File Backups (User File Backups)
    can be removed from the xvhd file back created in the system state backup to decrease it's size by mounting it and deleting said files
    . But I'd like to know if I first restore the
    Image Backups (System Backups / System State /Disaster Recovery Backups), and then restore my Data / User File Backups will I still be able to use the machine as it was when I did the backups?

Is my understanding of this correct? Is there anything I missed?

Thank you,

Andrew J. Leer

Andrew Leer, Mar 19, 2020
  3. System Image Problem

[table][tr][td]Version[/td] [td]Date[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.05[/td] [td]8/03/2009[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.08[/td] [td]7/21/2009[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Mar 19, 2020
  4. bgw2go Win User

Windows 10 System Image Backup fails

I have not tried this resolution because of the initial steps I listed in my question. As mentioned in my original statement, I performed a clean install of Windows 10, yet when I tried to restore the computer from a System Image Backup it failed. As I just
    got the computer up and running again with Windows 7, I didn't want to go back and try this fix as I didn't see how it would help as I originally upgraded from a Windows 7 computer that has BIOS, and upon looking at the settings, there is nothing listed about
    EFI.

bgw2go, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

1. system image backup fails. Migrate user data only ? - Similar Threads - system image backup

2. Why does System Image Backup fail?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does System Image Backup fail?: Win 10 Pro x64 version 22H2. Periodically, I run File History > System Image Backup > Create System Image to a 447 gb external drive that has up to 381 gb free, or has the last backup on it. Sometimes it runs fine and sometimes it fails early on, with the message below. The...
  3. backup and restore system image fails

backup and restore system image fails: I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an answer that works. I have an Acer machine running windows 10 Home. It has a 1 TB internal hard drive and a 1TB external hard...
  4. Backup system image plus Users files

Backup system image plus Users files: When setting up Backups for the first time I was given the option of system image only or system image pus Users files. I chose the latter, but I want to change to system image only. But I can't find that option now. How do I change to system image only?...
  5. User to User Data Migration

in Windows 10 Customization
    User to User Data Migration: When I got my current device, I used my parents Microsoft account for the main user and administrator on it. Now that I have my own account, I want to make a user using my personal information, but everything is on the first account. Is there a way I can migrate all the data...
  6. Windows System Image backup failing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows System Image backup failing: Win 10 Pro 1904. I run a System Image Backup via File History every week or so, and did so after installing 1904 last week. Today's run is failing. I did swap in a new nonsystem backup HDD earlier today that had been cloned previously and reestablished some drive letters (and...
  7. System image backup failed

System image backup failed: System image backup failed FIRST ATTEMPT The backup failed The operation timed-out before the shadow copy was created on the storage location (0x80780036) Additional Information: The shadow copy provider timed out \while flushing data to the volume being shadow...
  8. system image backup failed

system image backup failed: I had a successful image backup a year ago. However, recently, when I tried to do image backup, it failed. Please see the attached file. It happened on version 1809. I checked history service and volume shadow copy service and both of them were on automatic and had started. I...
  9. "Create a system image" "The backup failed"

"Create a system image" "The backup failed": Windows 10 Pro Build 1809 fully updated Trying to create a system image. Steps followed: File History - System Image Backup New windows opens - "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" Click "Create a system image" Browse to external USB drive Process commences then this...
  10. Backup with system image failed because user files on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup with system image failed because user files on 2nd drive: Hi I have been trying to setup a scheduled backup (Windows 7 Backup and restore) on Windows 10. I want to include a system image of the C: drive as part of the back up and save it to the D: drive. However Windows wont let me save the image on the D: drive, I think because...