Windows 10: System image cannot be backed up because System Reserved partition does not have enough space.

Discus and support System image cannot be backed up because System Reserved partition does not have enough space. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed Windows10 Home on a machine on which Windows 7 Home was installed. Before I installed Windows 10, I removed all the partitions on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ToshimiMinoura, Apr 21, 2021.

1. System image cannot be backed up because System Reserved partition does not have enough space.

I installed Windows10 Home on a machine on which Windows 7 Home was installed.

Before I installed Windows 10, I removed all the partitions on the desk by using diskpart partition /override.

Then the System Reserved partition of 50MB was created by the Windows installation program.

The image backup function fails stating that for a partition up to 500MB, extra 50MB is needed.

Therefore, I need to free 50MB at the beginning of volume C and add 50MB to the System Reserved.

I checked several FREE partition management programs

and found none that supports this capability.

Is there any way to do this for free.

I now how to use Disk Management and diskpart.

Thank you.

Toshi

:)

ToshimiMinoura, Apr 21, 2021

2. Clearing space in the System Reserved Partition

Hi Gautham,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if system reserve partition is size is less.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

1. When is the current size of the System Reserved Partition? Is there is enough space in the partition?

2. Are you able to view the folders through Minitool Partition Wizard?

I suggest you to try to increase the space allocation for System Reserve Partition. The below steps can also be implemented in Windows 10 to increase the size of System Reserve Partition.

Error: We couldn’t update the system reserved partition

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 21, 2021
  3. Clearing space in the System Reserved Partition

On MBR disk, Windows 10 requires a 500MB system reserved partition, while 100MB in Windows 7, so you can try to extend system reserved partition.

In disk management, you can only extend partition using the unallocated space next to its right side. so even if you shrink D: drive, the option to extend the efi partition is still grayed out. My suggestion is to use an third party software, AOMEI
    Partition Assistant, both the standard (free) or the Professional(paid) version can extend partition as long as there is unallocated space on that hard drive. to see more information read:

Fix "We Couldn’t Update the System Reserved Partition" Error

Windows built-in tools won't allow you to delete system reserved partition. You need to use third party software to make a bootable media, and the boot form the media to delete it.

Youngwarlord, Apr 21, 2021
  4. Saltgrass Win User

System image cannot be backed up because System Reserved partition does not have enough space.

system reserved partition

What that reference does is remove the fonts folder which gives a little more room. You are trying to increase the size of the System Reserved Partition so it will be large enough.

As Greg says, you need to move the front of the C partition and leave unallocated space so you can extend the System Reserved partition into that space.

I normally use the Bootable version of Partition Wizard to do that.

Doing this can be dangerous so backup whatever you can.

I suppose the utility you use to image your drive may be taking space from the System Reserved partition..

I an couple of weeks, the next new build upgrade could be released. You may want to start getting your system ready so you can do a clean install with it..

Saltgrass, Apr 21, 2021
Thema:

System image cannot be backed up because System Reserved partition does not have enough space.

1. System image cannot be backed up because System Reserved partition does not have enough space. - Similar Threads - System image cannot

2. Backing up system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backing up system image: If I back up a system image on an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-system-image/8f04a05f-43b6-4633-b212-400d17fd1a81
  3. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  4. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  5. System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  6. Not enough back up space for system image. Is it optional?

Not enough back up space for system image. Is it optional?: There's not enough space on my external drive to back up my files AND a system image. I've deleted all but one backup and it has a system image. The Control Panel back up info doesn't include how NOT to make a system image with the back up. I can fix the space later but I...
  7. System reserved Partition

System reserved Partition: as you can probably see in the screenshot , my System reserved Partition and the partition where my windows is installed are on totally different drives: windows: drive 0 (SSD) System reserved Partition: drive 1 (HDD) what i want is simple: move System reserved Partition...
  8. Can't update Windows because of System Reserved Partition.

Can't update Windows because of System Reserved Partition.: Everytime I try to update my windows it says that I was unable to update system reserved partition. I even tried to manually update it and that didn't work....
  9. Cannot access System reserved partition in diskmgmt.msc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access System reserved partition in diskmgmt.msc: I'm trying to access the System Reserved Partition. When I start the disk management console I can see the volume I want but properties is greyed out. I'm on Windows 10 Home Insider preview, build 18351.1. I can access it from Powershell using mountvol F: /S. I can also...
  10. No system reserved partition

No system reserved partition: Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it tries to install I get the...