Windows 10: System Image: Controlling what gets backed up

Discus and support System Image: Controlling what gets backed up in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I just re-installed Windows 10. I'd prefer NOT to do that any more than necessary, which includes after a Windows upgrade causes a problem. SO, I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by GracieAllen, Dec 4, 2015.

1. System Image: Controlling what gets backed up

I just re-installed Windows 10. I'd prefer NOT to do that any more than necessary, which includes after a Windows upgrade causes a problem.

SO, I'm trying to set up Windows 10 to make a system image (periodically). It WORKS fine, but instead of just taking the system disk, it's ALSO backing up one of my other disks. I BELIEVE it's because the other disk has a page file on it.

I'm putting the main pagefile on the NON-SYSTEM disk because my system is on an SSD and it's recommended (from what I've read) to minimize keeping things on there that get beat on regularly... BUT, as I understand it, any disk that has a pagefile on it is going to be included in the system image. This is a problem 'cause the non-system disk it's backing up has a couple TERABYTES of images on it along with the pagefile.

SO, can I tell Windows 10 Image backup NOT to mess with the other disk?
    OR, do I put a little partition on the other disk just to hold the pagefile?
    OR, do I just say, "screw it" and put the whole pagefile on the system SSD?
    OR, do I find a 3rd party tool to make a system image?

:)

GracieAllen, Dec 4, 2015

2. What data gets backed up in a NBU file from a 2630...???

Hi All,

I have been using PC Suite 6.85.14.1 and making weekly "full backups" of my Nokia 2630 to *.NBU files.

Thing is, I REALLY need to get a number from the "received calls" logfile from months ago.

Does anyone know if the NBU files contain the call logfiles?

PC Suite only gives me the option of restoring the data over the top of my current data, which I'd prefer not to do. And it doesn't mention logfiles specifically.

I've tried using Noki v1.5 on the NBU files. I can access pictures, address book, etc, etc but it doesn't show the log files. I don't know if that's a limitation of Noki or if the data just isn't in the NBU files.

Any advice much appreciated..!!!

gumboots---01, Dec 4, 2015
  3. What data gets backed up in a NBU file from a 2630...???

**bleep** System Image:  Controlling what gets backed up :( this is a real pain.

thanks for the quick reply though System Image:  Controlling what gets backed up ;)

gumboots---01, Dec 4, 2015
  4. OldMike65 Win User

System Image: Controlling what gets backed up

Well GracieAllen, the BEST way to make your system image is to use Macrium Reflect, free version. This will make your backup of just your C-drive if that's what you want. Lots of us on here either use Macrium or Acronis for making complete Image backups. Acronis thou is not free. Windows image backup can have problems sometimes. Your choice.

OldMike65, Dec 4, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    You should also move your pagefile back to your SSD if you've got space - you are making your performance worse for no reason by putting it on HDD.

SSDs don't suffer from such a limited lifespan any more - you can re-write the entire disk multiple times per day every day for years

Drive writes per day | The SSD Guy

lx07, Dec 5, 2015
  6. Cool. I'll drop it back on the SSD. I've got Acronis I believe. I'll have to look at the stuff I haven't installed yet.....

GracieAllen, Dec 5, 2015
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Exactly.
    And I wouldn't bother with Acronis anymore either. Macrium Reflect Free is just the ticket. Amazing piece of software and no bloat at all.

Best, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Image: Controlling what gets backed up

1. System Image: Controlling what gets backed up - Similar Threads - System Image Controlling

2. What is included in Windows system image back up?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is included in Windows system image back up?: I am accessing the backup function via the control panel. I have the lastest Windows 10 home edition and is fully updatedI see the following when i click on backup and restore window7when i then go into change settings, I see the following Does choosing 'Let windows choose'...
  3. What is included in Windows system image back up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is included in Windows system image back up?: I am accessing the backup function via the control panel. I have the lastest Windows 10 home edition and is fully updatedI see the following when i click on backup and restore window7when i then go into change settings, I see the following Does choosing 'Let windows choose'...
  4. What is included in Windows system image back up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Backing up system image

Backing up system image: If I back up a system image on an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-system-image/8f04a05f-43b6-4633-b212-400d17fd1a81
  6. Unbale back up a system image

Unbale back up a system image: Keep getting 'check VSS and SPP log. Logs are not helping at all. Error code 0x81000019. I have checked multiple threads and tried starting services, clean book, check **** etc etc. No other language pack installed. I have another PC that has no such problem....
  7. System Image Back Up

System Image Back Up: How should I prepare my hard drive for a system image back up to DVD/CD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-back-up/d7cd84c5-5317-451e-8f95-d580a3f22aff
  8. Cant back up to get a system image?

Cant back up to get a system image?: Why do I get the following message? One answer I read said they removed Sky Dive and worked however I do not know what Sky Dive is. Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Google Drive. Error:(STATUS_WAIT_2...
  9. Back up System Image

Back up System Image: Hello, I have HP pavilion laptop, and want to make System Image Back up by: Back up and Restore (Windows 7) ==> Create a system image. I have 2 physical disks in my laptop: A- Disk 0 (SSD): Windows(C) + Windows RE tools. B- Disk 1 (HDD): 1- Data (D) 2- HP Factory...
  10. System Image Back Up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Back Up: Trying to do a system image back up on Windows 10.Get error 0x80042302.Shows back up disc disconnected.It is connected.In file history it shows the hard drive any more deals ? 60169