Windows 10: System Image not recognizing hard drive

Discus and support System Image not recognizing hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I try to create a system image it doesn't recognize my external hard drive. I see it in the file explorer but it will only let me back up to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rockin' Randall, Sep 12, 2019.

1. System Image not recognizing hard drive

When I try to create a system image it doesn't recognize my external hard drive. I see it in the file explorer but it will only let me back up to a DVD ROM. I've initialized and formatted the external hard drive but to no avail. I can drag and drop any file on to the drive but, when it comes to making the system image, no luck. I've rebooted by computer and it still does the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem. I sure would like a solution, the Microsoft website was a no go on the problem, at least I couldn't find a fix.

:)

Rockin' Randall, Sep 12, 2019

2. Hard drive not recognized Windows 10

Hi Curtis,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance you required to resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. Is the portable hard drive connected to your PC via USB cable?

2. Did you get any error message that the drive was not recognize by your PC?

For now, I would suggest that you check if the USB cable that connects the hard drive and the PC is not damaged. If not, then I would suggest that you connect your hard drive to another PC and check if the device is recognized in that particular computer.

If the device gets recognized, then I would suggest that you connect the external hard drive, open File Explorer and check if the drive has an assigned letter. If not, open Disk Management while the drive is connected to the system and follow the steps below.

1. Right click on the Start Menu and select Disk Management

2. Right click on the external drive>Select New Simple Volume and
    assign letter to the drive.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Sep 12, 2019
  3. GKing Win User
    Maxtor Hard Drive Beep

Maxtor drive beeps

Have a similiar situation using a DiamondMax Plus 8, 20GB Mfg Date 4/15/03. Drive used as a second system drive. Drive is recognized in boot menu but not in drive list. Drive is always connected. Computer started locking up for several seconds at a time. Chkdsk on drives and couldn't find that drive. Removed drive from bay to make sure connections were ok and heard the beeping. Shutdown and restart and never got to windows screen. Restarted several times then saw drive in boot menu and Windows loaded but Maxtor not in drive menu. When recognized in boot menu, computer will start but beeps and is not found.

Tried kicking it real hard but no improvement. Any suggestions?

GKing, Sep 12, 2019
  4. System Image not recognizing hard drive

[HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

System Image not recognizing hard drive

1. System Image not recognizing hard drive - Similar Threads - System Image recognizing

2. System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery: I used the Backup and Restore Windows 7 tool to create a system image, which I stored on my NAS. I then copied that image to a new, clean drive. I attempted to use that to image a drive on a new computer using the Windows Recovery environment and selecting Recovery from a...
  3. System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery: I used the Backup and Restore Windows 7 tool to create a system image, which I stored on my NAS. I then copied that image to a new, clean drive. I attempted to use that to image a drive on a new computer using the Windows Recovery environment and selecting Recovery from a...
  4. External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel: I am having problems with my drive being recognised in the 'create a system image'.I wanted to back up my entire computer by creating a system image as I'm currently in Windows 11 Insider Program Dev. Channel and want to downgrade to Win 10.Thus, when I plugged in my external...
  5. External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel: I am having problems with my drive being recognised in the 'create a system image'.I wanted to back up my entire computer by creating a system image as I'm currently in Windows 11 Insider Program Dev. Channel and want to downgrade to Win 10.Thus, when I plugged in my external...
  6. Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image: I'm using Windows 10 version 1909. If I want to make a system image, can I format the external drive using NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT? Do all three formats work? 175544
  7. Hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive not recognized: My second Hard Drive is not recognized. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-recognized/e93a541f-2e22-4896-88ab-3c2042aec8a6
  8. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: Hey, I got a new hard drive today and for some reason I am unable to add it to my already existing ssd drive that my pc desktop currently runs on. I have tried going into create and format hard disk partitions and allocating the “unallocated disk” but there isn’t any drive...
  9. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: suddenly my external hard drive is not showing up in my pc however i can see it in devices and printers how can i fix this problem without losing all the information on my hard drive?...
  10. Install system image on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install system image on new hard drive: My hard drive was failing so I decided to create a system image to use on new hard drive. Every thing went well until I tried to load system image on new hard drive. Error message informed me that Win 10 uses UEFI, but my Win 7 used MBR. I upgraded my system from 7 to 10...