Windows 10: System Image oddity

Discus and support System Image oddity in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Prior to build of this PC, E: partition 00 (formerly C:) on this conventional platter ran Windows 10 on an old PC, but has been reformatted and now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by borgus, Dec 22, 2018.

1. borgus Win User

System Image oddity

Prior to build of this PC, E: partition 00 (formerly CSystem Image oddity :) on this conventional platter ran Windows 10 on an old PC, but has been reformatted and now houses only Windows back-up files and a few others on a new PC.

D: partition 01, then and now, contains data only.

When creating a Windows System Image choosing either drive D: or E: as the target prompts that "the system is on the same physical disk." That's obviously not the case. The Win10 O/S is on the OS-1TB-SSD.

Is this because the system sees E: as a Primary Partition? And if so, why? Will writing System Image to that drive, ignoring the prompt, cause problems with restoration? Thanks.

:)

borgus, Dec 22, 2018
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

System Image oddity [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Dec 22, 2018
  3. System Image Problem

I'm getting a head start in case you get on early.

Can you post camera pics to your thread from your phone?

There will be steps later that require attention to detail and I'd feel better if I could see what's on your screen. I had to try the steps more than once when I tested the process and I'd like to avoid that on your machine.

Here's what I'd like to do for the Macrium Rescue steps later on in the process
    I'll post the the step, you'll post an picture of the Macrium screen,
    I'll echo same screen back if I see something that needs changing or I'll just say Go Ahead

When I confirm that the Macrium screen, you'll make any changes I've highlighted and THEN execute the step

Here's where you begin today's session, we'll get as far as we get and then pick up when you get back home.

Step 1: Safeguard the System Image by moving it to a new folder

1. Connect the Seagate exp drive

2. File Explorer: Navigate to the Seagate drive

3. Create a new Folder named 1_sysImage

4. Move WindowsImageBackup to 1_sysImage

Step 2: List the VHDs in the System Image

1. File Explorer: Navigate to 1_sysImage\WindowsImageBackup\machineName\Backup date-time

2. Press the Type column to sort by Type

3. Post a screen shot

Slartybart, Dec 22, 2018
  4. System Image oddity

System Image Problem

[table][tr][td]Version[/td] [td]Date[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.05[/td] [td]8/03/2009[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.08[/td] [td]7/21/2009[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

System Image oddity

1. System Image oddity - Similar Threads - System Image oddity

2. Network oddities

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network oddities: I hope you can help, I've been trying to figure this out and i'm scratching my head.We get intermittent connectivity issues with the client PCs connecting to the server i.e. randomly they will lose the connection to the network drives.In the DHCP settings it was originally...
  3. Network oddities

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network oddities: I hope you can help, I've been trying to figure this out and i'm scratching my head.We get intermittent connectivity issues with the client PCs connecting to the server i.e. randomly they will lose the connection to the network drives.In the DHCP settings it was originally...
  4. System Image oddities

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image oddities: Prior to building this PC, its E: partition 00 (formerly C:) on a conventional platter ran Windows 10 on an old PC, but has been reformatted and now houses only Windows back-up files and a few others on a new PC. The D: partition 01, then and now, also contains only data....
  5. Printing oddity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Printing oddity: I use standard "Mail" and print via wifi - normally with no problems. (Epson WF - 2510)I have one particular email which will not print from my laptop. There is no error message on the laptop or the printer. All other emails print ok That same email can be printed from my...
  6. Keyboard oddities

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard oddities: On a Toshiba laptop, 3 years old, running w10 since it's release, I recently received another update after the big one which reactivates Cortana without asking. After one of those two it appears I have keyboard issues. Both the built-in and an external keyboard work fine for...
  7. Bios Oddity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bios Oddity: Just built a computer and when I boot it up it takes me to the splash screen which says press del to enter bios ect. Im using a wireless usb keyboard and when I press it and the speaker makes a typing noise but nothing happens?? How can I get it to actually enter bios because...
  8. Notification/system tray oddity Win10 1709

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification/system tray oddity Win10 1709: Not sure when it happened, but on SWMBO's laptop (identical to mine), if we click on the two small chevrons (>>) in the 'sys tray' (call me old-fashioned) it opens to show the entire contents of the desktop - all files/folders etc. This first came to light when the boss...
  9. Chkdsk oddity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Chkdsk oddity: By chance checked diskpart commands on PS and found warnings regarding both USB drives (one a micro-SD). Code: PS C:\windows\system32> Get-Volume DriveLetter FileSystemLabel FileSystem DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining Size -----------...
  10. System Tray notification area oddity

in Windows 10 Support
    System Tray notification area oddity: I've looked all over for an answer to this and I can't find it. Am I patient zero? If I have one icon showing in the notification area it appears just fine. If I turn in another icon to show on the notification area the new one shows and the fist one turns into a blank area....