Windows 10: System Image Recovery using NAS

Discus and support System Image Recovery using NAS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Win 10 v1803 Recovery Environment Dell 7720 and 7710 WD MyCloud EX2 NAS I have been working on restoring a system image from a network attached... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Garrett Stair, Oct 4, 2018.

1. System Image Recovery using NAS

Win 10 v1803 Recovery Environment
    Dell 7720 and 7710
    WD MyCloud EX2 NAS

I have been working on restoring a system image from a network attached storage device. For the average user, it's okay (and probably recommended) to restore the image from an external hard drive. Unfortunately, for our end user, USB is taboo. I ran into an issue with the Win 10 1803 Recovery Environment that prevents restoring the system image from a network drive. When I used the recovery environment and followed the prompts to restore from a network location, the error, "A device attached to this system is not functioning (0x8007001f)" occurred. I was able to restore the image from the command line without issue, so I knew the network drivers were installed and the the computer was being assigned an IP address on the network. Unfortunately, running commands from the command line is also not an option for the end user.

It turns out, the issue is actually with the recovery environment. Rolling back to Win10 1607, I was able to successfully restore the image from the NAS without any command line interfacing. It appears that this issue persists from v1703 to present (v1803).

For anyone experiencing a similar issue, here's what I did:

Downloaded v1607 ISO from here: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
    Type: Windows (Final)
    Version: Windows 10, Version 1607 - Redstone 1
    Edition: Windows 10 Pro + Home

Used the latest version of rufus to generate a UEFI Bootable flash drive of the v1607 RE.

Note, if the image was created in UEFI the disk has to be UEFI bootable. If you boot in the wrong format, you'll be able to access the NAS, but you'll get an error when you do the recovery.

Not a bug, but useful to note: after I was able to access the NAS, I was unable to login because I was on a different domain. Windows threw the error, "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated (0x80070520)". All I had to do was specify the domain and username like this: "\localhost\admin".

TL;DR: Current Win RE can't recover from NAS; I found a work around until this can be fixed; and I would like to see a fix in future builds.

Hope this helps anyone struggling with a similar issue,

Garrett

:)

Garrett Stair, Oct 4, 2018

2. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Oct 4, 2018
  3. Chester62 Win User
    System Image Recovery Hangs

I discovered that if I wait until the step "Advanced Options" to connect the external drive containing the System Image, and then click on "System Image Recovery", the recovery proceeds normally.

If I connect the external drive before starting the recovery process, that is, before clicking on "Shift" and "Restart", the system hangs when I get to the "System Image Recovery" step.

Chester62, Oct 4, 2018
  4. System Image Recovery using NAS

Unable to use repair disk and system image recovery as it will not work

Hello,

Your question does not contain all the required information needed for us to help you. I suggest you to provide more details regarding the issue you’re facing.

Please provide us more information help you better:

• What is the exact issue that you are facing?

• Did you receive any error message or error code?

• What is the error that you receive while performing system image recovery through repair disk?

• What all troubleshooting steps have you done?

Reply with necessary information to help you better.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

System Image Recovery using NAS

1. System Image Recovery using NAS - Similar Threads - System Image Recovery

2. System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image Recovery: Hi, I recently downloaded a windows version known as gohstspectre and it works great! Except for one thing, I use system images alot and need to use them quite frequently, with my slim version of windows it does not have the option to reset to a system image from the...
  3. System image recovery

System image recovery: I'm about to get a new computer and I was wondering: Since I procured my Windows 10 via the free upgrade, will I need to buy a retail version of Windows 10 after I make a system image recovery?...
  4. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: What does it do and how do I used ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-recovery/67abca7a-9aa8-4309-bfc3-9fc7cf299d02
  5. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: Can I use a SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY to transfer my files to anew PC trough an external drive? If on my existing pc i have 2 disks C: and D: and the new one will also have 2 disks will the system install the image on the new PC like they were on the old PC? C: to C: amd D:ti...
  6. system image recovery

system image recovery: I can't long into my Desktop-HTLT8V4 it needs recovery key and the sign I got was - to retrieve this key , go tohttp://windows.microsoft.com/recoverykeyfaq from another PC or mobile device .in case you need it the key ID is D48B8C0E...
  7. System image recovery

System image recovery: I had backed up a system image on March 2, put an old Windows 7 one I had on my Netbook before it broke (my desktop was originally a Windows 7 btw). On March 30, I tried to restore the system image I saved earlier in the month, but I ended up getting a system image I saved...
  8. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: Hey guys, OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 System Model HP ProBook 4540s System Type x64-based PC Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) I have made it a habit to...
  9. restore system image saved on NAS

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    restore system image saved on NAS: Hi, I'm not an advanced user but need to restore a system image I've saved on my NAS. I think the problem I'm having is when I get to the stage of restoring the system image, I need install lan drivers. I can't figure this out though. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any...
  10. System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Recovery: Hi All, I'm switching to SSD and I created a system image on the drive already. I tried going to system image recovery to boot using it, however when I click it, the screen goes blank. I'm pretty sure it's not a time thing, I gave it 8 hours. I'm pretty sure this is my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. System Image Recovery using NAS