Windows 10: System Image Recovery

Discus and support System Image Recovery in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi All, I'm switching to SSD and I created a system image on the drive already. I tried going to system image recovery to boot using it, however... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by KevNews, Feb 4, 2017.

1. KevNews Win User

System Image Recovery

Hi All,

I'm switching to SSD and I created a system image on the drive already. I tried going to system image recovery to boot using it, however when I click it, the screen goes blank. I'm pretty sure it's not a time thing, I gave it 8 hours. I'm pretty sure this is my next step, so I'm stuck.

Thanks!

Kevin

:)

KevNews, Feb 4, 2017
  2. KevNews Win User

System Image Recovery

It goes blank. Yes, I used "create system image" in the control panel to save it.

KevNews, Feb 4, 2017
  3. System Image Recovery

Windows Imaging doesn't always cooperate when restoring to another drive.

You can reinstall the source HD to capture the image externally using
    Macrium Reflect is a Free and Easy To Use Backup Utility
    which will allow choosing any partitions to restore and then placing them wherever you want them on any other drive.

You can also do a
    Clean Install Windows 10
    which compiles the best install one can have which will stay that way as long as you stick with the steps, tools and methods given. This is a much better install than a factory install or Upgrade.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 4, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

System Image Recovery

What did you use to make the system image with and what storage device did you save it to?

NavyLCDR, Feb 4, 2017
  5. KevNews Win User
    I used Windows "create system image", and I saved it to an external ssd.

KevNews, Feb 4, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    So you have two SSDs? One external you are saving the image to and one internal that you are trying to move the OS to?

I recommend you use Macrium Reflect Free to create images and/or clone the OS to a new SSD:
    Macrium Reflect Free

Whether using built-in Windows imaging or Macrium Reflect, making the image does not create the rescue drive needed to recovery it. The rescue/recovery drive must be created separately.

NavyLCDR, Feb 4, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Macrium Reflect is by all accounts the better option, but I am more familiar with Windows own 'make a system image'. While it does offer to make a rescue drive at the end of making a system image, it can only make a CD. You can make a recovery drive on a USB with the separate Recovery Media Creator - go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery and click 'create a recovery drive'.

You can (and I do) restore a system image without a recovery drive by booting to Advanced start-up, it's in Settings>Update & Security>Recovery. When it boots click 'Troubleshoot', then 'Advanced options' and then 'System Image Recovery'. It should then reboot and say 'Preparing System Image Recovery'. You then have to choose an account and give a password. It will then search for available images. Booting from a recovery drive it's more straight forward, there are less options to choose to get to 'System Image Recovery', it won't need a reboot or ask for an account or password.

I suspect that you are trying to use the first method, the Advanced start-up, and for some reason it is failing at the reboot step. I have no such problems but then I use external HDDs to hold my system images. Try making a recovery drive on a USB and booting from that.

I'm confused by this bit. Do you mean this image on the same SSD as you wish to restore it to? How many partitions do you have? The system image cannot be restored to the partition that holds it. It need to be in a second partition separate from the one which you are going to overwrite with the restored image, preferably the image should be restored from an external USB drive.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Image Recovery

1. System Image Recovery - Similar Threads - System Image Recovery

2. System image recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image recovery: I had backed up a system image on March 2, put an old Windows 7 one I had on my Netbook before it broke (my desktop was originally a Windows 7 btw). On March 30, I tried to restore the system image I saved earlier in the month, but I ended up getting a system image I saved...
  3. System Recovery "The system image is on a hard disk...."

System Recovery "The system image is on a hard disk....": Hi, I have a laptop with a SSD. I made two logical partition C and D on a SSD, so I installed Win 10 on the C logical disk and made a backup image on the D logical disk. In win 7, I can restore my back-up image on another logical disk, but I tried to recover in Win 10. I...
  4. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: Hey guys, OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 System Model HP ProBook 4540s System Type x64-based PC Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) I have made it a habit to...
  5. System Image recovery error

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image recovery error: Hi all, I am trying to do a system image recovery on my windows 10. windows identify my system image back up but it asks me to windows installation disc or a system repair disc. (which I dont have) When I try to create a system repair disc it gives following error message...
  6. Configuring System Image on Recovery Partition

Configuring System Image on Recovery Partition: Hello - I have just done a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro to my reasonably old hardware. I am running a boot loader called Clover which emulates EFI and Windows 10 has therefore been installed to a GPT disk. I manually configured the partitions according to this:...
  7. System image or recovery flash drive?

System image or recovery flash drive?: Of the above which is the better solution to backup or do I need both? Also, I have a desktop and a laptop both running Windows 10 fall creator version. I have created a recovery flash drive with system files included for the desktop. Will that one also work for the laptop?...
  8. System Image Recovery Troubleshooting

System Image Recovery Troubleshooting: Hi all. I am unable to recover system images saved on an external HD in Windows 10. I have 2 different images and neither can be located in the recovery process. I've tried locating the image files on two different computers, through both Win10's Recovery tool and Win7's...
  9. System Image Recovery option missing

System Image Recovery option missing: Hi guys, Forgive me if I posted in the wrong section. My problem started when I try to perform a windows creator upgrade. After the upgrading process, I ran "winver" but it shows my current version as "1607 Build 14393.447". So I try to restore using my backup image but...
  10. windows 10 system image recovery

windows 10 system image recovery: when I want to use the win10 system image recovery that Ihad made... i have this problem.... after going to setting...,going to restore...,going to advance... and the going to use.. use a system image recovery, the computer goes to the page that i have to select the...