Windows 10: System image restore failed, BIOS/UEFI

Discus and support System image restore failed, BIOS/UEFI in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm trying to restore my system to its previous state with a system image that I created in Windows 10. The system image is on an external hard drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by graysh, Feb 17, 2017.

1. graysh Win User

System image restore failed, BIOS/UEFI

I'm trying to restore my system to its previous state with a system image that I created in Windows 10. The system image is on an external hard drive. When I boot into my Windows installation flash drive, which I used to install the operating system, I get an error. It says, "The system image restore failed. Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS and this computer is using EFI."

I don't know anything about BIOS/UEFI. From what I read, the problem is that my OS was installed to boot through my UEFI firmware's legacy BIOS mode whereas my installation flash drive is booting through my UEFI firmware's modern non-BIOS mode (native UEFI, I think it's called?). But I guess for some reason installation media don't like to mess with an existing OS unless the installation media is booted through the same mode as the OS. If this is right, then I guess I need to force the installation flash drive to boot through the legacy BIOS mode, but I don't know how to do that.

The machine is an Asus X550L laptop with AMI Aptio Version 2.15.1236 UEFI firmware.

:)

graysh, Feb 17, 2017

2. System repair disk won't boot under UEFI

Hello,

I have installed Windows 10 on my PC in UEFI mode.

To be able to restore the system image if needed, I have created a System Repair Disk.

When I wanted to use this disk to perform a restore, I got the message:

"Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using EFI and the computer is using BIOS."

So, apparently, my DVD drive was booted in legacy mode.

When I switched in the BIOS to UEFI only, indeed the DVD drive is not visible anymore as device I can boot from.

My question is now how I can create a System Repair Disk for use in UEFI mode.

Thanks in advance.

JanWijnstra, Feb 17, 2017
  3. Keiro Win User
    KB3197954, KB3199986 Fail to Install With Repeated Attempts

Happy New Year!

Thank you for helping me with this problem. I tried to recover the system image onto a new hard drive. It failed to restore the system image to this new drive. There was a problem with the size or drive partition. I will do a fresh install and give
    up restoring my backup image. Hopefully everything will be fine.

I think that all these problems were mostly caused by my motherboard, MSI 990FXA, the UEFI and legacy or BIOS system firmware. Back then, my system was win7 and it was upgraded to win10. I don't remember it was UEFI or BIOS. The problem multiplies
    when more than one OS are installed in the same computer. In my case, I tried to have three different OS on three different drives in the same computer. Win10, Win7pro, and Mint Linux.

Thanks again.

Keiro, Feb 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Does your boot menu look something like this?

System image restore failed, BIOS/UEFI [​IMG]

UEFI: Sandisk will boot my Sandisk USB flash drive in UEFI mode

Sandisk will boot it in legacy BIOS mode

NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2017
  5. graysh Win User
    I didn't realize there could/should be a non-UEFI boot option for the flash drive. There wasn't one before. I was able to get it to come up by restoring default settings, rebooting, disabling Secure Boot, rebooting, enabling CSM, and then rebooting. For some reason, I get different boot options a lot of the time, even when I have the same devices attached and the same UEFI settings. I know the firmware needs CSM enabled to see some of the boot options, but even when it's enabled some of them aren't there sometimes. Anyways, now the system's restored. Thank you, NavyLCDR!

graysh, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System image restore failed, BIOS/UEFI - Similar Threads - System image restore

2. System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict: Please help:I was using a 1T SATA HDD as the system disk on a computer that has a 1T SS HDD.I made an image disk and tried to restore it into the SS HDD to make it the system disk, but got the following error:"The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  3. System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict: Please help:I was using a 1T SATA HDD as the system disk on a computer that has a 1T SS HDD.I made an image disk and tried to restore it into the SS HDD to make it the system disk, but got the following error:"The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  4. System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System image restore failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System image restore failed: Hi guys,I don't know if someone have problem like mine, because from what I can search, there may be almost similar issue but none of the solution works for me so if you guys have any idea, please help meContext: I am upgrading my HP laptop by adding a new SSD disk 240gb for...
  6. System image restore failed

System image restore failed: Hi guys,I don't know if someone have problem like mine, because from what I can search, there may be almost similar issue but none of the solution works for me so if you guys have any idea, please help meContext: I am upgrading my HP laptop by adding a new SSD disk 240gb for...
  7. System image fails to restore image.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System image fails to restore image.: I am trying to restore a system image on my computer but I cannot understand why it keeps failing. Previously I had no problems in restoring a system image. The following error message is displayed instead: “The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  8. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  9. System image restore fails

System image restore fails: I'm replacing the hard drive on my laptop since my original is full. 1. Using Windows' Backup and Restore, I created a system image. 2. Since I do not have a DVD drive, I created a Windows 10 install media (here) directly to a USB. 3. I boot up using the USB and attempt...
  10. System Image Restore Fail

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Restore Fail: Hi All, I had to wind my OS back to windows 7 using recovery media because a system image I created with the backup and restore tool in windows 10 failed to restore. The system image was on an external hdd but it could not be found when plugged into a USB port. I'll...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system restore failed windows 10 uefi