Windows 10: System Image

Discus and support System Image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi. I am trying to restore a system image to my laptop. I received the following error message: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by deanie44, Dec 5, 2017.

1. deanie44 Win User

System Image

Hi. I am trying to restore a system image to my laptop. I received the following error message: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information.(0x80042302). I Have restarted the VSS in Windows 10. No help. I do not know what to do. Any assistance will be helpful. *Sad

:)

deanie44, Dec 5, 2017
  2. dharge Win User

System Image failure with error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)" on Windows 10

Here's my issue in a nutshell. Had an issue with my HP Envy 17 Leap Motion. I have Windows 8.1 upgraded to 10. Made a system image disk on an external hard drive and sent the unit back to HP for repair. HP had to replace the motherboard and some other small
    issues. Got the system back and attempted to re-load the system image disk and got the following messages - "The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)"

Tried to do a recovery and got this message:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0x000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device, contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

(btw...I have installation DVD and a USB recovery drive)

Next it was suggested I reset the PC. I got this message:

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Have no clue how to do that.

I hope I've give you enough information to offer a suggestion.

Original title: System Image failure

dharge, Dec 5, 2017
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    System Image Restore Does Not Find System Image In System Image :D Drive, External Drive, Etc. Windows 10 Pro V1709 64 Bit

Hi Luis,

This might be caused by a corrupted file. Do give us an update once you're done with the disk cleanup so we can provide further assistance.

If the issue persists, if it is the system image for Windows 10, try downloading a new installation media that you can use through this
    link.

We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Anne Ros, Dec 5, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

System Image

Boot from a windows 10 installation drive and use repair pc link. You can navigate to advanced options and restore image from there. As you have no booted into full windows, VSS is not used (VSS allows you to backup from Windows)

cereberus, Dec 5, 2017
  5. deanie44 Win User
    Hi cereberus. Tried your suggestion. Did not work. Is system image being depreciated in newer builds. My build is 1709. Thank you.

deanie44, Dec 5, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Oh dear, then I do not know what to do. Regulars here advise use of Macrium Reflect (see tutotials in tutorials section). Windows tool is deprecated but still functional at moment, but FCU could be last version - nobody really knows. What is important for people to understand as it is now deprecated, MS are unlikely to maintain it anymore so if bugs arise, they will not get fixed.

Just had a thought. Maybe you could try and restore image in a second installation of Windows 10 ie temporarily create a dual boot drive, restore and then delete first copy of windows 10.

cereberus, Dec 5, 2017
  7. deanie44 Win User
    I do not understand what you mean?

deanie44, Dec 5, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

System Image

Never mind - it would take too much time to explain. It requires a bit of knoeledge to do what I suggested. It will easier for you to te reinstall.

cereberus, Dec 5, 2017
  9. deanie44 Win User
    Cereberus, thank you. I Appreciate your help. I wish you a safe and happy holidays.

deanie44, Dec 5, 2017
  10. I’ve seen at least one report of people getting same error message as you after upgrading to v1709. Here’s a link to the discussion on Microsoft TechNet:

Win10 1709 System Image Restore VSS Error

Going forward you may want to switch to a 3rd party solution. Many people in this forum recommend Macrium Reflect Free. I switched to it myself after I learned that Windows System Image Backup was being deprecated in v1709.

radiowaves, Dec 6, 2017
  11. elbmek Win User
    I have never been able to restore from system backup - ever. no idea why, because some prgrammes report doing system backup before etc etc ............... but they are never there?

elbmek, Dec 6, 2017
  12. Hi,
    I've had my share of issues with reflect and verifing system images after creating them on the fall creators update it fails every time for some reason.

I have started doing it all through the winpe or reflect recovery cd and or flash drive media.
    This youtube video helped me a lot before the other tutorial was made
    Create Backup Image with Macrium Reflect by Britec - YouTube

ThrashZone, Dec 6, 2017
  13. System Image

The bug on the windows image backup and restore is fixed on build 16299.214 and 16299.248, if you update windows 10 1709 to the February 2018 updates the backup and restore will work.
    Still you will not be able to restore backups made with build 16299.192 or earlier if you need to reformat the disk..

fg2001gf10F, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Image

1. System Image - Similar Threads - System Image

2. what does, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' error mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what does, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' error mean?: I am getting an error when trying to make a master image, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' how do I resolve this...
  3. what does, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' error mean?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    what does, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' error mean?: I am getting an error when trying to make a master image, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' how do I resolve this...
  4. what does, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' error mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  6. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  7. How do I fix System 32 Error for AdobeIPCBroker.exe-Bad image?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix System 32 Error for AdobeIPCBroker.exe-Bad image?: I'm getting system 32 errors on my windows 11 HP Pavilion laptop to do with AdobeIPCBroker.exe-Bad image. It suggests to uninstall and reinstall the program but I'm not sure what it is. Thinking it meant After Effects which I downloaded in February this problem only started 3...
  8. How do I fix System 32 Error for AdobeIPCBroker.exe-Bad image?

How do I fix System 32 Error for AdobeIPCBroker.exe-Bad image?: I'm getting system 32 errors on my windows 11 HP Pavilion laptop to do with AdobeIPCBroker.exe-Bad image. It suggests to uninstall and reinstall the program but I'm not sure what it is. Thinking it meant After Effects which I downloaded in February this problem only started 3...
  9. Trying to use System Image Recovery to switch out hdd, throws a STATUS_WAIT_3 0x80070003 error.

Trying to use System Image Recovery to switch out hdd, throws a STATUS_WAIT_3 0x80070003 error.: New drive is installed, drive containing system image is connected via usb. New drive is 1 TB. Previous drive was 2 TB.Steps I did:Boot into recovery modeTroubleshoot > Advanced > System Image Recovery > error thrownMenu opens when additional usb is inserted, but different...
  10. Trying to use System Image Recovery to switch out hdd, throws a STATUS_WAIT_3 0x80070003 error.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to use System Image Recovery to switch out hdd, throws a STATUS_WAIT_3 0x80070003 error.: New drive is installed, drive containing system image is connected via usb. New drive is 1 TB. Previous drive was 2 TB.Steps I did:Boot into recovery modeTroubleshoot > Advanced > System Image Recovery > error thrownMenu opens when additional usb is inserted, but different...