Windows 10: System Information Can't collect information

Discus and support System Information Can't collect information in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I am getting this error( photo attached below) whenever I try to open system information. someone plz help me Fixes I have tried- Reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Nirvish Dahal, Apr 12, 2019.

1. System Information Can't collect information

Hello,

I am getting this error( photo attached below) whenever I try to open system information.

someone plz help me

Fixes I have tried-

Reset WMI

Windows update

Updating drivers

Someone please help me with this issue System Information Can't collect information 7a5e8e30-cb3a-4d14-8468-469afe555792?upload=true.png

:)

Nirvish Dahal, Apr 12, 2019
  2. alljamin Win User

Remove System Volume information folder from external drive

I have currently found out that System Volume information folder on my external HDD takes around 124GB of space. Hence I decided to delete it to free up some additional space. But for now everything what I have tried did not succeeded.

IMPORTANT:

• External hard drive has 1TB capacity and was previously used for backups and creating restore images (not anymore).
    • It's connected via USB 3.0 port.
    • System protected files are displayed.
    • All operations are performed on the clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64.
    • Formatted in NTFS
    • I only have one 1TB drive so moving files to another drive will not be an option.

So, what I have tried for now:

All the instructions provided here, meaning:

1. takeown /f "F:\System Volume information" /a /r /d y
    2. icacls "F:\System Volume information" /t /c /grant administrators:F System:F everyone:F
      ("Are you sure?") y
    3. rd /s /q "F:\System Volume information"

This only helped me to delete one of the folders with a bunch of .db files in System Volume information folder. And I get Access denied as previously.

What I also thought of is to create a separate partition on this drive and move all the files there then format the partition with System Volume information and merge partitions back. This did not work quite well as creating new partition also created a System Volume information folder. And it took quite a while to do the partitioning.

I have gone though following posts:

How to delete "System Volume Information" folder from external drives?

How to delete a folder from external drives if names are too long (like System Volume Information/content...)?

Any suggestions guys?

NOTICE: I don't want to use third party software like Unlocker, Eraser or anything similar to these two. There should be a legit way to get rid of the files in Windows without third party software.

alljamin, Apr 12, 2019
  3. alljamin Win User
    Remove System Volume information folder from external drive

As I did not receive any other answers to my question and it is still open - I decided to provide my own answer.

Here is the approach what does not involve installing any third party solution. The original solution can be found here.

Here is the quick re-cap of the mentioned above solution:

1. You need to TakeOwnership over the System Volume information folder. For doing so, you need to create TakeOwnership.reg file which can also be downloaded here.
      This is what goes inside the TakeOwnership.reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*\shell\runas]
      @="Take Ownership"
      "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*\shell\runas\command]
      @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
      "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
      @="Take Ownership"
      "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
      @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
      "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    2. For the created TakeOwneship.reg file to take effect you need to run it, meaning just double-click on the newly created file.
    3. After Taking ownership (running the .reg file) you need to run following commands in command prompt (opened with Administrator privileges):
      1. Attrib -s -h -r "{drive}:\System Volume information" /S /D
      2. RD "{drive}:\System Volume information" /S

Where {drive} is the letter what your external drive has.

That all the steps what I have taken in order to be able to delete the System Volume Information folder from the external HDD. This worked fine for my machine Win 10 Pro x64 and I've got my extra 124GB.

@Scott in his comments points out for a missing explanation for a more precise description of what exactly these commands do as well as proving why this method exactly works and other methods do not work.

• Regarding to the meaning of the commands - I am not aware exactly what they do, I can only refer "primitively" that these shell commands help to take "full ownership" of this particular folder (more precise/technical description is welcome).
    • This method "works" better than others, because I was not able to find any other method what actually "work". And only following precisely these steps helped me to delete the folder in order to free up space on my external HDD.

Hope this will help others who have similar issue.

alljamin, Apr 12, 2019
  4. System Information Can't collect information

System Volume Information contains redundant historical "System Volume Information" files using 80% of my disk

Thanks for providing the additional details regarding your concern as well as the diagnostic steps that you have completed. Since the files in the system volume information folder still remain and were not removed with the steps provided, we suggest that
    you follow the steps on this
    link
    to run a disk cleanup so that the unused system files and cache can be removed from your computer.

Regards.

Jordan Dom, Apr 12, 2019
Thema:

System Information Can't collect information

1. System Information Can't collect information - Similar Threads - System Information Can't

2. Problem with System Information - Can't Collect Information

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with System Information - Can't Collect Information: Hello,Since last week I have a problem with a third-party application GlobalProtect VPN and while trying to fix it I read that the issue is most probably related to the WMI repository. I checked the state of it and it seemed fine, but when I run msinfo32 I saw that there is...
  3. Problem with System Information - Can't Collect Information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with System Information - Can't Collect Information: Hello,Since last week I have a problem with a third-party application GlobalProtect VPN and while trying to fix it I read that the issue is most probably related to the WMI repository. I checked the state of it and it seemed fine, but when I run msinfo32 I saw that there is...
  4. Problem with System Information - Can't Collect Information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System Information: "Can't Collect Information"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Information: "Can't Collect Information": I have had an issue for 2 days now where a game will not open. Crashes instantly, doesn't even show the application anywhere except the taskbar for 3 seconds. Anyways, I figured out my issue was because of something being wrong with my WMI service. I tried to test if it was...
  6. System Information: "Can't Collect Information"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Information: "Can't Collect Information": I have had an issue for 2 days now where a game will not open. Crashes instantly, doesn't even show the application anywhere except the taskbar for 3 seconds. Anyways, I figured out my issue was because of something being wrong with my WMI service. I tried to test if it was...
  7. System Information App Can't Collect Information

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Information App Can't Collect Information: Whenever I try to open the System Information app in Windows 10 21H1, it shows that it can't collect information about my PC. Why does it happen and how do I fix this?Note: I am a standard user....
  8. System Information Error "Can't Collect Information. Failed Connection to this computer....

System Information Error "Can't Collect Information. Failed Connection to this computer....: I found some solutions on here, but they did not work. After the last Windows 10 System Update, I have no administrative access. I cannot see my system information. I cannot restore my system from the last update. I cannot get into Safe Mode...and the issue seems to be...
  9. System Information not populating, System Information application Can't Collect information

System Information not populating, System Information application Can't Collect information: Hi, On my machine i'm not able to see the system information populate in Control Panel\System and Security\System it shows the processor and ram as "Not Available", along with the windows activation, product id: Not Available Refer to screenshot: [ATTACH] Also when...
  10. DMA Information is blank in System Information

in Windows 10 Support
    DMA Information is blank in System Information: I have a desktop pc with Win10 v1803 and noticed that under System Information/Hardware Resources/DMA there is nothing shown in the right pane. On my laptop also running the same version of Windows 10 has the DMA information 118548

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system information cant collect information

2. system information cant collect information windows 10

3. system information windows 10 cant collect