Windows 10: System informations not updating after swapping SSD

Discus and support System informations not updating after swapping SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have a laptop that came with a regular HDD. I decided to put an SSD in it instead and install Windows 10 on it. From there,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Magik, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Magik Win User

System informations not updating after swapping SSD

Hi everyone,

I have a laptop that came with a regular HDD. I decided to put an SSD in it instead and install Windows 10 on it. From there, everything went right. The problem is that I just bought a new desktop and I decided to put the laptop's SSD in the desktop. I had to insert a new Windows 10 key obviously because Windows didn't recognize this new system. The only problem is that when I go into the computer system informations, the model that is there is the model of the laptop. I know it's not a big problem but I was wondering if there was any refresh I could do beside resetting the computer.

I'll highlight which part I am talking about in a screenshot.

System informations not updating after swapping SSD [​IMG]

The other informations are fine, only the highlighted part is wrong.

Thanks for the help everyone and have a great day!

:)

Magik, Feb 14, 2018

2. Creating and Using an Image

Hi, All. I am on a used Toshiba laptop running Win 10 Home. I just bought a Crucial 250gb SSD. I have the USB TO SSD cable. I want to create an image of the Win 10 OS, save it on the blank SSD, and then swap the drives. The Toshiba HDD is 500gb but only
    23gb is being used. After I swap the drives, will the Crucial SSD boot? What am I missing here?

Jack

Jack in the Box 4143, Feb 14, 2018
  3. SVI1 Win User
    swapping hard drive between 2 computer

Hi all,

i have 2 laptop i running windows 10 pro - laptop 1: running the 32bit, has 960gb ssd drive - main comp, laptop 2 running windows 7 ultimate 64 bits, has 250gb ssd, want to do the swap ssd drive so that the larger ssd drive can be use in laptop2, because
    i want the use the larger ssd drive in the newer latptop (laptop 2) and also want to keep all the programs i have on there without having to go through all the installation and reconfigure everything again.i thought i could just swap the ssd drive between
    to 2 com (because laptop has better hardware and specs than laptop 1) ,

while laptop 2 startup and run fine after the swapping to the larger ssd drive but i got message saying i need to activate windows 10 pro. swapping the drives back and both laptops works fine with their own drive and windows version.

my question is if i am to also upgrade laptop 2 to windows 10 pro, can i just simply swapping the hard drive with laptop or would the system still ask me to activate windows 10 pro again???

if swapping the drive between the laptops won't work at all then what is the best method to get achieve what i want without have to copy all docs/files i need from 960gb ssd drive to an external drive then do a fresh windows installation on the 960 while
    it is in the laptop 2 then transfer the files from external drive to it a again?

please help

thanks

4. System informations not updating after swapping SSD

It should be in the registry:

1. Run regedit
    2. Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation
    3. Modify/delete the Model key.

System informations not updating after swapping SSD [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Feb 14, 2018
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Click on "Renommer Ce PC" and name it to What ever you want.

topgundcp, Feb 14, 2018
  6. Magik Win User
    No. It’s a SSD i’ve installed in it myself. And that’s the OS the laptop came in because I made a recovery drive from the original HDD on the laptop then installed it on the SSD.

Magik, Feb 14, 2018
  7. Magik Win User
    I’ll try that and let you know the result tonight but I’m pretty sure you found the right thing .

Magik, Feb 14, 2018
  8. Magik Win User

Thanks for your input but I don’t believe the name is faulty here as the name of the pc is the one where it says PC-Vino just under the model I’m talking about

Magik, Feb 14, 2018
  9. Magik Win User
    Yes. It’s a SSD that was originally installed by me in my laptop that I removed from the said laptop and installed into the desktop.

Magik, Feb 14, 2018
  10. topgundcp Win User
    PC-Vino is the Volume Label of your C-Drive. In this case, right click on C-Drive->Property and change the Label.

topgundcp, Feb 14, 2018
  11. Magik Win User
    Thanks a lot for that! Exactly what I wanted and it works like a charm! System informations not updating after swapping SSD :)

Magik, Feb 15, 2018
  12. Magik Win User
    See my last comment I you posted minutes ago. You don't seem to have that part on yours though...

Magik, Feb 15, 2018
  13. AddRAM Win User

Were you able to change the 2 items you covered up ?

Could you post a snip of your result ?

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System informations not updating after swapping SSD - Similar Threads - System informations updating

2. SSD swapping, laggy PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD swapping, laggy PC: I have recently upgraded my SSD, and suddenly everything is lagging, and the games I play are very glitchy and laggy. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-swapping-laggy-pc/cb4649b2-b9e9-465b-8d7e-6d94d7e3f54e
  3. SSD swapping, laggy PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD swapping, laggy PC: I have recently upgraded my SSD, and suddenly everything is lagging, and the games I play are very glitchy and laggy. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-swapping-laggy-pc/cb4649b2-b9e9-465b-8d7e-6d94d7e3f54e
  4. Windows won't activate after simple SSD swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows won't activate after simple SSD swap: From what I've read, moving the SSD to and back from a PC shouldn't cause any errors. However, my PC won't update to account.microsoft.com/devices at all. This is preventing me from accessing settings I need to use. This is a PC upgraded from windows 7. [ATTACH]...
  5. Swapping a HDD for an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping a HDD for an SSD: I am swapping an HDD for a Samsung SSD in an HP Pavilion Laptop, what would be the easiest way to make a clean install of windows on the SSD? I don't want to clone the drives since the HDD is extremely slow and I don't need most of the files. submitted by /u/VolphanGaming...
  6. Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap: I have a Dell Precision 3630 tower set up in RAID 1 with two 2TB HDD's. I removed both drives and installed two new 2TB Western Digital 2.5" SSD's. I insert my W10 thumb drive, it goes through the loading file process and gets to the screen where I select between 32 & 64 bit...
  7. Swapping to ssd?

Swapping to ssd?: I am currently running a system with Linux running on my m.2 nvme and Windows is running on my hdd. Is it possible to have both running on the one ssd and if so how can i move the windows installation to the ssd? submitted by /u/AyeYoItsMateo [link] [comments]...
  8. Please Help - Windows Not Booting After SSD Swap

Please Help - Windows Not Booting After SSD Swap: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/J-Peezy24 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iimldk/please_help_windows_not_booting_after_ssd_swap/
  9. Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap

Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap: I have recently purchased a SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1 TB SSD to upgrade my existing SSD C drive (250GB OCZ-AGILITY) Using Samsung Data Migration Tool I eventually cloned the new drive successfully after several failed attempts using a spare SATA lead. I then openned up the PC and...
  10. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.: Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and...