Windows 10: System instability on cold boot

Discus and support System instability on cold boot in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This issue has been happening on my new laptop. I updated my nvidia graphics and windows as soon as I got it but the issue persists. I even did a fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AinSpaceXXX, Oct 20, 2020.

1. System instability on cold boot

This issue has been happening on my new laptop. I updated my nvidia graphics and windows as soon as I got it but the issue persists. I even did a fresh reinstall of windows to no avail.

Every time I power on the PC from overnight shut off state I get random driver failures until I restart it again. It used to be that it would just BSOD within a ten minute window of powering on but now it just hangs around all buggy until I restart it myself.

Some issues I've faced after booting up are:

- Fingerprint reader not working

- bluetooth not working

- headphones not working

- wireless mouse works fine then when I unplug and reconnect it stops working

When I check device manager, there are always some of those yellow warning signs near the icons too.

It's very odd. All of these are fixed as soon as I restart the system with the exception that the restart will go on for too long and, without fail, BSOD with driver power state failure. When this ritual is complete, the system reboots and works prefectly fine under all manner of conditions. Like I said, the issue has somewhat evolved from immediate BSOD on cold boot to this.

I've disabled fast startup for now but won't be sure it's worked until the next time I power on the computer from a prolonged shut off state, so tomorrow morning. I've read that this might occur when there are issues waking certain drivers from sleep so I'll consider changing the PCI express and wireless adapter power options but as it stands, everytime I change my power plan to balanced it reverts itself to high performance as soon as I unplug and reconnect the charging cable. That's a separate issue though.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the insability?

submitted by /u/AinSpaceXXX
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AinSpaceXXX, Oct 20, 2020
  2. ElderJohn Win User

BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly after cold boot/sleep

For the past month I have been getting random BSOD's all with driver power state failure. They happen randomly, usually within the first 5-10 minutes of cold booting or waking my computer. Steps I have taken to attempt to fix the problem:
    1. Reinstalled GPU drivers/ tried old drivers
    2. Fresh installed Windows 1803, still happened, then fresh installed 1709
    3. Disabled Fast Boot
    None of these things fixed the issue, any help would be much appreciated at pinpointing the issue. Thanks

ElderJohn, Oct 20, 2020
  3. kyle2020 Win User
    Cold boot issue, very frustrating!

its from a 100% cold boot. Ill try the overclock thing, and also run some memtest tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I do appreciate it. That USB one seems strange but ill try it! *Toast :toast:

kyle2020, Oct 20, 2020
  4. billybob Win User

System instability on cold boot

9700 Pro cold boot syndrome

I have a powercolor 9700 pro that has the cold boot syndrome (fails post on cold boot, reset machine and everthing works fine). Does anyone know if flashing to the latest vid bios will remedy that? The card has been tried in D865PERL, Soyo P4S, ASUS P4S800D-X, Soyo Dragon Ultra (Platinum), and now an ECS NForce3-A. *Mad System instability on cold boot :mad: All mobos exhibit the same problem. On some other forums, people have claimed that changing memory timings has helped. Any suggestions?

billybob, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

System instability on cold boot

1. System instability on cold boot - Similar Threads - System instability cold

2. Windows 11, 2H22 System Instability

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, 2H22 System Instability: Hello,Its been 4-6 months since i bought my new laptop which is Asus tuf f15 I5-10th genSpecifications :8 GB RAMIntel I5-10300H @ 2.5 GHzWindows 11 Supported preinstalledNvidia GTX 1650512 GB SSD64 Bit ArchitectureMy agony started when i recently updated it to Windows 11,...
  3. System crashes and Instability with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System crashes and Instability with Windows 10: My system crashes i thnk randomly after i changed something in the bios regarding RAM Clock and CPU Virtualiziation. After setting it back to it's defaults the crashes are still there eventhough i didn't have problems before.I also started to get BSOD's...
  4. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  5. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  6. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. BSOD on cold boot.

BSOD on cold boot.: I have been getting a variety of BSOD's on cold boots. After the first BSOD, everything runs smoothly thereafter; any amount of stress on the PC doesn't cause any BSOD. Things I have tried: Updated bios and all the motherboard related whatnot. Tried to update all my...
  8. BSOD at every cold boot

BSOD at every cold boot: Hello everyone, having BSOD at every cold boot. This is happening on my desktop (first build I made), hardware is: MB: Asus Maximus VIII Gene CPU: Intel i5-6600k RAM: 2x 8GB Crucial Ballistix GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition Windows 10 Pro 64bit Hoping this is...
  9. BSOD on only cold boots

BSOD on only cold boots: I got a custom built pc for christmas and it has been getting BSOD's since it was built and they have only been happening on cold boots, and the file that is having problems is ntoskrnl. I would love if someone could find the problem that has been going on for weeks. 39014
  10. Cold boot issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cold boot issues: Hello, i have this issue on one PC that I've installed windows 10 and it doesn't boot properly. It goes to the windows logo part then it hangs for a bit before shutting itself down , then i need to power it on again and it will boot after a while. It also creates massive...