Windows 10: System keeps freezing after clean windows install on a brand new SSD

Discus and support System keeps freezing after clean windows install on a brand new SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, tl:dr Windows keeps freezing after I installed new SSD. I'm not able to determine what is causing the problem. I'm unable to update my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Anon7mous, May 24, 2019.

1. Anon7mous Win User

System keeps freezing after clean windows install on a brand new SSD

Hi everyone,

tl:dr
    Windows keeps freezing after I installed new SSD. I'm not able to determine what is causing the problem. I'm unable to update my SATA drivers.

Components in question
    My motherboard: 970A-UD3P Rev 1.
    SSD in quesiton: Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD1(Z) 500GB

Problem
    Windows freezes mostly when opening new programs or chrome tabs. I'm not able to do anything but move my mouse and if I click a few times eventually I get a "not responding" message. This happens a few times per hour and lasts for about 30-60 seconds. It never happens if I'm playing a game or a watching a movie without minimizing.
    According to task manager the disk usage jumps to 100%
    I still have my old windows installation on my HDD and when I boot from there, this problem doesn't occur.

What I have tried
    Mostly a few simple things I found online
    -Change power option (AHCI) to active
    -Updated my drivers as much as I could. One thing I could not update is my SATA driver for my motherboard. I saw that I'm using the default windows driver and I'm not able to find one from gigabyte support site because the newest one is for windows 8.

I'm loving my new SSD but the constant freezing is driving me mad. Can I do some sort of diagnostics to determine what is causing the problem? Could it be something with cables or drivers? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance guys!

:)

Anon7mous, May 24, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, May 24, 2019
  3. SSD stops and freezes laptop

Couple of updates:

1. I created a Linux boot USB key, and monitored my SSD under Linux, so this is evidently not a Windows issue, and
    2. I loaded new firmware for the SSD, and my system seems to be functioning normally now. What a pleasure using a PC that doesn't consistently freeze up.

Thanks to all y'all for your suggestions!

Regards,

Dave

DavidMiller36415, May 24, 2019
  4. System keeps freezing after clean windows install on a brand new SSD

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 24, 2019
Thema:

System keeps freezing after clean windows install on a brand new SSD

1. System keeps freezing after clean windows install on a brand new SSD - Similar Threads - System keeps freezing

2. Windows 10 keep freezing even after clean installation,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 keep freezing even after clean installation,: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad E560 laptop with an Intel Core i7-6500 processor and 16GB of RAM. All I remember is that I attempted to install an AMD graphics driver along with an update. Following this, the laptop suddenly froze and now consistently freezes at the Windows logo...
  3. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over 500 gigs of worth, I don't want to re-download them again on slow internet connection it will be...
  4. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  5. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  6. Clean install to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install to new SSD: I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am just looking for a fresh new install on the new SSD so I can remove the old HDD. Any and all help is greatly appreciated....
  7. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  8. Brand new PC build keeps freezing?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brand new PC build keeps freezing?: Hi, I recently upgraded my PC and installed the latest version of Windows 10. However, I've been experiencing issues where the PC will occasionally freeze temporarily and the CPU speed will spike to 4.7 GHz. I'm just on my Desktop with a couple of programs open, usually Task...
  9. Brand new clean windows 10 install - BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brand new clean windows 10 install - BSOD: I have run the tool and am attaching the file per the instructions. My computer is brand new and crashed while I was not even at my desk. I had nothing really "active" running. Hoping you guys can help me pinpoint what driver might be causing this. Thank you so much in...
  10. Clean install on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...