Windows 10: System lock ups randomly.

Discus and support System lock ups randomly. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok, I have done everything I know how to do and am completely at a loss now. My pc consist of the following parts: CPU:6700k GPU: EVGA 980 TI SC.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rinji07, Nov 27, 2016.

1. rinji07 Win User

System lock ups randomly.

Ok, I have done everything I know how to do and am completely at a loss now. My pc consist of the following parts:

CPU:6700k
    GPU: EVGA 980 TI SC.
    MB Asus Z170PRO
    RAM 16gb DDR4
    SSD/HDD: Samsung 840 Pro 512 - WD Black Edition 2TB.

Temps on the pc are amazing they idle around 20-25 and load is about 39-44 on cpu and gpu is around 29-33 Idle and load about 60-70c. I have run SFC Scans I have reinstalled I have run mem test and am clueless on what else to do...Sometimes it will go all week without locking up and others its 2-3x in a day all the parts was bought earlier this year and assembled. The system is NOT over clocked.

I will be playing a game and I will sometimes hear a short quick static sound like ssszzht and bam entire system frozen. I have to hard shut down to get it to come back. I have checked the SSD and HDD health both showing 100% and strong running. I have checked for any driver updates and I am fully up2date. Any ideas?

Could this be from a USB hub maybe? I just thought of this idk if it is possible or not, Normally I can track down just about any problem but when I pull the event viewer or reliability log up it just simply says Windows has shut down unexpectedly... This due to I have to hard shut down cause it locked up.

:)

rinji07, Nov 27, 2016
  2. theinob Win User

Entire System Locks Up Randomly/Intermittently

After doing further testing on my own I am almost completely convinced that the issue has arisen from a bad PCI-e slot on my motherboard. Thank you for your assistance.

theinob, Nov 27, 2016
  3. theinob Win User
    Entire System Locks Up Randomly/Intermittently

Thank you for such fast replies. I have done this and was told that "No changes or updates were necessary" by the troubleshooter.

theinob, Nov 27, 2016
  4. rinji07 Win User

I have also run the PC diagnostics tool from Asus for my board and everything has passed.

rinji07, Nov 27, 2016
  5. cedroid09 Win User
    Do you have another power supply at hand? Try replacing it and see if there are any improvements.

cedroid09, Nov 27, 2016
  6. rinji07 Win User
    Yes I have tried another PSU, Results are the same. The lock ups are not consistent. Sometimes itll be 3 weeks without one and other times itll be 2x a day.

rinji07, Nov 27, 2016
  7. rinji07 Win User
    I cant help but wonder if maybe my USB hub isnt having something to do with it, I have a usb extension 3.0 cord in a 3.1 slot and attached to a 4 port hub. One of the things might be lose inside cause I can wiggle it and hear it DC the hardware I wonder if I am not shorting something out somehow, sitting here at work atm and thought of it.

rinji07, Nov 27, 2016
  8. cedroid09 Win User

Try disconnecting it and let it lose for some time and see if it solves the problem. You hear a static sound each time it locks up?

cedroid09, Nov 27, 2016
  9. rinji07 Win User
    Every single time from my headphones but they are also plugged into the USB hub along with my mouse and keyboard. sometimes my phone or a flash drive, and the hub is plugged into an extension which is plugged into a 3.1 slot and allows extra power to be given I will have to test this theory and report back I have tried everything I can think of except for that.

rinji07, Nov 27, 2016
  10. cedroid09 Win User
    I am pretty sure the sound you hear through your headphones are caused by Windows freezing, nothing to worry about. I recommend that you check and update your drivers as well.

cedroid09, Nov 27, 2016
  11. rinji07 Win User
    I have checked about 30x no joke. everything is up2date.

rinji07, Nov 27, 2016
  12. cedroid09 Win User
    Ok, try the USB hub and let us know *Smile

cedroid09, Nov 27, 2016
  13. System lock ups randomly.

Just posted in another thread for a possible solution. Check HDD settings. In Windows 10 by default HDD is set to turn off after 20 minutes. Change to never.

XxCptAMannxX, Nov 27, 2016
  14. rinji07 Win User
    Yea, it is set to high performance, I made sure bios was up2date and nvidias latest driver was installed that came out today. so far it hasn't locked up and it only seemingly does it while im in a particular game. But can one game cause systematic wide lock ups like that? I also moved the cord from a 3.1 SS boosted usb port to a normal 3.0 port.

Also changed out mouse.

rinji07, Nov 27, 2016
  15. rinji07 Win User
    Tracked the problem down, It was my 3.1 port allowing power fluctuations inadvertently and randomly to my cord and hub. Changed the slot and aint had a single lock up since.

rinji07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System lock ups randomly. - Similar Threads - System lock ups

2. windows 10 locking up randomly

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows 10 locking up randomly: soo everytime i run my laptop after a serveal minuites the windows turn in sleep mode surprisingly and also this happens randomly and i don't know why and i literally didn't have any solution for this problem but i don't know exactly if the laptop sleeps or locks up cause...
  3. Windows 10 randomly locks up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 randomly locks up: Hi, I have a Windows 10 problem. My PC is randomly locking up. Sometimes while using and sometimes while I am away. I have to power cycle to get it back. There is no responses to mouse or keyboard. I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue, and only have the event...
  4. Random Freezing/Lock-up

Random Freezing/Lock-up: Hello. First time post, but I've run out of options that aren't wiping my computer and fresh installing. A few days ago, I finally upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I'm mostly glad I did, but since then, I've been experiencing random freezes in which both screen and...
  5. System Lock Ups

System Lock Ups: Been trying to troubleshoot this for a while now. Occasional system lock ups, happens mostly when gaming, but has also happened while web browsing. Complete freeze, have to hard reset (no alt-f4, no task manager,etc). Things I have tried: Have run multiple memtest86+...
  6. PC locks up randomly (No BSOD)

PC locks up randomly (No BSOD): Not sure if my title is too vague, but here is my issue. Recently built a new PC, running Win 10 pro. Had issue with graphics card and removed to RMA it. Got new CPU to utilize integrated graphics ports. Every once in a while (about once or twice a week) PC will lock-up,...
  7. PC Randomly locks up and freezes

PC Randomly locks up and freezes: Hey guys, first off I hope you all had a great Xmas and New Year... So since the update for windows that's recently dropped, I keep having random crashes, well more of a freeze, I can still see everything on the screen but nothing will respond I have to power my system...
  8. Multiple Random System Lock-Ups requiring Hard-Reset

Multiple Random System Lock-Ups requiring Hard-Reset: Hello, I'm new to the forums so thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to help me try and resolve my issues. I recently built the PC I am currently experiencing this issue on. I have built several gaming PC's in the past, but never have I experienced any...
  9. Multiple Random System Lock-Ups requiring Hard-Reset

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Multiple Random System Lock-Ups requiring Hard-Reset: Hello, I'm new to the forums so thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to help me try and resolve my issues. I recently built the PC I am currently experiencing this issue on. I have built several gaming PC's in the past, but never have I experienced any...
  10. Total system lock up

in Windows 10 Support
    Total system lock up: Hello all, I have a custom built PC that seems to have quite a unique issue. (Or so google thinks) I am unable to load anything other than the bios. When i attempt to boot into windows the computer locks up. When i attempt to choose the repair computer in boot options...