Windows 10: System logs event id 98 volume recovery every second "No action required"

Discus and support System logs event id 98 volume recovery every second "No action required" in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; An example: Logboeknaam: System Bron: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs Datum: 20-02-08 20:30:56 Gebeurtenis-id:98 Taakcategorie: Geen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Victor_50, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Victor_50 Win User

System logs event id 98 volume recovery every second "No action required"

An example:

Logboeknaam: System
    Bron: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs
    Datum: 20-02-08 20:30:56
    Gebeurtenis-id:98
    Taakcategorie: Geen
    Niveau: Informatie
    Trefwoorden: 2
    Gebruiker: n.v.t.
    Computer: xxxxxx
    Beschrijving:
    Volume Recovery \Device\HarddiskVolume2 is in orde. U hoeft geen actie te ondernemen.

Is going on for two days now maybe longer.

Don't like it

Disclaimer: please don't be longwinded and do not repeat my question. Simply answer my question if you can.

:)

Victor_50, Feb 10, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

computer failed to boot - disk error event id 153 + 98

Hi, suggest you try Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) - gives a great quick analysis (SSDs too).

Please post the results.

Event ID 153:
    This event may be an indication that the specified drive may be failing soon. This is especially true if the event is recorded regularly. The first step is to run the maintenance utilities related to hard drives, starting with CHKDSK and the utilities available from the manufacturer for that specific brand.

Event ID 98:
    Event ID: 98

dalchina, Feb 10, 2020
  3. -KELLY- Win User
    About error of Event ID 98

I have workstation which is installed on Windows 10 version 1607. I just found out there is <!> mark on C drive in Devices and drives windows. When I take a look at event log, there are event ID 98 error in application event logs in past two months.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Event ID : 98

Source : Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)

Level : Error

Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume2) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the cause of this error was I mistakenly pull out the electric cable from the workstation, and baterry was dead, so the workstation is forcebly shut down. I canceled check disk running when I powered on the workstation after that.

C drive is OS installation drive, and it is SSD.

I don't feel good on Running Check Disk because it sometimes break the system by forcibly changing some configuration for their "Repair" action in my past experience. Is there any other good way how to deal with the error?

Any advice will be gratefully appreciate it. Thank you.

-KELLY-, Feb 10, 2020
  4. benoitvm Win User

Event 98 - but where is '\Device\HarddiskVolume11'

I am getting several unexpected 'Restart to repair drive errors'.

In the Windows Log, I can see corresponding Event 98 ('Volume Recovery (\Device\HarddiskVolume11) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk.')

The errors occur while working with a Local Account ('user' privileges), and there is a SUBSTituted drive used; however, the drive containing the subst'ed directory is perfectly sane (chkdsk = no errors); same for all drives on the PC.

The catch is, when I run diskpart / list volumes, there is nothing listed as Volume 11 on this system ! WTH ????

Where is this volume 11 ????

benoitvm, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

1. System logs event id 98 volume recovery every second "No action required" - Similar Threads - System logs event

2. Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125. What's It Mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125. What's It Mean?: My computer shut off waking from Sleep. This is what I saw in event viewer after restarting the pc again. What does it mean and how can I fix this problem if possible?Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125ACPI thermal zone \_TZ.TZ10 has been enumerated. _PSV =...
  3. Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125. What's It Mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125. What's It Mean?: My computer shut off waking from Sleep. This is what I saw in event viewer after restarting the pc again. What does it mean and how can I fix this problem if possible?Event Viewer, System Log. Event ID 125ACPI thermal zone \_TZ.TZ10 has been enumerated. _PSV =...
  4. Error ID 98

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error ID 98: Hi, lately my pc has been acting up, specifacally freezing at random times maybe 15-20 minutes after i start up my computer, It doesnt unfreeze and i have to hard restart by using the button in my pc. I've had a look in the Event viewer and found this : Volume C:...
  5. Error ID 98

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error ID 98: Hi, lately my pc has been acting up, specifacally freezing at random times maybe 15-20 minutes after i start up my computer, It doesnt unfreeze and i have to hard restart by using the button in my pc. I've had a look in the Event viewer and found this : Volume C:...
  6. Error ID 98

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. VSS / NFTS Event ID 98 causing massive lag spikes every 20 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    VSS / NFTS Event ID 98 causing massive lag spikes every 20 minutes: Hello all. I'm running Windows 10 Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043, and I've been hitting some massive lag spikes. They're most notable when playing games, such as Cyberpunk 2077. These lag spikes can be upwards of 1 full second, and I believe they were causing my last...
  8. xbox beta app creating system logs every 10 secs. Event ID 10016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xbox beta app creating system logs every 10 secs. Event ID 10016: Hi, I noticed while looking at the event log that my xbox beta app is creating a log at exactly every 10 seconds. Anyone else has the same issue? The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with...
  9. consistent crashes while gaming - events ids 6 and 98 followed by event ids 41

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    consistent crashes while gaming - events ids 6 and 98 followed by event ids 41: Hi, My Computer shuts down while gaming. looking at the event log I always see the following chain of events: [ATTACH] I have tried everything: updated drivers, upgraded CPU / GPU cooling, reinstalled software... upgraded the OS! I see some unlucky people have the...
  10. About error of Event ID 98

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    About error of Event ID 98: I have workstation which is installed on Windows 10 version 1607. I just found out there is <!> mark on C drive in Devices and drives windows. When I take a look at event log, there are event ID 98 error in application event logs in past two months....