Windows 10: System mistakenly showing SSD as HDD,

Discus and support System mistakenly showing SSD as HDD, in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; tried winsat formal, winsat diskformal, winsat disk -drive X but doesnt work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JonathanSoo, Aug 24, 2021.

1. System mistakenly showing SSD as HDD,

tried winsat formal, winsat diskformal, winsat disk -drive X but doesnt work

:)

JonathanSoo, Aug 24, 2021
  2. JosephHW Win User

Windows 10, RAID 1, Optimize Shows HDD, not SSD

In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, (RAID 1, Two SSD's), I see Optimize shows "Hard Disk Drive", NOT "SSD", and I want to be sure defragmentation is not applied to these drives, instead of the proper TRIM utility. What need I do? I found a reply for
    this regarding Windows 8, but not sure how to proceed in Windows 10:

"

Created on October 30, 2013

SSDs Showing up as HDD in system - Windows 8.1 GA/RTM

I had this issue during the preview and it appears to happen again in the final version of 8.1 as well.

Somehow the system is incorrectly registering my 2x RAID SDDs as HDDs, which thus during the weekly "Optimization" runs a defragmentation on them instead correctly running TRIM instead. Which is quite frustrating to see it's still in the final product.

In my preview thread the suggestion to fix this was to run WinSAT (Windows System Assessment Tool) from Powershell. It worked during the preview to correctly identify my SSDs and it appears to work in the final version as well.

The description on how to run it from my previous thread:

"Usually the detection of SSDs can be forced by running the Windows Experience Index (= WEI, file name: WINSAT.EXE).

You may have to run Windows Experience Index to force windows to detect RAID SSD in Windows 8.1.2013

Follow these steps:

a. Press “Windows key + W” from the keyboard.

b. Type “Administrative tools” without quotes in the search box.

c. Select “Administrative tools” option from the list.

d. Then right click on “Windows PowerShell ISE” and select “Run as Administrator” option.

e. Type “WinSAT diskformal” without quotes in the PowerShell and hit Enter.

You will see:

“Win8.1 Preview - Manual execution of the Windows Experience Index.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)”.

f. Close “Windows PowerShell” and run Windows Optimization.

g. This should detect “RAID configured SSD on Windows 8.1."

I highly suggest if you have SSDs, especially in RAID, that you check the Optimize Drives interface to see if it's correctly identifying your drives and if it isn't to run WinSAT diskformal from PowerShell.

JosephHW, Aug 24, 2021
  3. brify Win User
    Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Hi

I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage (I have 1TB cloud storage with 365) and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred
    any data from my old pc yet.

I now wish to setup the pc to have the operating system and program files on the SSD as they are currently and all my Files/Pictures/Music etc on the HDD but I am unsure of the correct procedures and order in which to carry them out. I also want to
    continue using OneDrive for backup and file access from other devices.

I am aware of the following:

• The OneDrive folder is currently on the SSD and is backing up the default Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I wish to move this folder to the HDD but I am not when to do this, looking at the steps below, to prevent any sync issues
    • I know I can move my user folders, Documents, Pictures etc to the HDD by changing the location of these from C: (SSD) to D: (HDD), leaving the User/Username folder on C:
    • I have also noticed that in Settings/System/Storage I can 'change the location where new content is saved' for these folders, what is the difference between this and moving the location of the folders as detailed above.

Can anyone advise on the best/correct method of setting my system up going forward?

Thanks

brify, Aug 24, 2021
  4. System mistakenly showing SSD as HDD,

Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Hi

My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10.

Kindly guide if there is a possibility to copy the windows to SSD ? If so, please suggest the steps.

NipunSingla, Aug 24, 2021
Thema:

System mistakenly showing SSD as HDD,

1. System mistakenly showing SSD as HDD, - Similar Threads - System mistakenly showing

2. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD showing up as HDD: since this question is already closed in thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd-in-device-manager/e1dad58d-4bbb-40f6-862b-783b18f06371 I refer to it herewith again. Since it has at the time of writing this one here one hundred "I've...
  3. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD showing up as HDD: since this question is already closed in thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd-in-device-manager/e1dad58d-4bbb-40f6-862b-783b18f06371 I refer to it herewith again. Since it has at the time of writing this one here one hundred "I've...
  4. SSD now showing as HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD now showing as HDD: I purchased an Alienware Ryzen R12 machine last year.I chose 500 gb SSD and 2 tb HDDWhen I received the machine, I didn't notice at first but the task manager listed BOTH hard drives as SSD!My machine has been SUPER fast and I just considered Dell's mistake to be a free...
  5. SSD now showing as HDD

SSD now showing as HDD: I purchased an Alienware Ryzen R12 machine last year.I chose 500 gb SSD and 2 tb HDDWhen I received the machine, I didn't notice at first but the task manager listed BOTH hard drives as SSD!My machine has been SUPER fast and I just considered Dell's mistake to be a free...
  6. SSD now showing as HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD showing up as HDD: My SSD is showing up as HDD in task manager and disk management, i need it to show up as SSD so i can install windows subsystem for android https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd/d314266f-d87b-446a-bc38-31e6655fed25
  8. SSD showing up as HDD

SSD showing up as HDD: My SSD is showing up as HDD in task manager and disk management, i need it to show up as SSD so i can install windows subsystem for android https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd/d314266f-d87b-446a-bc38-31e6655fed25
  9. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD showing up as HDD: Hey there, I recently had a 1TB Seagate HDD installed on to my Asus ROG laptop which already had an inbuilt 1TB SSD. But I am surprised as to why my Task Manager enlists my SSD with the credentials of my HDD and my HDD with that of my SSD. I know it is switched because my...
  10. Migration to SSD/HDD system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migration to SSD/HDD system: Hi, I have a cloned copy of my existing HDD and am considering buying (or personaly upgrading to) a new system with a SSD and HDD. Obviously the current Windows installation is on a HDD, so is it possiblethat I could I restore the cloned Windows system to a SSD and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. winsat diskformal hdd as ssd