Windows 10: 'System' process high CPU usage

Discus and support 'System' process high CPU usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, Since the past 3-4 days the process called 'System' has been constantly using approximately 35% of my CPU. The usage is pretty much constant... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ihris, Oct 16, 2016.

1. ihris Win User

'System' process high CPU usage

Hello,

Since the past 3-4 days the process called 'System' has been constantly using approximately 35% of my CPU. The usage is pretty much constant all the time. Below you can find screenshots from task manager, resource monitor and process explorer.
    In the past I've never seen this, leaving the PC idle dropped the usage down to almost zero, now the CPU is running at full clock 24/7, heating it up ~55C, which is mildly undesirable.

Attempts done so far to fix the issue, none has worked:
    - Waiting. I leave the PC to run overnight, but it does not seem to help it.
    - Restarting, done multiple times, no effect whatsoever.
    - sfc /scannow, nothing found.
    - Full virus scan, nothing found.
    - The update settings has been set already to not to receive from other pc's. All updates are installed what windows update has to offer.

PC specs:
    Acer VN7 laptop, running Win 10 Home 64bit. HW: i5-6300HQ, 16GB, GTX960M. All drivers up to date.

'System' process high CPU usage [​IMG]

:)

ihris, Oct 16, 2016
  2. Kem Mon Win User

"System" process with high CPU usage

Hi
    Haiber_Support,

Have you tried defragmenting your PC? And also, have you tried performing my suggested troubleshooting for this
    matter? If you have, kindly defrag you system if you haven't done it yet. To defrag your PC, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Defragment and Optimize Drivers.

• Select
      the disk drives that you want to optimize and defrag.

• Click on
      Optimize.

Note:
    Optimizing your disk drives may take
    a while, please do not cancel or stop the optimizing process.

For more information regarding
    defragment and optimizing Windows 10, refer to the article entitled
    "Defragment your Windows
    10 PC"

After optimizing, kindly disable fast startup. To do this, kindly refer to the forum article entitled
    "Fast
    Startup – How to disable if it's causing problems"

You can also check the article entitled
    "Tips to improve PC performance
    in Windows 10"
    and see if it helps.

We'll be waiting for any updates.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 16, 2016
  3. "System" process with high CPU usage

Hmm I just found this here:

Re: ProBook 450 with high CPU usage

I think HP tells you, it's normal, because they have any idea, why this is happening.

Hi, I have the same problem, with my Probook 450 G5. Even after updating all drivers, this problem appears. I found out, that if I disable and reenable the Conneaxt ISST Audio in Device Manager, the system
    usage goes down.

This "solves" it for me too, but this could not be the solution for it 'System' process high CPU usage :(

Haiberg_Support, Oct 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you'll need to do some analysis e.g.
    High CPU utilization by process

You can also try a process of elimination - does this happen after a clean boot/in safe mode?
    If you can find a situation when it does not occur you may be able to work from there.

dalchina, Oct 16, 2016
  5. ihris Win User
    The issue has seemingly self-repaired, at least for now. I tried to reinstall all the drivers I could, but nothing helped. I waited for another X days due to not having much clue what to do. Eventually I found that the Acer care center or whatever was offering 2 updates to the thunderbolt drivers, which I tried to install. The first one installed ok, but the second one keeps failing with the message "part1 must be installed," even it is. After that failed attempt and several more restarts, the situation is back to normal. For now, that is.

ihris, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 'System' process high CPU usage - Similar Threads - 'System' process high

2. High System Process CPU Usage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High System Process CPU Usage.: Hello, I have an issue, with my computer, for some reason, even after restarting it, the system proccess uses my cpu from 10% to 25%Any ideas why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-system-process-cpu-usage/6a2d10fe-d652-40ea-a6f8-99412bb0b8f0
  3. High System Process CPU Usage.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High System Process CPU Usage.: Hello, I have an issue, with my computer, for some reason, even after restarting it, the system proccess uses my cpu from 10% to 25%Any ideas why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-system-process-cpu-usage/6a2d10fe-d652-40ea-a6f8-99412bb0b8f0
  4. 'System' process ntoskrnl.exe high CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    'System' process ntoskrnl.exe high CPU usage: I've been running a game, until I realised the framerate suddenly reduced for a while: from 350 Framerate Per Second FPS to 230. I checked the Task Manager to make sure if everything is going as intended or not, and it looks like the process called just "System" is using 25%...
  5. 'System' process ntoskrnl.exe high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'System' process ntoskrnl.exe high CPU usage: I've been running a game, until I realised the framerate suddenly reduced for a while: from 350 Framerate Per Second FPS to 230. I checked the Task Manager to make sure if everything is going as intended or not, and it looks like the process called just "System" is using 25%...
  6. 'System' process ntoskrnl.exe high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. High CPU usage by process called "System"

High CPU usage by process called "System": I have a brand-new DELL XPS 9500 and about half of the time the process called "System" uses between 10 and 15% CPU which is enough to make the computer very hot and that the fans turn at 70% capacity until I reboot the laptop. Dell support said that the use of the...
  8. help for the system process high cpu usage

help for the system process high cpu usage: Whenever I leave my PC idle it always, every single time after exactly 9 minutes causes a significant spike in CPU usage. It will not stop and will remain that way until i merely press a button or move the mouse by 1 milimeter. I've also created another user and it happens...
  9. System Idle Process High CPU Usage

System Idle Process High CPU Usage: I had a Windows 7 Professional and then thought about upgrading to Windows 10 since Windows 7 is coming to end. When I upgraded to Windows 10 i got a random Blue Screen. My PC restarted i opened Task Manager and there it is 100% CPU Usage non-stop. Its really annoying i read...
  10. system process high cpu usage

system process high cpu usage: so i went to task manager and i saw system process has high cpu usage and it was after when i connected 2 monitors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-process-high-cpu-usage/f6b03902-5c5d-45ad-a4b1-3087455f1c83