Windows 10: "System" process hogging cpu, traced to non existent driver

Discus and support "System" process hogging cpu, traced to non existent driver in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all. A few weeks ago I installed an audio recording software, but only used it once initially, and haven't used it since. I noticed a little... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by joeybloey, Dec 30, 2019.

1. joeybloey Win User

"System" process hogging cpu, traced to non existent driver

Hi all.

A few weeks ago I installed an audio recording software, but only used it once initially, and haven't used it since. I noticed a little later on that a process called "system" was hogging 15-20% cpu when my games were running, and I had never seen this before.

I did not make the connection until today. I downloaded MS process viewer, and opened up the thread list, where it showed a driver as the cause, or at least it pointed to it as the "start address". The driver name is " stdriver64.sys " and belongs to NCH software.

This surprised me because when this is using cpu, I am not running the software, so It shouldn't be doing that. I then went into MS services and looked for the running service related to it and found nothing.

So then I tried uninstalling the software, and rebooted, but still, the thread shows the driver using cpu! I searched my pc for the driver and it was gone from both the win folder and the app folder.

So I'm stuck at this point. The software and driver are gone, but this process thread is still referencing it for a "start address" and it's hogging my cpu, and I believe this is causing lots of stuttering and lag spikes in my game.

So, I would appreciate some help on how to fix this, and am also curious how this problem could have occurred in the first place. Thanks.

:)

joeybloey, Dec 30, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

System and compressed memory background process persistently consuming high CPU resources

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

1. Did you make any changes to your computer prior to this issue?

2. Which anti-virus program is installed on the PC?

High CPU usage occurs for various reasons, for example: virus/malware infections, out-of-date drivers, anti-virus programs or other third-party programs, etc;

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with system. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your System
    Maintenance.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter

Method 2: Check if the issue resolves in
    Safe Mode.

Refer this article to boot to safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Steps to reduce the CPU usage.

1-Press "Ctrl," "Shift," and "Esc" on your keyboard. This brings up the task manager without any intermediary screen.

2-Click the "Processes" button on the task manager.

3-Click the "CPU" column header until the arrow next to the label points down.

4-Right-click a program you recognize that uses a high percentage of the CPU and click "End Process." Click "End Process" to reconfirm. This eases up on the CPU's load. Use this step if you're not using a process or if the process has stopped responding. Do
    not use this procedure for windows processes.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks.

Pavan_N, Dec 30, 2019
  3. Josef Bri Win User
    Process called "System" using 10+ % of my CPU please help !

Hi,

Thank you for letting us know.

ntoskrnl.exe is an operating system kernel. It is a fundamental part of the system. However, there are parts of it that might be hogging usage on your system.

What we suggest is disabling a few system services running on the background. Follow the steps below:

• Press Window key + R and type in services.msc
    • The services window will popup. Now a few service task will appear, locate
      Superfetch
      service, double-click on it and select Properties.
    • Once the Properties window comes up, under the General tab, find the section that says,
      Service status. There should be a Stop button. Click on it.
    • Close all windows Services,
    • Restart the PC.

Do check your Task Manager if the same system (ntoskrnl.exe) process appears again.

Looking forward to your response.

Josef Bri, Dec 30, 2019
  4. "System" process hogging cpu, traced to non existent driver

System Idle Process CPU Allocation?

Hi,

I am Sumit, an Independent advisor and a Microsoft MVP here to help.

System Idle Process, as the name suggests is a process that indicates CPU is idle and is not being used, aka is at rest. This is done to totalize CPU usage to 100 between the processes.

So you do not have to worry about anything.

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

"System" process hogging cpu, traced to non existent driver

1. "System" process hogging cpu, traced to non existent driver - Similar Threads - System process hogging

2. system process using CPU 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system process using CPU 100%: while the laptop is working perfectly fine, suddenly system starts to lag and when open task manager there is a process named system hogging all the cpu and al 8cores, 16 LP are running at 100% utilization and their is no end to it, had to force restart my laptop....
  3. Memory integrity blocked by non-existant drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory integrity blocked by non-existant drivers: Like a lot of people, I'm having trouble with Memory integrity being blocked by incompatible logitech drivers. My problem is that I can't seem to find any of these drivers anywhere on my computer. I don't have any logitech software or peripherals installed that I can find,...
  4. Memory integrity blocked by non-existant drivers

Memory integrity blocked by non-existant drivers: Like a lot of people, I'm having trouble with Memory integrity being blocked by incompatible logitech drivers. My problem is that I can't seem to find any of these drivers anywhere on my computer. I don't have any logitech software or peripherals installed that I can find,...
  5. System Idle Process high cpu

System Idle Process high cpu: Lately my pc lagging alot And I checked it In task manager And I found System Idle Process get high cpu can you pls help me to solve it I reset the pc but still the same isue...
  6. System process hogging 20% of CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System process hogging 20% of CPU: Why does the System process suck up around 20% of the CPU all the time? Is it because of HP bloatware? [ATTACH] My PC info can you see this screenshot?: [ATTACH]...
  7. Hidden CPU hogs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hidden CPU hogs: When high CPU usage is sapping a PC, I often can't find the cause in Task Manager. The total CPU use will be high, but no processes will be visible actually hogging the CPU. "Show all processes" or Resource Monitor don't reveal the culprit either. What is usually going on in...
  8. antimalware is hogging my cpu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    antimalware is hogging my cpu: how do I remove antimalware https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/antimalware-is-hogging-my-cpu/8e04655c-8234-4499-8e05-1430e3a57db8"
  9. Task Manager is hogging the CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager is hogging the CPU: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, auto updates. Crapware startup routines disabled except for a couple of printer updaters. Lately I have noticed laggy system performance. I see that Task Manager is hogging the CPU, routinely taking up 15-20% of the CPU. I...
  10. Two processes hogging up disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Two processes hogging up disk: I find it very annoying that Radeon Settings: Host Application and Microsoft Office Click-to-run is hogging up my disk every time I start up a game. I just want to confirm if it is safe to uninstall Radeon Settings because my laptop has dual graphics feature and I fear...